The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Well, maybe we can sign Revis this year and make a big run at the Super Bowl (or maybe even the Superball:smile:). I think this does mean that the Jets FO will get bent over by Mangold next year. They'll have to do "firefighter" negotiations: put out the flame that is closest to you first.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Since Mangold is a FA, we're going to pay dearly for this move. Either we end up breaking the bank for the dude, or another owner with bigger pockets snatches him away.

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That won't happen, I'm 100% sure that's exactly what they told him to get him to play in the first place.

By Mangold honoring his contract he will be rewarded very handsomely and will set a precedent for the new Jets.

#1263 MadBacker Prime, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Oh, that could be, I should research that somewhat more.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Woody has specifically denied that rumor btw. I'm pretty sure it was started by Florio. Although Woody denying it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't true, I trust him more than Florio.

6. Woody has more credibility with the Jets than Florio does, that is for certain.

7. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I heard Woody say that there were zero cash flow issues with signing players.

That isn't saying we are prepared to guarantee whatever is needed.

At this point I am really parsing words down into nothingness.

One imagines that there will be some sort of talks today. I'm hoping for a press conference. :up:

8. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

unless he gets hurt...then hes fucked

9. MadBacker Prime

Only if it's a career ending injury. I loved Leon, but Mangold is in a whole different league when it comes to his importance to this team and to Sanchez.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

D'Brick Ferguson is the most important player to Mark Sanchez. I'm pumped that he's locked up long term.

Mangold is huge for blitz pick ups - he should help out the backs when they are in pass pro.

11. MadBacker Prime

I agree but it's nice for Mark to have Nick to fall back on to call the protections if needed. I hope he's past that though.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/08/09/revis-watch-do-what-asomugha-did/

13. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

14. WhiteShoeWillis

I concur.

On a side note, I'd love to know who that anonymous GM is *cough* Tannenbaum *cough*

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I think you've hit on something there.
    The right stance to take as well.

This thread - Views 34k :eek:hmy:

16. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Which is unusual considering TGG is the poster boy for ADHD, 99% of threads die after a few posts

17. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

www.thejetsblog.com

Once Revis didn’t show in Cortland, the next date that began floating around was August 10 or 11 (no one seems sure) as the drop-dead date for Mr. Revis to accrue a year of service — should he show up after that point. My trenchant counterpoint to being compelled to show up? Um, he’s Darrelle Freaking Revis.

Okay, okay … while that’s a rather oversimplified cap analysis (par for the course with me) our man Jason at nyjetscap.com (who we trust with our life in any Jets salary cap emergency) wrote up an insightful analysis that explains the issue in a little more detail and why accruing a year might not matter.

Capologize me, Jason.

… a new set of rules are in place in 2010 because 2010 is an uncapped season. In an uncapped year the required time for unrestricted free agency jumps from four years of service to six years of service. All signs at this point in the labor negotiations basically point to both sides playing the year out without a new CBA in place and then seeing who blinks first in March. Here is why this affects Revis and makes the August 10th date likely meaningless. It also adds a new dimension to his holdout from the team.

Jason then goes on to explain that, basically, a new labor deal won’t be worked out until March at the earliest, with the 2011 NFL Draft the fallback. So why does this matter to the Revis negotiations?

And all of this leaves a superstar cornerback in limbo. When Revis voids his contract in February all signs point to the fact that he is going to be a restricted free agent whether he sits out all of training camp or all of the NFL football season. Three years or four years of service makes no difference in a year where you need six seasons to become an unrestricted free agent. This also sheds new light on a potential reason why Revis is holding out right now and willing to give up 20 million guaranteed by doing so. Revis was likely not playing in 2010 for 20 million dollars. He was likely playing for a 3 million dollar or so qualifying offer from the Jets in 2011 and a 9 million dollar franchise tag in 2012. Sure he could hope the Jets would exercise the buyback , but that would be putting faith in an organization and there is almost no trust [in a league-wide sense] between the players and teams right now.

So as you see, accruing a year of service really might not matter. Now this doesn’t mean that if he doesn’t show up in the next day or two, that he won’t play in 2010, but Revis might think that the RFA gambit might be his best bet to force the team to ante up at the risk of getting himself into the semi-open RFA market. While I don’t know the exact nature of the RFA tender rules in uncapped years, it’s at least worth wondering aloud if RFA “Poison Pills” could make a comeback, even if they are in spirit frowned upon around the league — especially when it comes to a player like Revis.

So if the Jets were to RFA and then have him signed away due to a poison pill loophole? It would mean just a 1st & 3rd round pick. Too scant a compensation I’d imagine for many fans.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

The New Meadowlands Stadium, all of Cortland and Woody's house would be burned to the ground within 10 minutes of this happening.

19. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

This is going to be an EXTENDED HOLDOUT

20. MadBacker Prime

Yes it is- I've been saying that pretty much all along, he's not playing this year.

I hope to god I am wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.