The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I thought I read that this morning but I think it may have been Florio writing it. I'll look for it.

Well, this isn't it but this said it was going to cost them 12 million to tag him again.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/02/four_down_territory_feb_4_asom.html

#2221 Don, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

A non-biased point of view...

I disagree with the tactics Revis is using but we are all speculating that Woody is cheap or Revis is greedy. None of us have any information related to the terms of the contracts that have been going back and forth. The only one was the supposed $100 mil leaked contract.

Until we see numbers we shouldn't be taking sides. From one perspective, you can side with the players. Unlike any other sport, the NFL teams do not have to honor the contracts to their full length or terms. So I call shenanigans on the NFL and owners for that bullshit and NFLPA for accepting that bullshit. The teams can cut you out at any time and the only thing you have is whatever money was contracted as guaranteed.

Conversely, we don't want the team to buy the farm cause it may fuck up our future. We all want to win but a Win this year may cost us some special players next year. Additionally, neing cap strapped because of one player will not help this team over the long haul. We want Tanny to do what is right for the team now, but not deep 6 it for the future.

We are all harping on Revis saying he is greedy. But what if he plays for $1 mil and breaks a leg like Leon? Then its - oh well, draft another corner. The difference between Revis & Leon was that LW was made a reasonable offer for a 3rd down back. However, he wanted #1 back money. So he took a chance. Otherwise he would be rehabbing for this season with the Jets.

Nobody really knows what offers are being proposed for Revis so we shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

On a personal note - I'd choke Revis myself if I had the chance cause we are on the verge of something great and he is fucking it up for a fan base salivating for a championship.

On a TGG note - looks like pats-hater went off the deep end and started another Revis thread out in the main forum. How did he miss the sticky? Who's going to do the counseling???

3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Leave it to Al Davis to be ahead of the curve.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's a little more complicated then some crazy old fuck not wanting to dish out the money. The Jets could become the late 90's 49ers and Cowboys or even worse the post Parcells Jets (who had nothing to show but 1 AFC Title game for the all the money they spent) By giving into Revis's demands the Jets could bankrupt their future. Does it hurt the team with him not being there? Absolutely but I don't think it's a nail in the coffin which is why Revis will be there at the end of the day. The Jets can win without Revis but he's banking on them not. If he's not out there by week 4 and the Jets are 4-0 he's fucked himself for the future because teams will say he's a product of the system which would hurt his overall value on the market. He can't take that risk.

5. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

If Cromartie or Wilson go down during TC or Pre-season, do you think the Jets would cave in to Revis' demands?

I just keep going back to the line Ozzie Newsome said to Tanny when Rex was going to the jets - "he'd better get ready to go get Ryan some corners and be willing to spend on them."

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Care to tell me how many corners Baltimore drafted from 2006-2009?

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That would immediately strengthen Revis' position, and the Jets would end up being the one to concede more on the negotiating table. But this deal isn't just about this season.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Care to tell me why that matters when they signed players like Fabian Washington and Dominique Foxworth?

By the way, the Ravens have drafted six defensive backs since 2006. They've signed or acquired at least five free agents at DB too.

3 - 2006
    0 - 2007
    2 - 2008
    1 - 2009
    0 - 2010

I bet they're regretting they're decision to draft two tight ends instead of a corner in 2010's draft.

#2228 Mr Electric, Aug 10, 2010
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Shaun Ellis was a half sack behind Randy Starks, who lead the NFL in sacks by a 3-4 DE last season. Francessa has the typical media hack problem that he talks a lot more than he knows. That doesn't mean that he's clueless about football because obviously he isn't but to say the Jet's DE's can't get to the QB when Ellis was the #2 sacker from DE in the 3-4 last year just sounds pretty clueless.

10. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

I see the point you are trying to make, but keep in mind the Ravens did swing a draft-day trade for Fabian Washington and signed Foxworth to a pretty significant FA Deal during that time.

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

12. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

Good points. I'm also wary of the precedent a major deal would send, but it would be interesting to see how willing Woody and FO would be willing to punt this season for the future of the team if we have a rash of CB injuries.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The Jets don't want to appear weak either. They'll eventually have to deal with Mangold, Harris, Greene, Edwards, etc, and they don't want those players pulling the same antics just to get the deal they want.

They're thinking about the future of this team, not just going for broke this one season, and acting accordingly.

14. Hobbes3259

Rex was already gone (I should have omitted 2009)...

But as Mr E points out they did draft 6 DB's in that time frame.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's not about the money. Presumably they have already offered him a 100 million dollar contract. It's the guaranteed money that is the sticking point and that won't change. They can only give guaranteed money in a signing bonus because of no CBA and there is no way they are going to give him what he wants all up front. He would be a fool and the Jets would be the laughing stock of the league. He either changes his demands or he can plan to sit out the next 4 or 5 years.

16. Hobbes3259

By the same token, Mevi$ could sprain an ankle getting out of car tomorrow...

the IF sword cuts both ways.

17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

1st of all, Mevi$ is all about the ME and the $$ signs, stop worrying about him and his shitty uncle and give praise to the guys who are out on the field.

2nd, time to start a new thread... this is way too long

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And you are dearly wrong.

Not all 3-4 defenses are born equal, and shouldn't be treated equal.

For instance, 3-4 installed by Bum Phillips always features a DE that goes after the QB. Famous example happens to be Bruce Smith. That lineage now belongs to Wade Phillips in Dallas, and you won't find two space-eating DEs in Dallas DL lineup, as you see in Pittsburgh DL lineup. In case of Pittsburgh 3-4, aka "Blitzburgh" defense, made popular by Dick Lebeau, the three linemen are required to grab a hold of two men in front of them, and control the respective gaps, so the LBs can flow into the zone and go after the ballcarrier/QB.

The most intriguing example comes from Belicheat; in his 3-4, DEs are at times asked to command double team, but at times are asked to go after the QB. One would have to be a complete DL to play DE for Cheats.

It's all about "how" they run it, not "what" they run it.

#2238 Zach, Aug 10, 2010
  19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Out of the six, only four remain on the roster - Tommy Zbikowski, Dawan Landry, Lardarius Webb, and Haruki Nakumura are on the roster.

I remember they David Pittman, who was a small school corner prospect, in the third round a few years ago. I have no idea where he is now, but it's obvious that pick didn't work out.

...still that's a good amount of defensive backs selected. Ryan may have not been the GM in Baltimore, but I guarantee he had a say in who they picked for his defense.

The Ravens made moves through free agency, just like we did. They signed a corners like Washington, Foxworth, and Carr to compete with their draft picks. The only reason they're in trouble now is because of injury/lack of depth.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He did.

Tom Z. was a prosepct Rex wanted in the worst way. He got him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.