The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

Let the church say Amen! :)

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis is a great corner, but...

If he played on a weak defense there's nothing he could do to make it all that much better. The opposing offense would just ignore his 1 on 1 and go about the process of breaking down the weak defense at its weakest points.

If he was a NT or ILB or even a FS he might be able to swing a weak defense into a stronger posture. That'd be because he was sitting in the middle of the field and able to have a strong effect on play in either direction on any given play. It'd be harder for the opponent to just ignore him and break down other positions. Obviously the NT and ILB are closer to the ball and more likely to make an impactful play on any given play so their effect would be greater than the FS, who has several people in front of him who have to do their jobs before his matters much.

The NFL's second best corner plays on one of its worst teams and has done so for many years. Yes, Aso is a great player but he's not an impact player in terms of making his team good. He's just a supporting player who needs a lot of other good players around him before his efforts turn into wins. Same for Revis.

3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I think he will play and this is why

How can the THE most talented player at his position and arguably ever, hold out an entire season in his prime coming off a performance like he gave last season?

He can't. I just dont think he can do it, by the way he plays, trains, studies film and talks in interviews the guy is a work horse that just wants to absorb as much knowlege as he can and become that much better because he thinks he can be the greatest ever at his position. He really just seems to love the game and the competivtive nature of it if he holds out for regular season I would be suprized

and by no means am I justifying his actions I agree with a lot of you I think he's been convincied by uncle dumbass and his agent that its all about the money which has made him lose sight of whats best for the team and taking that money that could be used for good young prospects is "his right" cause he's worth it

The extra money is deserved no doubt, Revis will be the 1st to tell you lol but Tanny knows it aswell and has never denied it. I dont want the team to have to suffer but Revis is just so dominant at his position I think people forget sometimes how much better he is compared to even the elite CB's around the NFL, he's in a league of his own. I just cant think of any other player in the NFL that sets themselves apart from the rest at their position like he does

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah I agree, I was mostly referring to the statement that he wouldn't be as effective if he played on a defense that played zone and didn't get after the QB which is most likely a shitty defense

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:lol: Nice. I guess you don't understand this is the best jersey of its kind though.

6. Jetsfan711

Jetsfan711 New Member

Ahhhh, gotta love the ignore feature!

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Manish is about to be on WFAN (of course I may be a couple minutes behind since I'm on the internet stream).
    [​IMG]

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

DerrellRevisHuman...that has got to be the best sig I have ever seen lol lol lol

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Excellent post, teams could clearly shy away from Revis if he was playing in say Tampa. Aqib Talib (or whatever his name is) doesn't send shivers down anybody's spines so they'd pick on him all day. Not to diminish Revis's skill set in anyway but his impact is the greatest on a team like the Jets who are able to pressure the QB and force him into making poor decisions. I'm not going to sell the guy short but I think the Jets are very comfortable with Cro and Wilson which is why we don't see any urgency coming from Tanny. our FO knows we hold all the cards so I don't see us making a poor decision here. What is the leverage for Revis? Sit out the year and risk there being a lockout next year essentially missing 2 years of football and still having a few years left under contract with the Jets? I have a feeling that Cromartie is going to return to the player he was before SD changed defensive schemes and Wilson may not be a fantastic player right away but he would be the #2 CB on most of the teams in the league.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Are you trying to get him to blow you or something?

11. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

DavidClowney

@Revis24 Homeboy Come on back 2 practice so we can win this Super Bowl I'll hook U up wit half my check. Not much but itll hold U down 4 now

Glad to hear some players get in the mix.

12. DJphinfan

DJphinfan Member

lol....Gepetto..ok chisel chest...

I would bet that the line would favor us if Revis is not on your team when we play...

I really don't think we are a good matchup for you without the best secondary player in the game....

Our balance would be too much for you....

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Revis is holding out for know reason at all.

14. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm really wishing this is a big ploy to get ratings for Hard Knocks... we can't afford to go into the season without Revis...

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

nobody gives a shit...

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That's what AbdulSalam thinks is going on which means that probably isn't what's going on

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha...chisel chest...nicely done.

I've watched your secondary try to cover WRs last season......despited Mushin Muhammad's ill-conceived ramblings...they're not very good.

Plus you D-line is in shambles (no Merling, Fergie retiring, Odrick is a rookie).

But....the game still has to be played.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

While I figure the Jets are probably being a little overboard on playing hardball, I just can't get on Revis' side with this at this point.

I want Revis with the Jets because he makes a huge difference to our defense. At the same time though, I'm willing to live with Cro and Wilson if Revis doesn't return. We're still pretty damned good without him.

I know, it's sacrilege to be anti-Revis, but whatever. If he holds out past the preseason I want to trade him. We can get a nice package for him and the headache will be gone. Give the money to Mangold and Harris.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

AbdulSalam was bitching yesterday about the Revis negotiations taking place in a diner.

His dumbfuckery knows no bounds.

20. DJphinfan

DJphinfan Member

Ive been called a Gepetto and a penis..lol

not sure how you can say that without feeling dirty...especially after the outcome of the past 3 games, 2 being in your own park..all being big games..

We've done nothing but get better across the board since...

Without revis, you should be afraid...

Don't quite think your quantifying how good your own player is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.