The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

As much as we would all love for Tanny to look over and accept this deal it probably isn't gonna happen. I expect Tanny and whoever else to look over the deal and come back with a counter offer. Just from what has been going on over the past couple of months with contract talk I would think Revis's agent to go to them with a contract a little higher than what the Jets really wanna pay.

But who knows, at this point no one does except for Revis, his agent and the Jets.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

unlikely. Cimini said that it didn't sound like Revis and his group are too worried about the 8/10 date. But I am intrigued about this meeting on Friday.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No, just the same guy that represented Kendall and Baker.

4. Murrell2878

At least they got together face to face. That's a big step towards getting this resolved.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would love for that to happen, I don't think the Revis camp wants to do so, didn't Tanny try and go to the Revis camp himself, and the camp rejected the offer for him to come by?

*Continues to hit head against the desk*

Wtf man why won't this end, this is like when Emmitt Smith held out till week 2 of the Cowboys SB season a while back, cept this could be worse

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Koz,

Let's be real. It's not a 1st and Third. It's a first, and a third and Salary Cap hell to the team that does it.

By extension that means two things.

If he goes...he goes OUT of the division (neither Parcells or Belli signs like that and Buffalo does not count).

And...we're in better shape today, at the position than we were in Indy last year.

(Cro,Lowery, Wilson > Revis, Strickland, Sheppard)

That's not to say that Cro, Revis, Wilson,Lowery isn't All World, but the bottom line is, the leagues best defense from last year, is already better than it was on the last day of last year.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Of course Revis' camp isn't going to sound too worried about August 10th. Revis' camp wants to act as if they're ready to hold out the entire season, meanwhile they're probably itching to get something done right away too.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

absolutely. Revis doesn't want to hold out, he wants to get paid. the only way for him to get paid is to play.

the only way for him to set the terms of how much he will get paid is to hold out. but in the end, he still has to play to get paid (absent of being injured).

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree, we don't want to be in cap hell, but say that happens, a shit ton of cash opens up, we'll resign Mangold / Harris then move on and we would possibility still have money for Braylon / Holmes AND Cromatrie all of them can stay as Jets for a while

With the extra picks we can concentrate on defense (NT, OLB, CB, D-Line)

It wouldn't be the end of the world

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah...i realize that. Not an ideal situation to say the least.....but this clown has to be better at negotiating than Alvin the Shitmunk.....the Leon debacle was a total clusterfuck.

11. Murrell2878

Probably, but that won't mean they will accept any deal just to get in before tomorrow's deadline. But I am encouraged by the offer proposed by Revis' group to Tannenbaum on Friday. Let's hope it leads to this issue ending soon.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm encouraged too.....they have to start somewhere. It's reassuring that they're even talking.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

And he has everything to lose if Rex's defense begins shutting down other teams' #1 receivers, maybe not at the same level Revis did, but if we're still #1 in Pass Defense, or even in the top 5, Revis is absolutley screwed.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm optimistic because it was REVIS's camp that sent the offer to the Jets. That's positive news. They're showing that they want this to get resolved.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Plus....this team is built to win NOW.....in the back of Revis's head, this should be weighing on his mind.

There's a chance that we don't retain B.Edwards or S.Holmes....J.Taylor and LT might not be here after this season....Jenks might be done after this season.

I'm sure Revis knows that this team will be special this year....and doesn't want to miss the boat.

All that talk about holding out for a year (a la his stupid Uncle)....i don't think that ever entered the equation.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm willing to bet that Revis cares more about getting paid than he does getting a Super Bowl ring. Even that's not guaranteed.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

not only that, they don't even have to shut down the number 1 completely, as long as the D as a whole plays equally well as last year.

if the D line and LB's get pressure on the QB and force him into errant passes, that's just as good. even if the number 1 receiver does well the D can be as good. add to that maybe the offense is leaps and bounds better than last year, putting up a bunch of points, and able to carry a D that is maybe slightly worse, then he becomes less vital as well.

the only way Revis has any significant leverage is if the D is needed to carry the team and his absence directly causes the team to lose games. unfortunately for him there are many ways for that to be overcome for the team.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Add to the fact that Revis will miss plenty of endorsement opportunities if he isn't showcased. The opportunity cost for missing a season (the Jets Offense carrying the team, the D being equally as dominant, not being seen on Hard Knocks, not having anyone mention "Revis Island" for an entire season) is astronomical.

I believe they're ready to settle.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

There's no question Revis is going to get paid.....that's a moot point.

But his best chance at winning a ring....is also a variable that is worth considering during these negotiations.

I don't think he's going to pass up this season in favor of a holdout......

20. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

That's a very fair point and one I hadn't considered. The Jets D doing well without Revis would be a bit of a disaster for him as it takes away one of his biggest arguments, that of his importance to the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.