The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hypocritical but well within the rules, getting 50K from agents while still playing for your respective school is not. The system is a joke but unless the NCAA addresses the issue it will only get worse.

2. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Yes. But in reality what else can Schwartz do at this point? I mean they are close to the edge here in many ways. Its time to bring this deal home. Not getting a deal done is bad for Revis and REALLY bad for Schwartz. Time to meet Mr. Johnson and come to terms or risk screwing the pooch royally.

If Revis doesn't get a nice new deal soon - Schwartz isn't getting any new good clients soon. In fact he could well be fired and implicitely blamed by Revis and the Jets for the delay and misinformation.

Schwartz has alot of reasons for making sure that Mr. Johnson doesn't feel insulted in anyway.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I would say that calling Mr. Johnson a liar, and then immediately say that he's not calling him a liar, is not a good bargaining position.

4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Ugh...Woody just said that he doesn't think anyone promised Revis a new contract after last season. I can't believe he said that. He should have just said "That's between Mike T and the player." That statement is gonna cause some issues.....

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

too bad school's can't afford more female athletics to even the numbers rather than cut programs. school's sure could benefit if they had sports that generated millions of dollars that funded the school's athletic programs.

6. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I think you guys are completely missing the point of the Schwartz quote.

Kissing up? Panicking? No, no, no...

Schwartz just caught Johnson in a lie. Responding cordially is a tactical maneuver. Johnson isn't willing to meet, so Team Revis just made a deft PR move by politely welcoming a meeting.

Woody's little poorly prepped presser was damage control. Bad damage control. Johnson responded to an agent's only tactic- "these guys are liars!"- by lying, getting caught, and then staging a press conference to do some more lying.

Today's a win for FeinSchwartz & co. Damn.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, Revis is a great player. The 2010 Jets will be better with him than they would be if he foolishly decides to sit out the season. That said, the Jets should be a playoff team either way. After all,

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgL4HZAy3wk[/YOUTUBE]

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Does anyone else think this thing could end in a trade? Tannenbaum has shown that he'l get rid of anyone, and I don't think even Revis is above that. If they found a trade partner, say Washington or Oakland, that would give up a shitload to get him, I could see him pulling the trigger on it, then signing Harris and Mangold to long term deals.

Please note that I'm not saying this is what I want to happen. I want him locked up long term, as long as it doesn't interfere with Harris and Mangold. I just wouldn't put it past Tannenbaum to rake some team over the coals and move on.

9. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Ravens, after they get spanked in week 1.

10. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get a little annoyed we still have him. I understand how good he is, but players like this are not needed on this team. I want a guy who wants to be on the team, not one that's going to try to get out of the remaining 3 years of his contract. If you can get a lot for him, make it happen. If not, let him cry all he wants. At this point, I don't want the Jets to give in one bit. Who cares what was promised? I'm sure if they promised anything, it was that we'd revisit the contract or talk about it. I highly doubt they said we're going to make you the highest paid CB in the league despite you having 3 years left.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

JCo interesting take. Totally disagree though. Schwartz needs this to not blow up. Revis needs to get paid. This is all posturing and negotiation. First and foremost, Revis & Schwartz don't want to insult the guy who is in charge of signing the checks. Getting a sense that Woody is getting to the point where although he likes Revis personally, he is not going to take any more crap from neil schwartz.

If neil wants to pursue a failed negotiation strategy that threatens to leave his client on the sidelines incurring fines and not getting paid, then Mr. Johnson may be willing to accommodate him.

I don't see how even mildly trashing Woody in the press and then quickly sucking up and retracting the comments helps Revis or Schwartz get paid. I think it makes Schwartz sound weak and indicates he realizes that he needs to get a deal done w/Woody and that the last thing he needs to be doing is antagonizing Mr. Johnson.

12. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

mehta has some good info... not sure if this was already posted

13. MikeSLTJ23

I don't think you actively trade him, but with this situation, you have to think buyers are calling. If you seem to eager, the price is lower. I wouldn't publicly say we're trading him either. I don't think they will end up trading him, but this is his 2nd holdout in 4 years; and from the sound of it, the Jets are offering him something very good, but I guess no one really knows for sure.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Yes Mike, but I think its pretty safe to presume that the Jets are offering him something very good - millions of dollars. I don't really see that the Jets would ever trade him unless it was for an amazing deal.

The Jets can afford to wait this out. Meaning they can let this go all season and re-assess. Meanwhile Revis will be not playing and not getting paid. Perhaps Revis will fire Schwartz and get a new agent who knows how to get his client paid and not penalized. Then next off season, if the Jets want to they can trade Revis or sign him, or just let him sit and not get paid for another year. And then maybe trade him during the following season, or just let him sit and not get paid for another year.

15. MikeSLTJ23

That's the problem I have with Revis right now. I'm sure the Jets have offered him something good, and the way the media's portraying it, is he's rejecting anything until he gets that Aso deal. He's being outright unfair and egotistical. I want the Jets to win the Super Bowl, and spending the farm on one player is not going to do it. It's a QB driven league, not a CB driven league. With 4 and 5 wide sets, a QB can find an open guy if everyone's not covered, so I don't care if the #1 is blanketed. It just doesn't make much sense to sink Aso money into the CB position now in my opinion. You're better off sealing up the pass rush than having a lockdown CB I think.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i'm glad the trading bullshit was put to rest. Seeing people post about trades was moronic.

Its sad that Tanny had to put that out there.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

we all just have to pray this gets done before September.

We can't do anything, we can speculate about who the bigger douche is between the two camps until we pass out, but we don't really know whats going on or who isn't doing what.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a difference between saying "we'd like to work out a new deal" and saying "we're going to tear up the old deal and make a new one." If Tannenbaum said the first then Woody is correct and Revis was promised nothing, just offered the opportunity to make a better deal than the one he had. If Tannenbaum said the second that's close to a firing offense in my opinion.

19. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Schwartz needs this to not blow up? No, man. Schwartz and Feinsod want this to blow up. That's how Roddy White got paid, that's how they aim to get Darrelle Revis and Vincent Jackson paid.

Their only proven negotiating tactic is hardball mudslinging. That means they feed on winning petty battles in the media, in the locker room, etc.

That would have been great. I would have loved if Mr. Johnson hadn't accommodated them. A simple "no comment" on all Revis questions would have worked well three weeks deep into the season.

"No comment" would have worked. "I'm not gonna meet with these FeinSchwartz bitches" would have worked even better! But "I totally wanted wanted to meet, but they said they didn't wanna" just doesn't work! It's not just a lie; it's an unnecessary lie, and it's such an easily disproven statement. That's the heartbreaker.

Then, why not pepper a press conference with refuted statements every Jets fan, and more importantly, every Jet knows to be true? Everyone in that locker room knows Darrelle Revis was approached about a new contract. Their boss just said, "nuh-uh, backsies!"

Press conferences like Woody's today are the only type of bullet that fits into the Schwartzod rifle.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's only going to be a trade if somebody out there is willing to meet Revis contract demands this year. Given the situation that the owners face, with 2011 an unknown at this point, I highly doubt that any sane owner would trade for Revis right now. The two possible exceptions are Washington, assuming that Snyder gets all hyped up and runs over Shanahan in the process, which is unlikely, and Seattle, where Paul Allen has so much money and so little to show for it over the years that he might be willing to spend a huge sum on Revis if Pete Carroll asked him too. I think both scenarios are unlikely. Revis is either going to play for the Jets this year or sit out until game 10 and then report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.