The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm so sick of hearing about Leon Washington. He was offered a contract extension and he refused to sign it. He got injured and now is paying the price. Had he signed the contract his family would be set, but he decided not to. Notice that is not mentioned in the above article?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

So the player is supposed to just take any offer the team makes?

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He's not going to come back into camp without having a deal in place with some guaranteed money. If he gets injured in TC, he's screwed, and he knows that.

4. Murrell2878

I didn't say that. But, I don't want to keep hearing about how everyone "noticed" the Leon situation then he got injured, when he had a legitimate offer from the Jets.

5. No but it's not as if the Jets weren't TRYING to negotiate a new deal. Offers were made and rejected. Negotiating is often a long drawn out process. As far as I'm concerned the jets were MAKING efforts to make a deal happen, but Leon thought he was worth alot more than what was reality. For all we know the Jets were lining up another offer,one which LW would have accepted. But the injury happened and it never occured.

How is that the Jets fault? Do you think they LIKED having arguably their best offensive playmaker sidelined for the rest of the season? The injury was bad luck. Injuries happen in the midst of contract negotiations all of the time. Unfortunately it's part of the game. I'm just not sure how you fault the Jets for that.

6. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I think the Revis thing is turning into a Favre-like circus. I almost don't care anymore.

7. nyjunc

Obviously the offer wasn't good enough, leon took a risk and it backfired but these guys have very short careers and need to get every dollar they can.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

There is not much else to be said, we pretty much just have to wait and see.

I think all possible angles have been covered here.

9. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

No, but it does imply that he had little choice but to take the 1 mil + deal. when that is misleading. He was offered a long term deal as well but wanted to take the one year offer to explore the free agent market sooner. His decision backfired.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

What dollars was it that Leon got?

Surely the lesson is to take what is being offered in case you aren't in a position to make that much in the future.

11. nyjunc

The lesson is you need to take any deal that is offered and settle for less money? He had a freak injury it didn't work out but it was a worthy gamble. He can still make up for the contract he didn't sign and more if he comes back healthy and plays like he is capable.

12. Murrell2878

The offer was better than what he's getting now, so why is it the Jets fault he didn't take the offer and got injured. BTW - I feel the offer was a fair deal. Leon took a risk hoping to get more money and it backfired.

13. Murrell2878

They (Leon & his agent) wanted $6 Million a year for a kickoff returner and a 3rd down back. As explosive as he was (and I was/am a big fan) that's not a fair deal. He was offered $4 Million which was a fair deal imo.

14. nyjunc

We don't know the exact terms of the deal so how can we evaluate whether it was fair or not?

Leon did take a risk and it sounds like revis isn't willing to take that risk.

15. nyjunc

What were the guarantees? The salary doesn't mean alot, it's more about guaranteed money. If they gave him little guaranteed money they could have cut him anyway w/ little penalty. The salary is just window dressing.

and he's much more than a KR and 3rd down back, he was our best playmaker on offense and a difference maker in STs.

16. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

No, but it doesn't do any good to hold out for unrealistic money (Leon's MJD demands), especially when you've made it clear you're aware of the other contract issues coming up. Leon is now on a worse team and STILL without a contract past this season. It sure seems like he's doing his best to poison the locker room in his old home. I love him as a player, but he hasn't ingratiated himself to anyone off the field.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

In what way was it a worthy gamble? By haggling over a few million dollars he cost himself an eight-figure sum, in all likelihood.

18. nyjunc

He wasn't holding out for MJD money.

So what you are saying is no matter what the team offers you that the player should take it? THIS is why Revis is sitting out, he's not going to take that gamble and again if Leon is healthy(like he appears to be) and has a good year he'll get his money.

19. Murrell2878

I liked Leon, but he was what he was. A 3rd down back / change of pace back and kick returner. He wasn't an every down back like MJD and shouldn't have gotten a contract like the one that MJD got. He wanted it and decided not to sign the contract that the Jets offered and it back fired. But I'm sick of hearing about the Leon situation in a way that makes it sound like the Jets didn't offer Leon a long term fair deal like it's constantly being reported in the news.

20. Murrell2878

Yes he did and it even said so in the article posted this morning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.