The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I agree, i wasnt really using this example towards either side really in the revis debate, it was more of a side conversation cuz the Revis talk is kinda stale.

edit: just re-read my post, i definitely set it up like thats the point I was trying to make lol my bad.

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Woody Johnson said that the contract offer on Friday did not deviate from the offer 6 months ago. Who knows what that offer was, but I'm guessing it's up towards the $15mil a year.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing he has backed down.

Do you really think an extra $9 million over 3 years is going to make him happy? He basically had $21 million guaranteed over the next 3 years if he wanted it, but this guy is speculating that $30 million over the next 3 would do it.

Why wouldn't the Jets sign the best CB in the game for $10 million a year for 3 of his prime years? Why would Revis be happy with that?

4. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

I may remember incorrectly but didnt our loss of offensive ability lead to missed field goals, thus giving manning a short field?

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I still don't think it's a salary issue. Revis just wants a high amount of guaranteed money. He'll sign a 10/year $100 million contract if more than $30 million of it is guaranteed.

6. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

How about 17/$100?

7. WhiteShoeWillis

You're his agent? What happened to him wanting 50 cents more than Aso?

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Because it would raise his total guaranteed money? I'm really not going to pretend to know what Revis' motivations are but it's not like he's the only one the Jets are not paying this year.

I really think Woody is trying to tone down the spending at this point, and it's not just the cuts (which I agreed with) or the Revis situation(which I obviously don't).

If this was just Revis' demands being too high I could understand that but with Mangold and Harris saying that neither of them are expecting a new deal this season then I'm more inclined to believe that it's coming from management.

They have a chance to lock up at least half of the remaining "core four" here, yet the two who should be the easiest to pay are actually further behind in the negotiation process than Revis is. Once they knew that they weren't going to be able to offer Revis a contract that he would agree to, they should have been jumping on the next priority. The FO is not doing that right now and that, more than anything else, scares me the most right now.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Think about it. A $15 million/year average is insane when he talks about wanting to be a Jet "for life". Aso made $28 million in guaranteed money. The hold on the contract talks has reportedly been guaranteed money. That's the stickler. It's reasonable to assume that he's asking for around $30 million in guaranteed money.

10. CatoTheElder

The short field certainly helped Manning, but it's not like we haven't seen him go 80+ yards on consecutive drives that season.

11. 624

624 Banned

Brady and Manning don't miss wide open receivers often, but to Revis' credit they could have been scared to under throw it because of Darrelle's presence, causing them to overthrow.

Them knowing that the best CB in the NFL is on their intended target definitely goes through their mind when making the throw, which could lead to a miss.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I was always of the opinion that those two deals would have to come after Revis because his will be the biggest. Tanny needs to know what he's working with before he gets to them. The D'Brick deal was actually more cap friendly than his rookie deal for the next two years, which would clear up some money for the other three.

I would love to see the actual numbers being thrown around.

13. CatoTheElder

Exactly. That's what every article that refers to "total compensation" has talking about.

14. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

True, in any case losing games without key memebers of your team sucks because there will always be that "what if" factor. This is whats upsetting me about Revis not coming in, what could have been. I know that injuries are unavoidable but this $$ crap should be.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It still isn't that simple (well to you and I it is). The Jets are reluctant to give huge signing bonus's. Pretty much no team is going to give a huge signing bonus a year before an impending lockout.

For Revis to get that 3 year 30 million, there would still have to be substantial upfront money.

That said I think the above deal would be a little light to get something done. That would make the sticking point of signing bonus even worse..........

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I think $30 million guaranteed is being a little optimistic. He did just have essentially $21 million guaranteed which he just gave up by not showing up to camp. Obviously I'm just guessing here, but I think he's looking for a much higher number than $30 million.

I think the biggest problem is the restrictions on the amount of fully guaranteed money the Jets can offer with all the skill/injury jazz. Revis wants to have this money up front as a signing bonus.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's all about the guaranteed money. Everything Revis has alluded to in the past has pointed too that. That's why the Leon situation stuck to him, and why guaranteed money is mentioned over and over again.

18. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

His agent has told Ian O'Connor of ESPN he will sit out

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=5450529

To hell with him, I still feel this team can still win the superbowl without him. The key is health and sanchez.

Revis in my mind would be taking a big risk to sit out. For one thing if the jets were to win the superbowl without him, how much would that suck to have missed out on that?

The other issue is even if the jets get back to the AFC Championship Game at the very least, then the front office may not be inclined at all to pick up his option. Revis opts out and becomes a restricted free agent. The Jets slap a first and third round tender.

The ball is really not in his court if it comes to that point. What's he going to do then if no one gives him an offer sheet, even though the odds are he will get an offer sheet.

The better question is at that point would he really rather take the money and be part a bad or average team for 6 or 7 years?

I will say this, the team is better off signing Harris and Mangold, then just signing Revis

#1718 MyFavoriteMartin5, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

It's just more negotiating tactics. Frankly I'm sick of his name at this point.

The next time I want to hear the name Revis is when something relevant actually happens.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Aren't we talking about a contract extension? The $30 million (at least) in guaranteed money will be paid on top of his last two years, which is already (or was) guaranteed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.