The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I would too, I was just saying that Greene > Revis is quite possibly the most absurd statement ever made on this board

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i've never added a single poster to my ignore list during my tenure here.....but you may be the first.

I don't want to get any of your stupidity on my new shirt.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Fail.

Touches the ball every offensive snap. Dictates Line Protection assignments, helps groom Rookie Qb (last year), and Rookie LG (this year).

Corner?!?!?!?

And I'm insane.

4. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

If we had Donovan McNabb standing in the pocket I'd agree but I'm far from convinced that a sophomore QB, even one as good as Sanchez, isn't going to get a major attack of nerves when he doesn't have Nick Mangold front and centre. Losing Mangold could seriously affect Sanchez's confidence.

No argument there, and if you start running nickel and dime packages then the CB roster looks less good. I'm just saying that Revis isn't the only one on roster who can play his position to an acceptable standard, whereas I'm far less convinced that Brunell or Turner are adequate replacements.

5. MeanGreene23

MeanGreene23 New Member

My point was that with Revis we have an excellent shot of winning the super bowl. Without him are chances are not nearly as good.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We need Revis and Cromartie for this to work until Wilson develops into a #2, which won't be this season.

Rex's system needs two shutdown CBs. Let's just say that Cromartie can replace Revis. That still leaves us without a solid #2 and we saw what happened last season against the Colts. Revis shut down Wayne but we got burned up by Collie and Garcon.

That's why we went out and traded for Cromartie and drafted Wilson in the first round; to be able to cover all of the WR options that Manning and Brady can hurt us with, not just to make sure there is someone if Revis holds out.

We can't pin our hopes on Wilson being able to cover guys like Moss, Welker or Garcon. Wilson is just starting to learn what he has to do in this league. That's not good enough. Rex is going to have to adjust this defense if we cannot get Revis on the field. He probably can do it, but it's not going to be what he or the fans want it to be.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, you just don't seem to grasp it. the Jets can win a SB without Revis, just like every other team in the history of the league has done. does he improve the chances if he plays? of course. does his absence reduce the chances if he doesn't? of course. but does his absence dictate absolutely that they won't, thus believing they can makes one retarded? absolutely not. how do I know? the history of the NFL reveals such.

the fact that had to be explained to you would actually make your post the worst response to anything in this thread. thank you for upping my supposed terrible post in response to it and taking the mantle.

8. CatoTheElder

No, I said ignorant. Please stop accusing people of poor reading skills when you make these mistakes.

9. CatoTheElder

No disagreement there.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no it doesn't. it benefits by having them, just like every other single D in the league. but a necessity? no.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Prior to SB XXXVI every SB winner had done so w/o Tom Brady, would NE have won w/o him? of course not. This team is built to win WITH Revis, he is a cornerstone player, it would be MUCH more difficult to win w/o him b/c of that. Could we win w/o him? sure, but let's hope we don't attempt to b/c w/o him the job is alot harder.

12. CatoTheElder

Bahahahahahaha. Again, saying absolutely nothing.

If you even tried putting it in context, you might be able to try and make a point. Here, let me show you:

When a Jets defense that is coach be Rex Ryan doesn't have two shutdown CBs, a Jets defense coach by Rex Ryan gets burned by spread offenses in the AFCC. Recent NFL history shows this.

Unless we're trading for Asomugha, we don't have the personnel on the roster. We're at the same point we were last season with less talent at #1, less experience at #2, and the same shit at nickel.

This CB corps has not improved until Revis sets foot on the field. Until that point, we're exactly where we were last season.

Let the ignorance train continue!

Rex's defense is not like every other defense in the league. Did you watch last year's AFCC when the Jets only had one shutdown corner? How did that one end?

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

His point is dead on.

Since Revis has never won a SB, none of the past SB winners needed him to get the Lombardi trophy.

With all of the other talent loaded on this current Jets team, the Jets have as much chance at the trophy as any other team this year with or without Revis.

By the way Cato, how many shut down corners did the Ravens have while Rex was there?

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Call me crazy, but would every defense benefit from two shutdown corners? Hell, I think even the Lions could make it to the top 10 in terms of defense if they had TWO shutdown corners.

15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

No it doesn't. Forget 2 shutdown CBs, the Jets had the best defense in football last season with one decent corner.

Maybe we need two great cornerbacks to beat the Colts, but the same can be said about any team in football. It's not a systemic thing.

17. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Hope Revis signs by tomorrow night to end the bickering in this thread.

(about 29 hours to go, continue on)

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

None.

Nor did they draft any. I asked that very question earlier.

Rolle and McAlister? Corey Ivy?

Who did they draft while Rex was DCoord ?

19. CatoTheElder

Oh, do you mean while he was the defensive coordinator? Zero. Just like the number of Suber Bowl victories they had while he was the defensive coordinator of the Ravens.

Or did you mean in 2000 when Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator for a system that put its premium on the front seven as the most important aspect of the defense and had Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Jamie Sharper and Peter Boulware hammering the O-Line and Ed Reed and Rod Woodson playing safety to back them up? 1 if you count Chris McCallister in his prime.

20. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.