Brett Favre to Retire*

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 3, 2010.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha thanks for that. :up:

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The difference with Favre (2009) and without Favre (2008) for the Vikings:

23.7 ppg (12th)
    -6 turnover ratio (24th)
    5288 Total Yds (17tjh)
    2332 rushing yds (5th)
    2956 passing yds (25th)

29.4 ppg (2nd)
    +6 turnover ratio (8th)
    6074 total yds (5th)
    1918 rushing yds (13th)
    4156 passing yds (8th)

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

lol, love the title.

4. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

YES and SNY only adequately cover local issues. NFL and MLB networks are good, but only cover their respective sports.

There really just isn't a substitute for throwing on Sportscenter when I get up in the morning and getting all of the sports news before I go to work. Even if it's horrible coverage, it's the most convenient option by far.

5. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

6. Murrell2878

It sounds like Favre was seen throwing on a High School practice field.

7. Murrell2878

Favre to Ed Werder - He has made no decision about playing or not. Has not sent text messages to anyone.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hahahaha Favre is the man again. Just when I thought he couldn't possibly be any dumber, he goes and does something like this........AND TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF! :beer: :lol:

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He just wants to keep this thing interesting...everybody knows that he's coming back but he doesn't want it to be a foregone conclusion. What a tool.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

11. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

13. Satire?

Satire? Guest

Favre won't retire. Even after he dies he won't retire. They'll put a jersey and pads on his rotting corpse and put him out there on gameday.

14. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

If its true, he won't be able to retract the pics of his schlong like he did with his retirement statements.

15. Murrell2878

16. MyFavoriteMartin

MyFavoriteMartin New Member

Anyone notice he was wearing a Jets hat yesterday?

17. Cotchery89

Cotchery89 New Member

I was just about to post that. He was wearing the Jets camouflage hat. It looks like he wears it everyday. What a tool.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Pennington's Value Lies In Trade
    By Armando Salguero
    asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

No one really knows whether Brett Favre will retire this time around. Favre apparently doesn't know either, with reports saying he's texting teammates he's done one day, then saying he will play if he's healthy the next day.

So this little saga might play out for days or weeks before the uncertainty is resolved. But this much, at least, is certain:

If Favre decides not to play, the Dolphins would be wise to involve themselves in the drama.

If Favre leaves the Vikings now, after the team bet everything on his return by not drafting a quarterback or trading for Donovan McNabb, the Dolphins should try to take advantage of the situation and offer to bail out the Vikings.

Jeff Ireland should call Rick Spielman and offer quarterback Chad Pennington.

A second-round pick for Pennington would suffice. Even a third-round pick should tempt the Dolphins to pull the trigger.

That call from the Dolphins current general manager to the man who is in charge of Minnesota's personnel department and once was Miami's GM could be beneficial for both.

DREAM SCENARIO

Ireland: ``Rick, I understand you have a Super Bowl contender if you find a good starting quarterback, so I'd like to offer you Pennington, who came to us late in the 2008 preseason and promptly took us to the playoffs. He could do the same and more for you.''

Spielman: ``I'm intrigued, Jeff, but you have to sell me on this. Regardless of what you heard about the Lamar Gordon trade I made in Miami, I don't ordinarily panic when I desperately need a player. And regardless of what you heard of the A.J. Feeley trade I made in Miami, I do intend to drive a hard bargain.''

Ireland: ``Well, what would you offer for Pennington?''

Spielman: ``We love Tarvaris Jackson, and we're ready to go with him, if necessary. So it's not going to be a first-rounder, I can tell you that. Let's see, I gave up a second for Feeley so . . .''

This scenario is only a suggestion, of course, and there is nothing here that says the Dolphins will definitely shop Pennington in the coming weeks, even as he continues his certain ascent to the backup quarterback job.

It is, in fact, more likely Pennington spends 2010 in Miami and, unsigned for 2011, he either leaves or settles in as the long-term backup to Chad Henne.

But if the Dolphins want to push the personnel envelope and maximize the value of their players, they try to trade Pennington to Minnesota or anyone else offering a draft pick. That's what you should do with any player who isn't likely to play much this year and might not be around next year because he's a free agent.

Now, this is about the time when the naysayers start hatching reasons why this suggestion is flawed.

I can hear them now:

The Dolphins would never trade Pennington because he's too valuable, the armchair journalist would argue.

Really? The idea of Miami trading Pennington was so apparent to Pennington himself, he requested a no-trade clause be included in the one-year contract he signed during the offseason.

Pennington saw the possibility he could be moved and wanted to guard against it. The Dolphins eased the quarterback's concerns by giving him a $1.5 million bonus in his contract, saying the money would be payable if he's traded.

But it is notable the Dolphins did not give Pennington the no-trade clause.

So Miami can trade Pennington.

Well, the Monday morning columnist could say, the team shouldn't do this because losing Pennington leaves them no reliable backup in case Henne is injured or flops in his first full season as the starter.

GREAT FILL-IN

True. Pennington is the NFL's premier backup quarterback. Unlike Michael Vick, he didn't lead his team to an embarrassing loss against amateurs in an episode of Pros Vs. Joes.

Pennington is healthy. He's smart. He doesn't make mistakes, he's a leader and he has taken teams to the playoffs.

So he's good insurance if Henne goes down.

Trading Pennington would weaken the Dolphins this year, but the draft pick could strengthen them for years.

And as one astute former player said while watching practice this week, ``If your starter goes down in this league, your season is over, anyway.''

There was a day guys such as Earl Morrall or Jeff Hostetler could be a heroes off the bench. There were days the backups could still take teams to a Super Bowl. But in today's quarterback-driven NFL, if your starter is done, your season is done, too.

That's the reason the Vikings might go shopping for a starter if Favre decides to retire. That's the reason the Dolphins should try to trade them their new starter.

Chad Pennington.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/05/1761872/penningtons-value-lies-in-trade.html#ixzz0vkuiVxGQ

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

What an old drunk.