The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Oh cool thanks for that information. I could have sworn he refused to show up for training camp with the rest of his teammates as is required by his contract and by NFL rules.

No, he's refusing to honor the contract that he signed. He apparently thinks its okay to breach his contract. Nobody forced him to sign a contract. He doesn't really have that much leverage. He can not get paid and get fined. If thats what he wants to do. Meanwhile the world keeps on spinning around and the Jets will have to find somebody else who wishes to become a millionaire for playing DB.

I don't fault him for seeking too much money. I could care less about that. There are no guarantees in life for any of us. Darelle Revis is no different. If Relle wants to not play football and not get paid - that is his decision. He can not get paid. If he thinks the world cares about that - he is in for a major surprise. A pro sports contract is treated just like any other personal services contract. Its pretty simple stuff. He can not play and he will not get paid. Best of luck to him.

#761 AbdulSalam, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. ........

........ Trolls

Where is everyone getting this $2.5 million in fines number from? The CBA contains provisions for fines due to missed training camp, but contains no provisions for fines during the season due to missed time. He'll lose his salary, but all of his fines are coming during the preseason.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I see this side of it, too--as a guy who's not living large right now and paid through the nose to be in the upper rows of the new stadium. I have no sympathy for Revis and a lot more respect for Mangold who showed up to camp, no doubt. But I do get King's point about the Jets management and ownership themselves feeling the heat to put their best product on the field after years of build-up and price increases. Not just the opening game but the whole season. Not so much to make the diehards like us happy but to sell their PSLs and tickets. They don't want to send the message that "we're asking you for top dollar but we won't pay it".

#763 Italian Seafood, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I figured the amount of days in the season times 16K per day. Of course, if there are no fines in the regular season then that's a mute point. Although I find it odd that you get fined for missing training camp & preseason but not the regular season.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I hear you Seafood. But the problem w/King's analysis is that the team cannot be held hostage to every prima dona who has a great season and then decides he wants a new deal. There are like TONS of people who are unemployed and who can barely afford to pay for cable TV and keep a roof over their heads so that they can watch MNF. I don't think alot of people are going to fault the Jets for refusing to capitulate to the demands of a millionaire who wants more money and is willing to breach a contract that he signed unless he gets millions more. I think most people will be like - F him.

The guy is refusing to work when there millions of people who would die for an opportunity just to be employed in the Jets organization. This economy sucks right now. I don't sense a groundswell of support out there for millionaires who don't want to work.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I said he's not just refusing to play, which you conveniently ignored with your typical reductionist argumentation. If you can't argue with the terms used, why bother responding at all?

Ha. Good luck making the argument that sports contracts are treated just like any other contract. Hell, good luck arguing that all sports contracts are equal given the differences in guarantees and respective responsibilities between players and management. For one, I'd love to see another contract in which the signer can be shipped off to another company at will.

Professional athletes have a short window of viability as professional athletes, which is why their contracts are viewed with a certain degree of flexibility. Players are at the mercy of conditions which don't exist in other lines of work, relatively high percentage factors which can cause immediate inability to perform the job for which they were contracted. In the NFL, there are no guarantees against these factors, which leads to the aforementioned flexibility. Players who outplay their contracts are frequently retroactively rewarded with new deals, and by the same token, what would be considered a breach of contract in other lines of work is considered a bargaining tool. That's why you don't see a breach of contract suit filed every time someone sits out of training camp.

7. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I'd like to see Revis get more money as well. I think it sucks when teams cut players who aren't performing up to their pay while taking advantage of those who are outperforming. I wish like hell there was a mechanism to take money off of Gladys' contract to give to Revis.

I appreciate the effort I see the Jets going to to up Revis' pay this year so they currently have my sympathy.

I had heard Revis talking about buying to to Rex's plan to have him become a leader of the team. You don't lead a team by being home on the couch.

How many days of training camp are there? I was unable to find this number yesterday.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Technically your contract amount covers only the regular season. Training camp is an expected addendum. That's why players who are suspended for 4 games will consequently miss out on 1/4 of their season salary. Missing training camp doesn't cost you any salary, hence the fines. Missing games in season already has a cost attached to it.

9. ........

........ Trolls

That's because most people are ignorant of the realities of the NFL.

