The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

When both sides are sufficiently incentivized to resolve this matter, it will be resolved. I am guessing its resolved by the second episode of hard knocks.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

That discounts the players brought in to improve from last year.

It's quite simple, really. He's the best player on the team. Are they more likely to get to the SB THIS YEAR with him or without him?

That's his leverage, and it's foolish to pretend he doesn't have any.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

while not the dumbest f'ing response possible, that is an extremely dumb f'ing response, and I pity the thought process behind it. in no part of my post can anyone even remotely logically interpret it as wanting to trade them or wanting them to sit out.

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I don't think ultimatums work. Its up to Revis' agents to accurately advise him as to the potential consequences of his actions and his negotiating position. If they are failing to accurately inform their own client that the Jets have significant leverage here, then thats Revis' fault for hiring buffoons.

If Revis wants to play and get paid he and his Attorney should be able to come to terms w/the Jets. If Revis doesn't want to play and get paid, then the Jets will be able to proceed accordingly. No need for threats and ultimatums, those types of tactics are not useful in this situation. The Jets want to have a great long term relationship w/Revis. Its all about his choices.

5. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

No player is bigger than the team , that said the Jets and Revis have to see where they are compromise and get this deal done

Life is too short for egos

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Nobody is pretending he doesn't have any leverage. But its not as if having Revis guarantees the Jets anything. He isn't winning the SB by himself. He is a good player. He might be the best defensive player in the NFL right now. But that hardly means having him on the team = SB appearance, much less SB victory. He has some leverage - threatening to sit out. The threat of doing so is more leverage than actually sitting out is. Once he actually sits out - he hurts himself much more than he hurts the Jets.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'm a little confused about the facts here now that he has failed to report and given up the guaranty:

What are his contractual terms for 2011? I would think that he's actually a restricted free agent-I thought he voided the last two years of his original contract and the Jets aren't obligated to use the buy back, but I'm really not certain.

What are his terms for 2012?

If he doesn't show up by August 10 he doesn't get an accrued season. So what does that mean assuming no changes via the new cba-is he a restricted free agent in 2012 subject to normal RFA rules (i.e. he needs to get tendered a salary increase by the Jets?)

EDIT: Or does he simply make $5 million in 2011 and $15 in 2012, but neither are guaranteed? What if he holds out part of the year-does that change his 2011/2012 comp?

#647 ManlyGenius, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I have a feeling that Tanny has a set amount that he is willing to pay Revis without handcuffing the team longterm and he's sticking to it. All I'm hearing is that Revis wants $16 mil a year and he won't play unless he's the highest paid corner in the league. That doesn't leave much room for compromise. One side is going to have to give in.

9. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Or it will be an Anquan Boldin situation. He will fake an injury and ride the bike on the sideline during camp...

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Revis will have to back off more than the Jets, or the Jets are prepared to play the season without him

11. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

If it's true that Revis won't lose that gauranteed money until he fails to report on the 10th then that's a serious milestone. The way things are going right now, I'm not sure that Revis will report on the 10th. He seems to be taking the all or nothing approach where he's looking for Aso money and nothing else matters. If Revis doesn't return on the 10th, two things can happen. Either the Jets budge and they give Revis $16 mil a year or they continue their stalemate until who knows when.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think he already caused those two seasons not to be guaranteed. The Jets could still buy back the two seasons and he would paid $20 million but if he gets hurt after the first season they could cut him and he would lose $15 million.

He needs to report before the 10th so that he has a 4th year in the league. No one knows what the language of a new cba will be but as a young player losing a losing would not be good.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

why would the jets give him 16m a yr? he isn't worth 16m a year.

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Every report says the guaranteed money is gone because of his failure to report the other day. (There's some dispute about whether the guaranty would kick in now or at the end of the 2010 season). The real questions are:

1) What is his contractual status going forward if he reports between now and 8/10?
    2.) What is his status going forward if he reports after 8/10 but before the first game?
    3.) What is his status if he reports sometime in the middle of the season?
    4.) What if he holds out the whole damn season?

