The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

Think of it more as an explanation than an excuse :breakdance:

There's no excusing what happened at minicamp. It was terrible. However, he's rebounded well, and I tend to believe he was tired due to overtraining given that he passed the same conditioning test a couple of weeks before. Of course, none of it really matters in the long run. We can start evaluating him in the preseason.

Ugh. That's the curse of developing so many great young players. :up:

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I think we should just convince them that they aren't that good instead of building them up mentally. Then they'd take what was offered out of fear.:smile:

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Right, because that's what I was trying to do.

Exactly. I think he will be a late season weapon for us. It's too bad Leon got hurt. I was a big fan of Leon's.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You were actually a reasonable voice in that one if I remember right. Then again, I smoke a lot of weed. :up:

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I thought I was, but I thought you were pointing me out for my comments in this thread.

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

They are treated just like any other personal services contract. good luck arguing that they aren't. A contract is a contract. Personal services contracts for sports are treated the same and interpreted the same by courts all over the country. No difference.

Personal services contracts are treated the same under the law. Its sports and entertainment - not exactly rocket science. different provisions with respect to guarantees are what they are. In the end they are rather simple personal services agreements that are all interpreted according to the same general rules. Some contracts have no trade provisions, some don't. At the end of the day, its just a contract. If Revis decides to breach his contract, thats his business decision to make. There are repurcussions from that.

Pro athletes are just like anybody else when it comes to binding legal obligations. Their contracts are interpreted the same as any professional services contracts. Athletes may think they are special, but in fact Revis will not be paid and will be fined because he is refusing to perform the services that he contracted to perform. Its not that complex.

This can happen to anybody who has a contract. Life happens. People lose their skills, people get sick, etc. These are typical factors in all personal services contracts especially in the entertainment context such as pro sports. Yes people can get hurt playing sports. Its part of the business. Nobody is forcing players to play football. They can quit and go try to find a job outside of football anytime they want to.

Hey if a team and a player want to tear up a contract and re-negotiate a deal - GREAT !!! But there is no requirement that they do so. A breach of contract is a breach of contract. The reason why you don't see breach of contract suits more often in sports is because most of these things get worked out between the parties and because they have mandatory dispute resolution mechanisms in the contracts which require mandatory binding arbitration .... not always however and there have been suits filed over things like bonuses that had to be paid back when players refuse to perform.

7. Italian Seafood

Nah, I wasn't referring to you here.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Not exactly what we were discussing since the majority of these disputes in the case of football never end up in court, as I said and you agreed. I was talking about the way they're viewed and treated by the people entering into them, and you know it. There's a different code and process attached to a sports contract.

Or he'll get a new deal out of it, which is typically why athletes hold out. It's not that complex, but it's also not as cut and dry as you're trying to make it. Once again, it's a very typical bargaining tool in football.

Are you going to suggest that the window of opportunity and factors are the same across the board? That the rate of injury is the same? Apparently, the only thing you're suggesting is that players should be happy to take anything they can get to play football and shouldn't negotiate for a deserved percentage of the revenue they're helping to create.

As far as the comparison to other forms of entertainment, sports are really the last vestige of time-based contracts. The days of studio owned talent are gone. Trying to suggest otherwise is silly.

Who ever said there was a requirement to do so? The Jets made a pledge to renegotiate, they don't see eye to eye with Revis as of yet on a new deal, and yet you consider Revis the prima donna because he's not playing under a contract that management acknowledged was no longer appropriate. Remind me again, how is it that this is entirely his fault and he's such a horrible person?

It's unfortunate that he's absent, but so is the way you're maligning him. If you have a problem with the current system and the way business is conducted, fine. Many people would agree with you, and I'd certainly agree that the pay system in the NFL needs an overhaul. However, it's disingenuous to hold him to standards that simply don't apply to the NFL or to ignore the way that business really works in the NFL.

#788 ........, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I often agree with your posts. But on this issue you seem to both be mischaracterizing my position, and more than once at that, and misunderstand the real issue here.

I didn't say my overall happiness in life depends on the Jets winning the SB. I said and this should be obvious I will not be happy with the situation if the Jets fall short and it looks like not resolving the Revis situation was a contributing factor. That doesn't mean I will only be unhappy with the organization, or even primarily them. But to the extent they in hindsight look to have played it wrong, why should I be hapy with them?

The larger point is all this talk about how the Jets don't need Revis is nonsense. Quite simply, him being on the team helps their chances of doing what I thought all Jet fans want, and that is to win a Super Bowl. His absence hurts. SImple enough.

