The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

are you seriously attempting to claim that a CB has as much a direct impact on a game as the QB? that's silly, and I think you know it. it is much easier to win with a backup CB than backup QB. heck, to use the team of your example, the Patriots did it with a WR playing CB.
    no, the Jets got burned because their other CB's were shit, not that they weren't shut down corners. all you have shown is that you need corners better than what the Jets had last year, not two shut down corners to be effective. to claim otherwise just reveals a sheer lack of logic and sense.

how embarrassing for you, and you argue such stupidity with such vigor and determination.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Since the Ravens didn't run Rex's system in 2000 I obviously didn't mean 2000. Nolan's defensive schemes and the players he had available are irrelevant.

If Rex never had 2 shutdown corners and Rex never won a SB, how do you know what his system requires?

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

6. CatoTheElder

Mostly because of this sentence, actually:

7. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

The 2000 ravens front 7 was so good they did not need shut down corners. News Flash, our front seven is not as good as theirs was, therefore we need a player like Revis.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

OK so prior to 1986 no team ever won a Super Bowl w/ Lawrence Taylor. We can play this game w/ any player, the bottom line is this D is built around Revis. He's a huge piece of the puzzle, our most important player on D. That doesn't mean we can't win w/o him but it makes the job much more difficult.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Mike Nolan wasn't the DC in 2000, marvin lewis was.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I think I'm pretty well aware of why the Jets made the offseason moves they did, and how the defense Rex ran last year worked. I also think you're overlooking some key things that also went wrong in that game and some other key additions we made.

What if Greene stayed healthy?
    What if Sheppard stayed healthy?
    What if we had a legit pass rusher (Taylor)?
    What if Jenkins was healthy?
    What if we had a 2nd year Sanchez?
    What if we had Santonio Holmes?
    What if we had a 2nd year in the system Edwards?

Rex can and will morph this defense to best fit the pieces he has available to him. It will not be as good without Revis, but it can be good enough with all of the improvements to both sides of the ball to beat the Colts without him.

11. James Hasty

Cute but you dodged the answer to my question which is that you do not know and can not prove that Rex NEEDs two shutdown corners to win.

Rex never had 11 pro bowlers on defense either but anyone would agree that 11 pro bowlers would be overkill, especially with a good coach.

We had two problems in the AFC Championship:

1. Our offense could not keep up (this year it has the potential to do so).

2. We did not have enough CB depth to cover the Colts 3rd and 4th receiving options after losing one of our CBs to injury in the first half (even without Revis we are deeper at CB now).

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's the point, it isn't an absolute. you can look back on a SB team and say they wouldn't have won without a player that they had that had a direct impact on the season, but it is more difficult to project forward and say a team cannot win absolutely without a certain player. those two things are completely different. I'm not claiming Brady or Taylor weren't direct reasons why their teams won, so your attempt to claim that is some sort of dispute to my position is incorrect.

no, apparently the situation is unique to the Jets situation. it is a luxury for every other team, but absolutely necessary for the Jets. one shut down and one really good CB won't do. the Jets need two shut down corners or they are screwed.

13. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Nobody's downplaying Revis' talent, don't even bother with that straw man.

You said that Rex Ryan's system needs two shutdown cornerbacks to work. I pointed out that with one good cornerback and a bunch of below replacement level scrubs, Rex's system produced the best defense in football. If that's not working, I don't know what is.

This is such a stupid argument.

14. CatoTheElder

They got burned because they couldn't handle Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon without two safeties in the defensive backfield helping them out.

So how do we have overall better corners if Revis doesn't play this season? Cromartie is better than Lito, but if he is going to take over Revis' spot then he is going to have to be better than Revis to be an improvement. That's not happening.

Lowery was marginally better than Lito was last season, but that's not saying much. It's also a moot point since he basically just gave his job away to Wilson. He was better than Strickland as a nickel simply because he was healthy but since Strickland was pretty much a non-factor for most of the season it's hard to count him anyway so this one is pretty much a draw.

That brings us to Wilson, a rookie CB who, if he starts, is going to be asked to cover either Wes Welker or Randy Moss twice a year, Derrick Mason, Donald Driver or Brandon Jennings, TO and either Mike Wallace or Hines Ward. Do you really feel that confident that a rookie is going to be able to handle that? Wilson is a question mark at this point so we can't really say he's better than anyone right now.

And to round out the roster, Marquice Cole and Drew Coleman are going to be returning. So just to recap.

#1 Corner:
    2009: Revis
    2010: Cromartie
    that's a drop
    #2 Corner:
    2009: Lito
    2010: Wilson
    We have no fucking clue as of right now
    Nickle:
    2009: Donald Strickland's body cast mold/Dwight Lowery
    2010: Dwight Lowery
    Same
    Dime:
    2009: Drew Coleman
    2010: Drew Coleman
    Same

Where's the improvement?

15. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

How are we deeper at CB without Revis? I guess Kyle Wilson has really proved a lot conisdering he hasnt played a single down yet. Wilson, Cro, and who ever would be third would still get shredded by Peyton if the AFC championship were today.

16. James Hasty

Stop taking this train of thought so seriously.

He made a valid point that other teams won the big game without Revis. Whether the Jets can do so this year is easier Said than done as Revis is an important player on our team. Even so, this isn't the NBA where one player can turn a loser into a winner by himself. Football is the ultimate team sport where one player can only infuence 1/11th of one out of three units (offense, defense, and special teams). It won't be easy but this team can get past the loss of any one player with the possible exception of Sanchez.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Pearls of wisdom from Warren Sapp:

Matt Zazzle, Teaneck NJ
    Are the Jets a top 10 defense without Revis?
    Warren Sapp, NFL Network
    Revis makes it go. Can you drive your car without gas? When you have a third of the field covered, you can be un-sound to get to the QB. That's what the Jets do. The Jets are Revis Island.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There have been improvements made in other area's - surely those can help us win this team game.

19. Scottso

Scottso Member

This thread is amazing...everybody needs to really relax...Revis is under contract for the next 3 years...it will all work out, just take a deep breath...

20. CatoTheElder

You either called the best corner-arguably the best defender-in the NFL "decent" or you went through the post without mentioning him.

So you either downplayed his talent or failed to offer complete information. It's only a straw man because you left the holes in it to begin with.

Did it get us a Lombardi trophy? I know we're going to have a good defense without Revis. I really don't care about that point.

The point that I do care about is the Jets improving on last season. Without getting Revis on the field, we're not improving our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

No one is saying this defense isn't going to be good without Revis. Without Revis the Jets have every shot of repeating last season. Repeating last season is not good enough. That's the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.