The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Am I in the right place? Looking for an opinion on the Revis holdout. Thanks.

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I agree completely. The fact that he is holding out with three years left on his rookie deal chaps my ass given the uncertainty of the CBA and the more urgent contract situations of others (Mangold in particular).

I do understand that he has outplayed his rookie contract, but not to the extent that Leon or Cotchery had. Revis doesn't have the level of risk of a 4th rounder playing under a rookie deal because he still stands to make $37 million! That's a shit-ton of money in my world and I will resent Revis for holding out if this lasts into the season.

Hopefully, something gets worked out during TC and it seems to me that ownership is behaving far more rationally than this situation deserves.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I expect this to be worked out. But these things are not always worked out. Relle might decide to be totally unreasonable, stupid and stubborn. On the Jets side of things, they know what they are willing to pay and presumably they have made an offer accordingly. Your view may be that they are pigs, but they don't have to offer him anything. Relle can make a reasonable counteroffer or not. If he wants to hurt himself he will just sit out and not get paid. He really doesn't have that much leverage here.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Is it sad when i wake up and the FIRST THING that I think of is the Revis situation? I get up check my jets news on my phone and today there was some! I open it!

It's news about camp.
    fuck

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How is McKnight more versatile and how does he have a higher upside? I hope he is better but I don't see a higher upside and he's certainly not more versatile.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

So a talented 22 year old RB has less of an upside than a 27 year old RB coming off a serious leg injury?

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

not a good point at all, because the Jets aren't claiming they can't pay him from a cash flow standpoint of affordability, they are saying they can't afford to pay him from the standpoint that doing so can restrict their ability to sign their other players and hurt the team far more than simply the loss of one player. huge difference between the two.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The Jets can and should refuse to pay Relle if that would compromise their ability to retain other key players. It will be interesting to see what happens. But it would be funny if Relle sits at home while Alcrotraz becomes the Jets shutdown corner and the Jets win the SB. Hilarious in fact.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Leon is 27 and can pass a conditining test, Leon isn't 35. he doesn't have the carries in his legs a 27 year feature back has. Maybe going forward McKnight has more of an upside but I don't think McKnight has a higher upside than leon showed us from '06-'09

11. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Your right, but from 06-09 he wasn't coming off a major leg injury and playing with a metal rod in his leg.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

BINGO. Sports medicine is amazing, but playing w/a metal rod in your leg is not exactly a long term proposition. I loved LW and wish him the best, but in all seriousness, I expect that he will be unable to play pro football in the near future. How many RBs are there in the NFL that are trying to play w/a metal rod in their leg???

#812 AbdulSalam, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  13. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

doesnt ANY team have a flat policy about NOT negotiating any contracts until final year??
    NE does....i thought ..and i thought Cowboys did also

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Jets went to Revis and told him they wanted to rip up his contract. Howerver, his demands have been unreasonable.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Xactly. The Jets went to him to try and work something out that reflects his value to the team and contemplates the team's situation as well. Revis response has been to breach his contract and refuse to be reasonable.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't have any sympathy for Woody Johnson, either. Heh.

17. Big Blocker

I am sorry I didn't make myself more clear. What I was trying to say is that sure there are consequences to Revis being in breach, but those consequences in and of themselves may, and I mean may in the sense that maybe yes maybe not, be enough to overcome what is leading him to at least threaten sitting out.

And I also can see how under the right set of circumstances he could deduce that it makes more sense to do so than to perform his contract.

Btw I understand many want to make breach of contract into a moral issue, and not living up to a promise is generally not a good thing. We all feel that way. But in fact morality is rarely a factor in breach of contract cases, except insofar as the breaching party, once a breach is proven, has the obligation to defend, answering why he breached. Pleading extenuating or excusing factors such as anticipatory breach, impossibility of performance, acts of God, etc., is the obligation of the breaching party.

But beyond that these cases are really not viewed as questions of morality. i just thought I should add that, and point out taking a moral pov on this sort of thing is at least somewhat overwrought and inappropriate.

18. Big Blocker

That's weird. You quoted me in that post, but I didn't say what you said I said. How did that happen???

Ftr I don't think anyone here is saying the Jets don't have leverage. They do. What I think the question is, at least from what I read here, is whether Revis has leverage. I think it obvious that he does. Who has more? I don't really know.

Going forward I think it likely that a deal is reached. I certainly hope so, since I would love to see the Jets win it all this year, and that is significantly more likely if Revis plays.

19. Big Blocker

Perhaps. But what about the Jets? Have they made a reasonable offer? How should we know that?

One reason I hope that this matter will still be resolved is I think it likely the Jets have NOT yet made their best offer to Revis.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this is essentially.....the entire thread in a nutshell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.