I never said Revis is more important than the team, either. That's a red herring. OF COURSE if it turns out that his demands cannot be responded to and an agreement reached other than by hurting the team, the Jets should not do that. Do you know that is the case? I don't think so. Nor do you know that only a stupid financial decision can be the basis for an agreement.

Being under contract and in breach does not really answer what should be done, either. They are factors, but do not in themselves determine the outcome.

Let's keep the discussion on the merits and not add in things that do not apply.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I put the key word in bold print...Leon Washington was good.

How can we count on a player that's coming off a serious injury? How can we count on a player that's hired a complete fool to be his agent? We can't.

Nothing was certain with Washington anymore and that's why he's not a New York Jet. At this point, nothing is certain with McKnight either...but he has a higher upside and he's more versatile.

11. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

No one is saying you have to hate him and piss down his back, but the pining for Leon is old and tired and people are sick about hearing it, Just like people are sick of listening to other posters pining for Thomas Jones back.

Every time McKnight coughs or trips, you get a bunch of people going "Oh jesus, this guy doesn't give a shit, I want Leon back."

And god forbid people looking at McKnight as if he can do what Leon could do, but hopefully better, I mean, seeing the potential in a prospect is such a sin.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Excellent points. It isn't even the official position of the Jets themselves that Revis should play under his current contract. THey have already said it is not appropriate.

Yet people like AS repeat like some mantra that he's obligated to play under his contract.

Uh, not really. The police are not going to come get him in his house, hold a gun to his head and make him play.

It's a business deal at this point. Negotiations should continue, and both sides should be looking to reach a reasonable deal. Hopefully that happens, but in general blaming Revis for trying to get what he can is not fair or appropriate here.

13. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

And he is younger/cheaper, which makes it easier to allocate money to re-signing Brick (Already done), Mangold, Harris and Revis.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Fair enough BB.

I don't agree w/financially destabilizing the team to the point where other guys we want to retain who are in walk years won't get deals done b/c darelle revis wants a new contract when he still has 2-3 yrs left on his contract. If he is unwilling to come to terms with the team in a way that strengthens and helps the team get better then he can sit and pout in his mansion for all I am concerned.

There are a ton of people out there struggling to make ends meet and dealing with life and death issues. Revis is just not gonna garner any sympathy from me. Neither are the Jets and the billionaire owner garnering any sympathy BTW.

I hear what you are saying BB. I just don't have a great deal of sympathy for millionaires and billionaires.

15. Italian Seafood

I never said any of that. I said I didn't like the Leon move when it was made and I still don't.

For some reason everyone wants to act like he was garbage now that he's gone, the way they did with Pennington and a lot of other guys who left their soul and body parts on our field. On top of that they jump on the shit of any fans who appreciate those guys and don't like the way they were handled. Fickle fan base we have. I'm sure if McKnight gets hurt the same people will be having him cut/traded/beheaded too and falling in love with the next guy who never played a game yet.

16. ........

........ Trolls

I agree to an extent, but I certainly wouldn't say 'everyone' is calling him garbage. There are really only a couple of people who have been ridiculously dismissive of what he did for us.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Actually he is obligated to perform under his contract. Thats why we have contracts - there are consequences for non-performance. Of course the police are not going to arrest him, its not a crime to breach a contract. Did somebody say it was a crime to breach a contract??? I didn't see where anybody said that. Its a breach of contract. He doesn't get paid.

Its definately fair to blame Revis. He entered into a contract that he is refusing to live up to. He has decided that its in his own personal interest to do so. To the extent that he is personally responsible for his own decisions (which he is) its perfectly fair to blame Revis for his refusal to honor his contractual obligations. He is at fault. He is in breach. The Jets aren't in breach. The Fans aren't in breach. Relle is in breach.

So if they renegotiate a new deal maybe its all worthwhile. But the fact is that TC is here, the team is getting ready for the season and Relle is refusing to report as he is obligated to do. If you want to defend that behavior - that is up to you.

Personally I would laugh if he gets locked out and doesn't play all season and the Jets win the SB w/o him.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Too bad Revis is doing this. Always something with the Jets though.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

her posting didn't prove correct, everybody already knew of the amount of contracts coming due, so she didn't break any news that wasn't known and thus proven correct. and more are important than Revis' because he still has three years left, so the Jets have the leverage even if he doesn't want to concede it.

how hard is it to write a logical and honest article?

20. Italian Seafood

This is true, I shouldn't say everyone. They know who they are, it's all spelled out on here for anyone to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.