Revis wants to work, and he wants to be paid commensurate to his performance. I agree there should be limits placed on the amount paid to him, but I certainly agree with him that he deserves the raise.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

McKnight MIGHT be able to do what leon did, so far he's been a disappointment w/ his conditioning and that speaks to someone not taking his job serious enough. How do we count on him? he may be really good but he's not a lock to be good like Leon was.

When it has happened time after time after time I tend to start believeing it.

I'm sure both sides aren't being 100% honest, I didn't say this was all the Jets fault. It's the Jets fault for starting it but both share bame for not being able to hammer a new deal out and both are leaking various reports to the media to make their side look better.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Oh baloney. we all understand that its a game where guys have short careers and can easily get hurt. That has been the case forever.

Revis has just decided that he doesn't want to play football for the compensation package that he signed his contract for. Thats okay I guess, but if he doesn't want to live up to his contract, then he can not play and not get paid. Its not that complicated.

If the Jets want to re-negotiate w/him because he is a star, then that is up to them. If Revis and the Jets cannot agree on a new deal - Revis has two choices - he can play under his existing contract or he can refuse to play football and not get paid at all.

I am guessing that he will be in camp shortly. But if not, then that is his decision.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Addressed in the other thread, but the signs seem to point to a lack of initial awareness by his support staff rather than a problem with his work ethic. He seems on track now. Still, I agree we should never count on a rookie being prepared.

Fair enough, and probably the best stance to take. I have a tough time trusting either side right now, which is why I try to deal just with the demonstrated facts. It makes it tough with so much misinformation spread around. Given how often we only hear about promises made by players in current disputes with the Jets, I do have to wonder how much of that has become just a proven negotiating tactic for agents.

The fact that the two sides are still so far apart means someone is being incredibly dishonest in the media right now. The purported goals of management and player are not that far apart.

13. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

The problem here is that Revis knows the Jets are going to need him to beat the elite teams in the NFL. They can probably get by a lot of teams, but not the Manning/Brady/Brees types. You are right that he can either play or not play, but I think you are underestimating the Jets need for him and their desire to win it all THIS year.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No, it's not a lock that he'll be as good as Leon was, but reports have been saying he's been impressive during camp so far. And in 2009 we had no one to take his role on the team and this year McKnight could fill his role.

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Look out for the lynch mob. We're supposed to hate Leon and piss down his back now because he got hurt and the team traded him. McKnight is the next Westbrook, didn't you hear?

16. ........

........ Trolls

You're right, it's not that complicated. It's just part of the business. This is a much warranted tone down from the earlier insistence that Revis is some prima donna throwing a hissy fit.

The Jets already stated they wanted to renegotiate his contract. Both sides agree that he deserves a new deal, but they haven't been able to come to terms yet, hence his absence. Remind me again why Revis is a prima donna?

17. nyjunc

The man was throwing up in rookie camp and fail;ed his conditioing test in TC. I don't want to hear any excuses.

I expect this will get done in the coming weeks, let's hope it happens so we can stop talking about his contract and move onto the contract talk of Magold and Harris:smile:

Rex talks up every player so who knows? I hope he is bettre than leon b/c I think we will need him to be a big factor for this offense to be as gooas it can be but we'll see what happens.

18. ........

........ Trolls

McKnight could be a better back than Leon at some point, but the nice part is he doesn't have to fill his role this year. With LT on the team, we have a great two headed monster to start the season and allow McKnight to grow. My instinct tells me that McKnight starts to play better and better as the season wears on and can take carries off LT's tired legs, but it's nice that he doesn't have to do so immediately.

19. nyjunc

Has anyone on here had more mobs come after him than me:rofl: I know it and expect it but that's what is fun about the board. We don't all have to agree(am I softening in my advancing age?:smile:)

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

For the most part I'd side with the billionaire owner instead of the millionaire athlete, which is ironic.

In this case the Jets did in fact approach Revis and told him he has outplayed his contract and deserves a new deal. Chances are he would've been inquiring about a new deal anyway but the Jets opened this issue so they damn well better get something done.

As we are told Revis is demanding an outrageous yearly salary but who's to say what he actually wants. Revis' camp has said they would accept a short term solution until next year so that would be the quickest resolution for both sides.

The terms of that deal would rely on trust though and I can see where the Jets might be a little sketchy with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.