The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

except he wasn't risking injury for just $1 million. had he reported, the other $20 million would have been guaranteed I believe and he would have been risking injury for $21 million. and if it wasn't already guaranteed, all Revis would have had to say was "guarantee those last two years and I'll report" and you can be certain the Jets would have done so and been thrilled to get him for $21 million for three years while renegotiating, so the claim that he was risking injury for only $1 million isn't valid.

#921 JetBlue, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. ........

........ Trolls

Sure, but his agent wouldn't have seen an extra dime from a guarantee of his pre-existing contract :smile:

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The NFL needs to do something about holdouts and contract negotiations, but this is our best defensive player, I'm not for him earning as much as Aso is but a small temporary raise for just this year will get him into camp I hope, just give him some more guaranteed money (not too much) and have him shut the hell up and report his ass to camp before he loses all his money, right now he's hurting himself with these fines and lack of practice

If this continues this could be worse then the Latrell Sprewell "Feed my family" bullshit

4. I wish I understood what leverage Revis believes he has. The Jets control him for three years. It could be four if he doesn't report by 8/10.

He's already accrued close to $50,000 in fines, and has lost the guarantee on the $20 million buyback years.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

His leverage is that he's the best player on the best defense and makes the defense the best. He was told by the Jets that they wanted to rip up his contract so he feels they need to honor that by giving him a contract that he expects to pay him $15 million a year.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Is the best defense because of him, or is it that the best defense makes him the best?? (words)

Just out of cuiosity, if Revis were to be in say.... a bike accident and never play again. Would the Jets have to pay out and if so how much?
    Guessing the remainder of his contract??

7. JetBlue

the problem is that they said they want to give him a new contract, not that they wanted to pay him $15 million a year, so they aren't not honoring that by not offering him $15 million.

his leverage will honestly not be seen until the season starts. if the D looks putrid without him, he has leverage. if the D performs as expected in total, even if his replacement doesn't perform as well individually, he has no leverage. his leverage is all speculation at this point. all the Jets know is that they drafted a CB rated number 1 at his position by many scouts and feel confident in him. if Revis wasn't a Jet Wilson would probably start anyway, so him starting in Revis' place isn't some drastic departure for a player drafted where he was.

#927 JetBlue, Aug 5, 2010
  8. Understood. But there is more to leverage than just the quality of the player. Among those other forces are his current contract status and the unsettled CBA situation.

Ultimately, I think he is worth being the highest paid CB in the game. But that should come around 2012, when the final buyback year of the current deal is here. Until then, the structure of the contract he signed is limiting his leverage.

9. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

If Revis were to fall down the stairs in his house and break his face the Jets could release him prior to the season and would owe him no additional money beyond the millions he has already been paid.

10. I'm not positive of the full details of the contract. Was that the case before the holdout, when he negated the guarantee of the two buyback years and the $20 million? Or is that only the case now that he held out this year?

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The best way for league to solve these kind of situations is to increase the dollar amount of the fines and extend them into the regular season.

A player should not be allowed to breach his contract without suffering a stiff penalty.

Of course the ease at which teams cut players also needs to be addressed because contracts mean almost nothing in today's NFL.

12. Murrell2878

If his issue is anything like the Dumervil situation and doesn't want to play for $1 Million this year to prevent against injury, the Jets can guarantee the final 2 years of the contract. Maybe that'll ease some of the more immediate issue

13. JetBlue

The system in place is fine. that isn't the issue. unreasonable demands are the issue. increasing the fines would only give the teams more power to low ball the player. there are plenty of situations where a player is justified in holding out and refusing offers, and giving the teams more power would have a significant effect on a player's ability to renegotiate his deal fairly.

just because Revis may be being unreasonable doesn't mean the system itself is broken.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That's a huge gamble for Revis, and for us. Maybe the Front Office felt compelled to draft Wilson bas insurance.

15. JetBlue

I doubt it. I have a hard time believing the Jets didn't offer something as simple. but if he wants to be the highest paid CB, and wants an amount in the area of $15 million per year, playing for what turns out to be $7 million per year certainly isn't going to appeal to him.

that's why the claim that he is risking injury for $1 million is simply not true, because he had an additional $20 million on the table guaranteed and turned it down himself. narrowing the issue to just his salary this season and ignoring the rest of the contract isn't an accurate picture of the scenario.

16. JetBlue

sure, it is a gamble, but is paying one player an amount that may restrict our ability to pay additional players that make the team better than the absence of that one makes them worse a bigger gamble? I think so.

but I feel far more confident going into the season with a highly regarded rookie than a guy who has been around and is just good or decent. I'm sure the Jets robably feel the same. is it ideal? of course not. you'd rather have Revis. but with the D around that rookie, it isn't disastrous either until proven otherwise.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Hell, I'm not positive either. My responses are based upon reading a bunch of articles. It is completely possible and highly likely that I am full of shit as a result.

Yes, nothing has changed in relation to an injury. Except, if the Jets hang onto Revis regardless of a season ending injury.

In the current situation (post-holdout) the Jets could opt to pay Revis $1M for this year even if injured to hold his rights. Then they would have him under contract for two additional years. Neither of those additional years would be guaranteed.

Prior to holding out Revis could have waived the last two years of his contract following a year off making him a free agent with the Jets holding an option to buy the contract back by guaranteeing the last two years.

The only thing Revis has lost is the ability to waive the last two years of the contract, forcing the Jets to guarantee $20M.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

WTF are you droning on about now? You really ought to get some help with your fixation about high school boys and then start worrying about your reading difficulties which you have previously admitted to and then perhaps you will be able to begin to understand how contracts work.

#938 AbdulSalam, Aug 5, 2010
  19. Murrell2878

If he plays in 2010 and gets seriously injured he loses that $20 million. I was thinking if the Jets were to do that then maybe it would get him on the practice field.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

that may be something that revis will accept like a week or even just a couple days before the regular season starts so he can get back out there...i don't think he'll be in camp unless he has a new contract

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.