The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I posted a few days ago that I negotiate injury files w/ attornies for a living, and the face to face meeting is typically a very good means of reaching resolution when negotiations are at a standstill. There's no hiding behind phones,emails and faxes. Both side's stance is raw and right out in the open. It typically results in some form of meaningful closure...even if the case doesn't settle.

A lot of plaintiff sides don't like this exercise though. The reasons vary between not wanting their client to be aware of some information, they don't want the client to accept anything less than $___, the client doesn't present well or the client flat out is too scared to talk to an insurance carrier which is why they got an attorney to begin w/.

I have a feeling it's Revis's agents that don't want him sitting face to face w/ the Jets FO as they do not WANT to compromise and feel that if they just stand pact, that the jets will eventually give in at the last minute...

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm 99% certain of that just on Rex's gut feeling alone

3. ........

........ Trolls

If the numbers we're hearing from the Jets are accurate, there's no need to remain neutral. If he's truly been offered upwards of $10 million per season and he's holding out for absurd Asomugha money and refusing to even meet, he deserves to be criticized.

The one thing I'll say about it, which doesn't exactly diminish the criticism, is that I'm still certain, as I said a few days ago, that the majority of this is coming from his agent. The guys I know from the league are clueless about the money aspect, especially at first.

EDIT: Haha. Just saw this:

:smile:

4. Indeed.

Tanny has stated the communications back and fourth have been aplenty and both sides have been quite active w/ dialogue. Perhaps it's time for the jets to take a much harder line. Refuse to discuss any further numbers or aspects of the situation unless it is done face to face. Revis wants to play hardball with his current demand? Fine...fight fire with fire.Sometimes you have to call the other side's bluff within negotiations and taking a hard line w/ associated silence can often be deafening.

This is a gamble w/ the opener approaching, and I'm sure initially Revis's side will think nothing of it. But after a week and a half of no talks and no urgency w/ a couple preseason games in the books..and the competitor in Revis(Who's also gonna be staring at some significant fines) will start to panic. When that happens and he realizes that all the jets want is a meaningful in person meeting...he'll be more likely to deviate from his agent's perogative.

5. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I'm still not sure that August 10th means anything. WSW was trying to track that down a bit more.

6. ........

........ Trolls

There's only one aspect of August 10th that I'm certain has significance. From the CBA:

With the season kicking off September 9th, Revis has until the 10th to report before he loses the chance to accrue a season. It's particularly meaningful given the uncertainty surrounding the RFA status.

7. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The section you reference is in Article XVIII of the CBA, under the title "Veterans with Less than Three Accrued Seasons." The preceding text is not included to give us context. It may well be that as a player with three years of accrued service that this section does not apply to Revis.

The NFL's Key questions and answers about 2010 NFL free agency states
    "Q. What constitutes an "accrued season?"
    A. Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists."

These two things do not agree. One of them is wrong.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Namath seems to think Revis will sign ....hopefully he was sober when he made that statement

per JPPelzman via twitter

per Jenny Vrentas

9. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

There is a reason why we brought in Altrotaz and drafted Wilson. Don't get me wrong, Revis has outplayed his contract, BUT...he's not worth the ridiculous money his agents are seeking.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He has 3 years left on his deal, he's going to get a new deal from us. reporitng by 8/10 won't make any difference so I don't see that date being as big as it is being reported.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I don't see why Revis can't just take 12M per year and be the highest paid CB outside of Aso. Next year, he'll then be #1.

He's being greedy as shit and just wants to stroke his shaft with the fact that he'd be the highest paid CB

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

It's significant because if he doesn't get a deal he likes he will sit out all season.

1. He's not accruing time played
    2. He won't risk injury for $1 million

It's is my personal opinion that if a deal is not done by the 10th then we won't see Revis at all this season, unless he gets blown away by a deal. (which won't happen because Tanny is not a retard)

13. MadBacker Prime

Now the news of Elvis Dumervil being out for the season will only further Revis' cause.

14. gustoonarmy

Yep, Revis loves his football and Its looking like his advisor's don't. As you say as game 1 approaches its going to take alot of lip biting from Revis not to get this done.
    My guess is that he'll be out until we are playing pre-season and until then will be at home playing madden. He can give himself a stupid salary and have no team mates then.

15. ........

........ Trolls

They do agree, and they both come from the same section, "Accrued Seasons Calculation". It's at the beginning of the section pertaining to Veterans with fewer than 3 seasons because that section comes before Veteran Free Agency. The calculations used in that section pertain to Article XIX as well.

The section contains two provisions:

1) A player will receive an accrued season if he's on full pay status for at least 6 games.
    2) A player will NOT receive an accrued season if he is under contract and fails to report 30 days prior to the start of the season.

They are not mutually exclusive; the latter is an exception to the former. Here is the full text of that section.

Note that it says "calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement", not simply "under this Article".

16. gustoonarmy

Hmm, I know what your saying, but any player getting hurt will do that.
    Kind of "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow" thinking.

17. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

If that's really the number being offered, and he'd rather sit at home...bye bye.

18. MadBacker Prime

Yeah but he was in the exact same position and the Broncos made sure they got him to camp. I just think it will sour his feelings even more. That Leon article talks about Darrelle's disappointment already.

Again the whole Leon fiasco is coming back to roost. It's that or God does not like the Revis Christ references and is teaching Jet fans a lesson. lol

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Absolutely furthers Revis's cost, now we definitely won't see him anytime soon :mad:

Woody just give him something! It's better then nothing

20. gustoonarmy

Absolutely not!
    Sorry, this guy already has a contract and should honour it.
    IF IF IF IF. Football is a game of risk on and off the field. Leon lost and with hindsight he should have taken the deal.... or held out like Revis is doing?
    I have a feeling that the league will be asked to step in if contract negotiations like these start to become the norm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.