The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Could be hard if he isn't playing

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, the Jets don't have to, they can negotiate with Revis. Revis has more to lose than the Jets. since there is no guarantee the Jets are going to win with him, they in fact have nothing to lose in the grand scheme because they will still be in operation, probably be very good, won't be losing ticket sales or ad revenue minus Revis, oh, and still have him under contract. the only significant negative other than him not playing is that he takes up a roster spot I believe.

Revis on the other hand will be losing money, time in service that will make him eligible for additional perks, and game experience that will keep his body and mind in NFL shape. He needs to be on the field and playing. please explain how the Jets in such a situation are the ones that will have to give in.

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Well, when there's a possibility (however small) that he sits out some games or the whole season, it could be.

4. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Ahh, I skipped over the 2010 requirement. What would his salary be in 2012 if he doesn't make the pro-bowl?

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

lol at Revis popping up on some shoe commercial on ESPN now. So I guess that's how he's gonna make up the lost income. Ironically Ndomakang Suh was in it too...another holdout :p

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

#3 is incorrect. Because of the uncapped year that actually happens much sooner, August 10th to be exact.

7. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I was working from Key questions and answers about 2010 NFL free agency where it states
    "Q. What constitutes an "accrued season?"
    A. Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists."

Originally I had it the other way but changed it when I read the NFL piece. I've read multiple stories that mention the August 10th date but that contradicts with the NFL website.

I can't find anything official seeming on #4. I made that one up.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

That's interesting that the nfl.com site doesn't mention the August 10th date.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-trenchestalkwhenwill
    http://nfllabor.com/2010/06/21/calendar-for-2010-nfl-season-released/

9. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Sporting news references Florio who hauls out the following language from the CBA:

Florio then goes on to reference

Revis is in the same boat that Chris Johnson was in, he is currently under contract.

Florio doesn't include the earlier text of the first section so it is unclear if it only applies to players with less than 3 years of service. Revis has three years currently, so that may be an out.

#689 JetFanInMD, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

It's just commical how Woody and Tanny are using the media to project the image that they are victims... Oh we're reaching out, we're making offers blah blah....

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The August 10th date really isn't well explained. Lets say your Revis, you end your holdout on the 11th, what happens? You play 16 games but don't accrue time towards free agency? If there's no new CBA what would Revis's contract status be in 2012 if h holds out past August 10 but plays this season-in that case I guess he's played six years, his contract is over, he's a restricted free agent because he has only five accrued years, and there are no clear rules on RFAs because there's no CBA?

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You're absolutely right. I'm not sure why people are acting as if Revis has the Jets by the balls. That simply isn't the case.

13. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Revis has leverage in three situations.

(1) Fans are staying away/not watching because the team is doing poorly and the team believes Revis would help.

(2) Fans are staying away because the team is doing poorly but would show up if Revis were there.

(3) The team believes that it's not going to make or advance in the playoff because of Revis's absence.

His leverage looks very good if the team is 0-3 after Boldin, Moss and Marshall have carved them up for a 100 yards each in the first three weeks, and it's very shitty if the team is 6-0 and leading the NFL in defense.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because they are emotional wrecks who are so consumed with the team winning and him being beneficial to that that they can't actually consider the scenario logically.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, but none of that has happened yet. The Jets aren't doing poorly because the season hasn't even begun. You think Woody and Tanny should cave just because there's a possibility that the Jets may "do poorly" without Revis?

16. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Is it a real possibility that Revis holds out this entire season?

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Highly unlikely. Either the Jets cave and give the guy what he wants, or Revis' camp caves in and agrees to a smaller deal. The Jets have far more leverage because they can simply trade Revis to any team willing to give him the money he wants for players or draft picks, or let Revis sit out his remaining 3 seasons.

18. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Given that he is being advised by his uncle Sean Gilbert, I'd say the magic 8-ball comes up, "Maybe."

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Interesting - I'm confused now. I'm going to try and ask Schefter on twitter.

20. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Wouldn't his service time actually be determined by the language of the NEW CBA? Revis and other holdouts could be making calculated gamble based on what the player reps are telling them about what the union is shooting for with regards to service time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.