The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We don't disagree see above.

2. Hobbes3259

*** Personal Attack ***

I said, he may be the BEST...but there are at least 5 more important.

You chose to hang your hat on Jenkins...whatever.

We lose Sanchez, Mangold,Ferguson, or Greene tomorrow..Revis ending his holdout is a moot point.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...wait, what? That doesn't make any sense to me, man.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...jets-response-as-key-deadline-looms-tuesday/1

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

how can a halfback (the most replaceable position on any roster) be more important than the premier shutdown CB in the league?!

are you fucking kidding me?

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

^Yeah that's the part that really threw me...Sanchez, Mangold, Ferguson you have an argument but Greene?? He was awesome last year and he's an important part of our team but he's def. replaceable.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You don't know how much I'm hoping that is the case.

8. CatoTheElder

I'd put Revis over Mangold. Shutdown Corner > Interior Lineman. Every time.

9. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Sanchez and Mangold are both less replaceable than Revis on the current squad as there simply isn't anyone of any worthwhile calibre to step into their shoes. We do at least have other exceptionally good CBs to call on even if they don't have Revis's freakish ability.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this is what happens when fans start taking talent for granted.....Imagine if Revis wasn't playing at all last year.....who's gonna stop Moss (2x), T.O (2x), Ocho Cinco (2x in a row), A.Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Roddy White etc etc....

Revis is integral to what Rex wants to do with this defense.....fucking INTEGRAL (i like that word)........to say he's less important than a runningback is absurd.

11. CatoTheElder

Rob Turner can step in. Mangold is the best center in the league, but he's still an interior lineman with help on either side of him and behind him.

Rex's system puts CBs alone without safety help. It doesn't work without two CBs that can do that. We saw what happened last season with Lito/Lowery/Strickland playing the #2 spot. We need Revis and Cromartie to be out there for this to work. Wilson is too inexperienced right now to throw that much responsibility on him.

#1411 CatoTheElder, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

last I checked, every single Super Bowl winner has done so without Revis, so anyone who thinks he is an absolute necessity to do so is retarded.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We don't have Comartie or Wilson level talent backing up Mangold though do we?

14. CatoTheElder

This has to be the worst response to anything in the entire thread. You have effectively said absolutely nothing here. The point is supposed to be what happens to this defense with Revis on the field.

#1414 CatoTheElder, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

An interesting article from Schwartz and Feingold's website:

I realize it was written more than 2 weeks ago, but it's interesting how they mention that the ball is in the Jets court, yet they're the ones who came to Tanny with a proposal to send to Woody.

http://www.sffootball.net/news.asp?Article_ID=438

16. CatoTheElder

Look at the position and the responsibility. Center has two guards and a fullback behind him to help him out. Rex likes to blitz one safety on every other play and put the other in single man coverage. Corners get left alone in this season. We need both Revis and Cromartie for this to work.

Don't bring up Wilson. He might very well be the best CB prospect to come out of this draft but he's a massive question mark right now. The best we can say is that he is a better option than Lowery was in this defense last season which really isn't that much of an accomplishment.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^^ I know that they will write extremely biased articles, but I couldn't get through that whole thing, its so poorly written.

I stopped at the Gastineau joke. That was embarrassing.

18. Hobbes3259

Yeah...

The step down from Greene to say.. Chauncey Washington is a much shorter step than Revis to Cromartie.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Rex is a defensive guru and has pretty good CB talent behind Revis. The defense wouldn't be the same without him, he'd likely redesign it to best fit who was available to him. It probably wouldn't be AS good as with Revis, but I trust he could field a top 5, top 10 defense without him. So long as the offense improves as we're all expecting there's no reason to believe we couldn't win a superbowl without Revis.

The odds would be lower, but not zero.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it is not a rationalization. one can only expect with a second year under his belt and the receiving corp at his disposal that Sanchez, and thus the offense, can be significantly better this season than last season, far better than the loss of Revis will make the D worse. combine those two together and you have a team that can still be better than last year, not that the team is better without Revis is comparison to how good the team would be with him.

it isn't that the team isn't hurt, it is that the team is good enough to perform despite it. yes, Revis is the best and most important player on the D, but that doesn't mean the D as a whole isn't good enough without him to play comparably, even if there is a slight decline, and that the team as a whole is good enough to be as great as we hope despite that slight decline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.