The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

One..........

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Two.....

FillerBusta.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

youre not helping, champ!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...relle-revis-is-the-best-is-right-to-hold-out/

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

#984 nyjunc, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You should make a Justin Beiber joke.

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

His manager in the last 24 hours has been making strange remarks.(John Geiger) Well only 2, on his facebook page last night he posted Jetset, and that was it.

Early in the morning or late last night however you want to look at it, he said thanks for your concerns I should be back on shortly.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but sure would be nice to get Revis into camp. I hope they come up with just a short term solution, I don't want the Jets to cave and have his salary cripple our team.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

3 years/$30million wouldn't cripple the team. He's backing off the Nnamdi money demands.

8. MadBacker Prime

Not at all, if that's what gets done, I'd be elated.

9. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Where did you see/hear this?

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I think the only thing he actually denied was wanting $20 million a year. I honestly don't see him backing off asking for Asomugha money.

11. All Gas No Shake

this contract should be a copy and paste from d wares contract extention last year ... a few more mills guaranteed, simple!

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think it's that easy? Don't you think he'd be in camp already if that were the case? c'mon man.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

At the risk of continuing what might well become a completely ridiculous discussion...

I would start by saying AS's take on moral nature of a breach of contract is not really a legalistic one, as you have characterized it.

Yes, a contract is a promise, but the law recognizes something about the way to look at such contracts. But let me digress a bit.

There are basically two types of contracts. There are unilateral, and bilateral. Unilateral contracts are typically sales agreements, where the seller sells a product, and the buyer pays money for it. No other actions are involved, although there may be a warranty involved, but that's an unnecesary complication to this discussion.

The other kind of contract is a bilateral one, where the parties each have undertakings that they agree to. An example would be a business partnership agreement. These contracts typically are performed over a period of time, and can usually also be seen as executory contracts, meaning they until finally completed are performed over time and incomplete until the end of the contract's term. Of course a personal service contract is bilateral and executory. (Unilateral contracts can be executory if the date of a product's delivery for sale is some point in the future.)

For both unilateral and bilateral contracts, the courts recognize something essential that goes a long way to filling the law reports over the centuries, and will continue to do so - the parties at the time the contract is agreed to, or formed, may turn out to have not anticipated how it will actually be performed, how circumstances might change, how they may have not addressed some issue that later appears significant in the wording of the contract. In short, the law recognizes circumstances change and a contract can't be expected to anticipate all future circumstances.

The state of contracts and the way the way the NFL regulates them, under the CBA, is not only as some have noted a reflection of a tradeoff between the owner's right to dump players and their contact on one hand and the player's right to retire or hold out. And a hold out concept is in fact available in circumstances where something unanticipated has occurred - that being among other things a situation where a player's actual value turns out to be far greater than the parties thought back at contract formation.

In this case if the courts were to get involved they would recognize that the CBA allows a player to hold out, subject to relatively minor penalties. It would not go further, express moral outrage and subject the player to greater penalties. Moral outrage is not an appropriate frame of reference in this situation, which is really a business matter.

In short all this talk of moral outrage is beside the point in this case.

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

That's only $9 million more than he's scheduled to make, so that would be a damper in the team's finances at all. However, I would like to see some years added on his contract. 3-years/30 million would have him holding out for a new deal before the 2012 season.

15. All Gas No Shake

thats why i said should be ... yes, there are uncapped year circumstances, but if he takes guarantees for injury now and for skill later then i dont see the problem. he wont be cut for skill anytime soon and he can negotiate the price of his psersonal insurance policy into the bonus

my point is his total compensation number and guarantees shouldnt be blowing ware's contract out of the water (which is what hes seeking to do)

last year ware was a young player who was considered the best defensive player in the league (at a premium defensive position) and wanted a new contract

sounds awfully familiar ... and so should the contracts!

16. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Can we have a vBookie event on the day Revis signs his contract, holds out a season or gets traded?

17. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

Short-term fix...cut a check for him for 10million, re-guarantee his next 2 yrs (reworking it so he makes 10mil and 10mil - so he's not complaining about only making 5mil next year) and get him into camp!

31mil/3yrs. Commit to working on an extension of this contract once the new CBA is agreed upon.

Mind you from Tanny's perspective, this would then have a rippling effect on Mangold's/Harris' negotiations...but screw it, Revis is priority right now.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would hope Revis would accept that. From the FO's perspective, they should be able to live with a deal like that, too.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

A deal like that might be on the table that Revis will accept later just not right now.

20. MadBacker Prime

Champ Bailey: Darrelle Revis is the best, is right to hold out (Take that BM)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...relle-revis-is-the-best-is-right-to-hold-out/

I was not adding to the Revis pile intentionally, I thought this was funny because Marshall recently declared Champ the best and Champ himself does not agree.

It's nice to see Revis get more recognition, contract issue or not Revis is damn good at what he does and we are lucky to have him.

#1000 MadBacker Prime, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.