The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if the D can put pressure on the QB, that will make up for the loss of Revis. not completely, but to a significant extent. having Jenkins back and Taylor on the field certainly seems like a reasonable reason to assume that will occur.

2. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

Jenkins is a huge injury liability and who knows what we will get out of Jason Taylor.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Did anyone else just hear on ESPN radio Woody's comment that he isnt optimistic that they are gonna be able to sign this guy until after training camp? This is bullshit.

4. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

TheJetsStream Woody Johnson says "no movement" and "nothing new and different" on Revis' proposals. #nfl #nyj #jets 5 minutes ago

MarkCannizzaro Woody johnson "not optimistic" revis will be signed. Mike t and johnson reject revis agents' proposal http://myloc.me/akDJa 6 minutes ago

Via Twitter

Not looking good.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Only if those improvements help us stop Peyton Manning from scoring TDs against our secondary.

Sanchez can put up all the points he wants, it's not going to matter if the Jets cannot stop the Colts from putting up more.

How much better did we get on defense aside from CB?

Jenkins is coming back but at a severely reduced capacity. There's questions about whether or not he can even play three straight downs and hold up for the entire season.

We got a bunch of guys in on the DLine but none of them are guaranteed a roster spot, we lost Douglas and his best replacements are DeVito who thus far has shown he is a rotational player, Rod Wright who was out of the NFL last season, Ropati Pitoitua who had trouble making the 45 man active roster last season, and everyone's favorite #6 overall pick.

Our starting LB corps is the same as it was last season. Pace missed the first four games but that likely kept him fresh and he was obviously in his stride when we got to the AFCC. We picked up Jason Taylor as a pass rushing rotational LB, he had a good season last year but I'm not placing all of my hopes for this defense becoming better than it was last season on the pass rushing rotational lineman.

Pool is an improvement over Rhodes in effort alone but the one thing that everyone slated to play opposite Jim Leonhard and not switching positions from CB have in common is that their coverage skills are the worst part of their game.

We need the corners to stop the Colts. Manning can still score quickly and he has the weapons to hurt this CB corps as it currently stands.

6. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

Its all over twitter and yes it is complete bull shit. Does Woody understand the magnitude of this year? This has gotten out of hand.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Looks like the Revis camp is prepared to gamble on the fact that our defense will falter without Revis in the lineup. It's a big gamble because unless our secondary is complete shit, Revis is absolutely screwed.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Jenkins isn't the NT he was. He was set to retire after his injury before Rex talked him out of it. He's not going to be out there for three straight downs.

Taylor is a rotational pass-rusher. I'm not pinning the Jets success on a guy who isn't going to see much of the field outside of obvious passing situations.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I bet the NYJ could still have a top 5 defense without Revis... I hope they don't fold to Revis' demands.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah honestly, I was going to buy a Revis jersey sometime this year, but I no longer want one. I really am beginning to hate this guy. This isn't to say I'm not mad at Woody and Tanny either, but this is a disgrace. Going into the season this way, really fucks everything up. I have no more confidence in a Super Bowl run. Same ol' Jets came back again, but this time its from an off the field matter.

11. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

As I have stated before, I am in favor of keeping Revis here at a reasonable price. I am not in favor of mortgaging our future on one player. I know all too well how Rex wants to build his defense, I have payed attention to his work over the years and that was one of the reasons I was behind him 110% to become our coach over any choice out there.The last I knew, Tanny has the final say and I cant see him selling out the team for one player. Your points made above about the great defense he has made with cast offs and some players with issues and low dollar players only strengthen the argument to not overpay any particular player. Alot of people said last year when Jenkins went down, our defense would fall apart. It only got better. Your correct in saying he can piece these guys together and wind up with a great result. I fully agree and thats why I fully believe if Revis isnt back there, Rex will use it for motivation. He will put the right people in the right places, Im not too worried about it.

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Yes it is completely out of hand that a 3 year player that has had one great season, thinks he needs to be the highest paid in the game. It is also out of hand that this same player chooses to ignore the millions of dollars he has already been PREPAID and the millions he will still get - which was the structure of the deal he had held out for to focus on the paycheck of 1 year. The contract was not a one year deal, so to act like he is only getting paid 1 million for this year is ridiculous, he is getting paid more he just got prepaid!

Fuck Revis - I hope he sits and the Jets stick their guns, let him rot in oblivion for three years and let his family starve.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Think a Revis sighting is going to be imminent.

Feinsod is a dirtbag

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats going a bit far isn't it?

15. crankenshaft

crankenshaft New Member

my guarantee is both revis and ex jet favre will be ready come opening day

16. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

Im honestly mad at both sides. This organization does not need this now, not when we are this close. All sides should be trying harder to get something done.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Supposedly Revis' agents sent the Jets basically the same contract proposal they've been pushing for since mini camp

18. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I'm sure they will, Rex will not let this unit fall too far. Our defense, as good as it was, still couldn't carry the team to the SB. How far our Offense has progressed will determine how far we go this year. If the Offense can step up to the next level, we should be in great shape.

19. GeorgeBaha

GeorgeBaha New Member

In 2000 Marivn Lewis was the DC and Suggs and Reed wee not part of the team yet.

As far as Revis. While many say just pay the Man this will put the Jets on a SB or Bust situation because the window will be closed after this season. Is Sanchez a SB QB yet? Do you really want to put everything into this year? If team fails to win SB this year what about next year or the next?
    The Jets are setting themselves up to be a SB team. It does not mean it is going to be this year but a legit SB is within the reach of the next 3 years.
    However if the Jets give in to Revis demands you can forget the next 3 years and can hope it all happens this year. With a salary CAP many playsers will be lost after the seasons end because Revis was given so much money. The team will be back into a rebuilding mode after the year. Is one playr worth sacrificing the whole team for?
    No one single player has ever won a SB. It is a TEAM that wins the SB.
    As good as the defense was last year it still did not stop Peyton Manning. Until Sanchez can keep up point for point in such games then a SB is not realistic. Maybe he can do it this year, maybe not. No one knows until the season plays out. But to give up a team to pay one man right now makes no sense.
    Jets still have good quality DB's and will still be a top 5 D without Revis. But this team also needs to save its money for all players to keep a championship in its sights.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Tannenbaum on Revis proposal: "Fundamentally there wasn’t a change.There were some technical changes we looked at"

Neil Schwartz: "We believe our proposals addressed their concerns &issues" Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson disagree.

http://twitter.com/thejetsstream

Both sides sticking to their guns...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.