I haven't seen anyone articulate the answers to these questions but they're really all that matters in figuring out what's actually going on.

15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

.....if you want him on the field bad enough and there's no other way he'll show up. I don't think any CB is worth that much, but I'd sure like to see him on the field.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

all good questions, but I am assuming ultimately the Jets have him for another three years regardless, it is just a matter how much they owe him during those three years. if to keep him they would have to guarantee the $20 million, they certainly would. it is hard enough to get a team to do your bidding if you are looking for a trade with only one year left when they face losing you after the season, it will be damn near impossible for Revis to get the Jets to the point of trading him for whatever compensation they can get when they have him for 3 years. he is screwed.

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The more I look at this the more August 10 seems like a non-event. Most of the stories say he's owed $15 million, non guaranteed, in 2012. Even if he's not a free agent in 2013 by virtue of losing a year of service time in 2010 for showing up late, its almost certain that under any new CBA, like the last CBA, that he be given a guaranteed tender somewhat higher than his 2012 salary; if I'm right the one year of service time he's giving up would be a one year $16 million plus guaranteed year, so it's not a horrible consequence for him.

EDIT: Jetblue, I'll bet you a hundred bucks to your charity of choice that Revis doesn't play out the three years on his contract for the amounts currently outstanding; it either gets completely rewritten or he gets traded.

#657 ManlyGenius, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

RichCimini

Woody Johnson wasn't kidding around. GM Mike Tannenbaum reached out to Darrelle Revis' agent Mon night, source says.

19. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

What the hell is wrong with you man? I was going to write a long post about this but it's no use arguing with someone who displays such a unnecesary agressive conduct.

The only thing I will say is that it's not about the money but about the attitude. I don't care how much he earns, it's not my money anyway.

But hell, I'm sorry for being vocal about my stupidity, I'm just too dumb to understand what I'm talking about.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5434320

Jets reach out to Darrelle Revis's Agent

By Rich Cimini
    ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- A few hours after New York Jets owner Woody Johnson indicated the team would be reaching out to Darrelle Revis' agent, it happened.

On Monday night, general manager Mike Tannenbaum spoke with Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, a league source said Tuesday. It was an attempt by the Jets to facilitate negotiations. The two sides are trying to negotiate a new contract for the All-Pro cornerback, but they're so far apart that Revis failed to report to training camp.

There was no sign of Revis on Day 3 of training camp. But there was sound.

Coach Rex Ryan admitted Tuesday that he has mentioned the star cornerback's name in team meetings. Unlike some coaches, who take the out-of-sight, out-of-mind philosophy with holdouts, Ryan said he doesn't want to avoid the subject.

"I always mention it," Ryan said. "We go over the goals of our football team. Why wouldn't you mention that? You're talking about a tremendous football player and a great teammate. He's one of the guys. He's still a Jet. He's just not here."

No, he's not. Revis, seeking a new contract, is being fined more than $16,000 per day during his holdout. So far, that's a bill of $48,000. Ryan indicated that the Revis situation was status quo, with "nothing to report."

"We admit that if Darrelle's not here, it's going to be more difficult," Rya said. "You're taking the best corner in the league out of your defense. But by no means does that mean we're not going to still get it done. We'll still get it done on defense."

Ryan believes Revis is receiving advice from his uncle, former NFL defensive lineman Sean Gilbert. In 1997, as a member of the Washington Redskins, Gilbert refused to sign his franchise tender and sat out the entire season.

"I'm sure it's happening," Ryan said.

In June, Revis told ESPNNewYork.com that he relies on his uncle's advice.

"I always talk to my uncle," Revis said at the time. "He knows the situation, but he tries to stay out of certain things. He doesn't try to tell me what to do or try to be a control freak. He's a great uncle and his advice is always good."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.