The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

it always makes me laugh when ppl say "if it was me i'd accept x amount"

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hell yeah. Revis' stock may never be higher than it is right now. He's being touted as the best at his position pretty much everywhere, he's on a team that has championship aspirations, and he is an integral part of their success - and he is entering his prime. This may be the best and biggest chance at a payday he has in his career.

The Jets most likely stocked up at his position this offseason in large part because they knew this was coming. Although if they DID know it was coming, I'm not sure why they approached him to tear up his existing deal in the first place.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

This is the only part that I don't like:

I hate when I hear athletes say this, it is such bullshit. You're right, and I have no problem with them getting what they can. But don't lay that crap on me. His family would be quite well taken care of, even if he got paid league minimum. Getting paid 12million instead of 15.2million isn't going to cause his kids to starve. It's ridiculous.

Say you want a contract you think that you deserve based on your play. I can respect that even if I don't agree. But this "I got a family too" line bugs the shit out of me.

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Where are you coming up with the bizarre notion that there is some moral outrage here???? :breakdance:

Personally i could care less about any moral outrage.

The fact is that Revis is refusing to perform his duties under his contract even though he accepted the compensation including millions in bonus comp. Its not that complicated. He received the benefit of his bargain, the Jets have fully performed but Revis refuses to perform his obligations. He is in breach. The fact that there are fines under the CBA for holding out has no ameliorative impact or on the fact that Relle is in breach nor does it change the analysis imo.

I have no moral outrage towards the millionaire who suddenly doesn't like his contract with the billionaire. I have no sympathy for either of them in this case and no moral outrage. Its a business dispute in which the Jets hold the upper hand.

5. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

F u Leon u annoying bitch. I'm so happy you're not on my team anymore.

Oh yeah, your wife is a nasty cunt too.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He didn't say he has a family to feed, he said he has a family to think about. obviously he has more than enough to raise a family now but he SHOULD be thinking about down the road after he retires and he's not making this amount of money. he has the ability to take care of his family for generations.

7. nyjunc

He's not talking about feeding his kids, he's talking about he has a family to atle care of for today and for the rest of his life. At some point he won't have the ability to make the amount he is mkaing now and he has to get as much as he can now to set up his family to be taken care of for the future.

8. GreenMachine

PFT

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

9. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

yeah but I hate to hear athletes say that ... just doesn't sound right for people making more money in a 1 gamecheck then some of us will see in a decade.

I agree with you Junc, he should make as much money as he can WHILE he can for the sake of his children and children's children, but i still hate hearing the family aspect

10. nyjunc

I'm w/ you if he said "he needs to feed his family" but he was talking about taking care of them in general.

11. move the chains

move the chains New Member

"Getting paid 12million instead of 15.2million isn't going to cause his <strike>kids</strike> family for generations to starve."

*fixed

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Put 10M in the bank. You can live off interest for the rest of your life. At 2%, you'll make 200K per year, more than the majority of the people in the world make. If he's smart with his money, he should never have to worry about taking care of his family. Sure he wouldn't be able to live at the same "quality of life." However, someone making 200K per year doing absolutely nothing, lives very comfortably.

13. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Come on, getting paid 12million a year instead of 15.2million a year doesn't mean his grandchildren will be homeless. What he won't be able to buy an extra summer house?

If the Jets offered him 12million a year, that would be more than enough to take care of his family for generations. Him wanting 15.2 million is about pride and what he thinks he deserves. I don't agree, but I can understand it. Leon's "He's got a family too" line is nonsense.

14. DJphinfan

DJphinfan Member

Maybe this question has already been asked, but do you think the main sticking point is that the Jets take is that Al Davis is senile and Namdi's salary is way out of line relative to the position?.

I do believe he is the best corner in the game....

#1034 DJphinfan, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If you look at the Nnamdi contract it's easy to see it's stupid. It was the result of:

1) Nnamdi playing out his rookie deal.
    2) Nnamdi being franchised twice.
    c) Crazy Al working around the franchise tag limitations by creating a 3 year deal that mimicked the tag each of those years.

Not only is that contract nuts, but Revis wants a long term deal. Why on earth would any reasonable GM create a long term deal based on the franchise tag? Why would any reasonable agent demand that? The tag is a tool designed to be used for 1 MAYBE 2 years to keep your best player while you determine if they're worth a long term deal and maybe work one out.

The Jets have already offered a deal worth more than the Aso deal in terms of total compensation.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

^ that...:rofl2:

17. WhiteShoeWillis

I hate Leon's wife but I think you guys are being a bit rash with those comments. I'm sure Leon would beat the piss out of you if you said it around him.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

All they'd have to do is run zig-zags. Leon can only run in a straight line.

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Al Davis is one of the smartest people in the NFL ever and he has the rings and championships to prove it. But Aso is overpaid. And good for him btw.

If Revis' position comes down to the simple fact that he demands to be overpaid like Aso such that it ruins the Jets compensation budget for the next several seasons, then I think the Jets position is clearly that Darelle better get used not getting paid to play football b/c they aren't gonna wreck the team for one guy and they can afford to wait him out.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

Isn't that how you run away from an alligator?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.