The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I won't pretend to know a resolution that would work for both sides. All I know is my feelings on how the season will go would change drastically if Revis sits out this year. I think he's too important to this team. I'm starting to get nervous.

2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

As you've seen in the past, his word means nothing when it comes to that (and I mean that in a good way), and I don't see why it would be a bad idea. You can't possibly tell me that there's no price that Revis is worth. If they're offered what could be deemed worth it, they take it. Simple as that. Moronic is being blind to the fact that this could get ugly and there is a potential out if the price is right.

3. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Check out this from the Schwartz & Feinsod website:

http://www.sffootball.net/news.asp?Article_ID=438

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Okay. Well if that is the Schwartz strategy then why is he bothering to publicly kiss Mr. Johnson's posterior ? Why doesn't he just keep attacking the Jets for being doubletalking hypocrites blah blah blah? That would blow things up faster and signal to any teams that would be interested in paying Aso money that they should hammer Tannenbaum's phone and email for a deal. Instead he wants to meet Mr. Johnson.... Seems like Revis and Schwartz may be realizing that they aren't likely to get the Aso deal anywhere and that its probably time to get the best deal they can and move on and that they need Mr. Johnson to cooperate and help them save face.

But you could be right JCo. This could be all about forcing a trade. That is a real gamble it seems and its hardly a guarantee. Far from it actually. I think the Jets have a huge incentive not to trade Revis if he chooses to sit out.

5. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

They didn't actually tear the current contract up.

I'm not familiar with how contracts in Canada work, but here in the US just because both sides agree that he needs a new contract doesn't make his current one void.

Until both sides sign on the dotted line for a new deal Revis' current contract is absolutely relevant.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Yeah MBG is having a little trouble understanding that agreeing that somebody should get a new deal isn't the same as voiding an existing contract and replacing the existing contract with the new contract.

The existing contract matters greatly here because it controls the parties' rights and obligations currently and going forward for YEARS while the existing contract remains in force. Its a valid, in force contract and it controls what the parties can do currently and going forward. Its a fairly basic concept.

7. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

LMAOOO, dude your signature is hilarious. Im still laughing mad good. I dont dislike you champion69, but that shits great

8. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

When is this Revis sigining thing going to end?

9. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I never mentioned the word "trade." I don't know where you got that.

In response to the bolded questions... it makes no sense for Team Revis to be anything but polite and courteous while Woody Johnson falls into their little trap. Like I've been saying, their biggest weapon is shouting "the Jets are liars!" It's a pretty impotent weapon... unless the team's owner says a boatload of dishonest shit.

There is no way you can spin Woody Johnson's statements as anything but a series of painful missteps.

10. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Indeed.
    fillibuster

11. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

At 5:34 pm

12. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

at 5:35pm.....

13. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I don't think you're catching onto what the issue is. He wants his money fully guaranteed, which the Jets can't do due to the current CBA, unless they give it to him up front in a signing bonus.

14. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Trade discussion is certainly legitimate. I don't care if Tannenbaum said he wasn't going anywhere. Until he signs a long term deal, anything can happen. I actually view it as a very real possibility. They aren't going to let him sit out all year, I guarantee that. They would definitely trade him before that happened. They'd be fools not to.

15. 624

624 Banned

At 5:36pm...

16. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Um, first i think its pretty easy to just accept them, no spin needed.

second, Mr. J has Schwartz going from calling somebody a liar to Schwartz dropping to his knees and slobbering about how much of an honor it would be to meet Mr. Johnson. If you want to call it a misstep by Mr. Johnson to reduce Schwartz to begging and grovelling for a meeting, feel free to think so. Its a pretty nice freaking misstep if you ask me.

Third I thought you indicated earlier that blowing up the deal was what you think Schwartz's strategy has been all along. By that I interpreted you to mean that Schwartz is looking to blow up the deal with the Jets in order to get the Aso deal elsewhere. But apparently you think that the Jets are going to cave in and give Revis the Aso deal? Is that what you think? Care to explain?

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Idk if it has been posted yet but this thread beat the brett favre thread

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Why wouldn't they refuse to trade him? It seems like the smartest position to take unless somebody makes the Jets an offer they cannot refuse.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

no way they trade him or even discuss it...the jets basically hold his lifetime rights if he holds out because he contract will freeze. So he can retire with whatever money he has left..and knowing most young NFL players I doubt he has much...or he can come to his senses and work out a deal. If he has a good year this year the jets would pick up the two year option next season and try to restructure it with front end signing bonus and be done with it. Just do that deal now and extend him for 5 years. Avg it out to $12 mill or so a year and move on. At some point the guy will get paid and I expect it will be sooner rather than later.

20. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Why will he report week 10?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.