The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Had this been the 80's, I don't think people would be on his a$$ that much.
    He has earn't the right to ask for more money yes, but he also has to be realistic.
    Good luck to him, hes trying and if he gets it, well done, if he doesn't, then he needs to get his act together quickly, say thankyou to all concerned and start working his ass off in TC.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

If you look at total money Joe Haden is now the benchmark and he also got $26 million in guaranteed money, which the Jets can't do because of the reallocation rule.

Revis will have to accept a incentive laden contract or nothing at all.

(is laden the correct word)

#602 MadBacker Prime, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

accept is the correct word.

4. MadBacker Prime

LOL, yeah that too. That was just a retard brain fart.

5. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Is not personal, it's just unrealistic, come on, 16 million dollars?? why would he need all that money for? He can get 14 and it won't make much difference, unless he wants to buy the Jets franchise when he gets older.

6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Here would be a novel concept he could try, HONOR the contract that YOU signed!!! just a thought...

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The second NFL teams "honor" the contract they signed this makes sense. But that's not the system that's in place.

8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

vBookie when Revis will return.

aug 10th??

hold out entire season?

jets give in?

revis gives in?

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything more f'ing stupid than when people try to say how much money other people should be content with. just f'ing stupid. did the internet make people proud to be so vocal about their stupidity or did it just make everyone more aware of it?

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I don't begrudge him for trying to shoot for more money. Matter of fact, the way his rookie contract was set up, you can almost see why he had it set in his head how, if he outplayed his rookie value, he'd be able to revisit it. On the other hand, I just don't see where he thinks his leverage is.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

His leverage is the threat that he is crazy or pissed off so much that he would irrationally decide not to play and that it could cost the Jets wins and money. Its his leverage. Not great leverage - so he needs to get the best deal the jets are willing to offer him and make nice w/everybody and then get to TC. If he actually follows through on the threat he loses alot b/c he doesn't get paid and he doesn't play and he gets fined. Thats no good. He's got to get paid.

should make for an entertaining hard knocks and btw, that could be the whole purpose of this exercise.

12. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

If the Jets FO doesn't want to make Revis the "highest paid CB in the league", they probably shouldn't have hyped him up / stroked his ego as such all off-season long. They only have themselves to blame in my opinion...

With that said, something should eventually get ironed out between the two sides. I don't know how happy Revis will be with the outcome, but I highly doubt Revis sits out come the opener. He's just too important to that defense, and not having him on the field would be a devastating blow. Just my opinion...

~BK~

13. MadBacker Prime

His fine, is his game check. No matter how you look at it, he's losing a million dollar salary this year. Whether it be from not getting paid or fines.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I just can't fathom the Jets cutting ties with Revis and not finding a way to lock him up for life, either with a short term band-aid or a long term deal.
    I have to think given the fact that we are obviously going all in for a SB this season that the best player on our team will be in uniform game 1 against the Ravens.I just don't see ownership letting this happen.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's the most amazing thing, the only leverage he has is "I won't play," which isn't much leverage at all considering he has voided the guaranteed $20 million (unless I am mistaken about what I read), and still has a couple of years left on his contract to fulfill. how long is he willing not to play for?

he is deserving of more money no doubt, but he has shot himself in the foot with this hardline tactic. he and his agent are out of their league IMO on this matter. it will be very interesting to see how it all resolves.

16. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

How many pages will this thread have? More or less than 100?

17. MadBacker Prime

You are correct, that is a gonnah.

18. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

How many pages will this thread have?

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I'm pretty sure in addition to not gettting paid, he also gets fined $16K a day for holding out. Darelle: negotiate the best deal you can get and get to camp and get paid.

he's not worried about waiving the guaranteed 20M, b/c he will get a more lucrative provision into his new deal or he will continue to sit out. He needs to get this done. The Jets need to get him in camp. His Agent needs to make it happen.

#619 AbdulSalam, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

His leverage is he can just not show up. Which is what he is doing.

His value is at an all time high right now. People think he is the best corner in the league.

It would make NO SENSE at all for him to show up and play the year for $1M. (and don't give me any crap about his contract being front loaded. So what, he already has that money. He shows up and plays he get $1M. He stays on the counch playing xbox he gets 0)

The only way Revis is coming to play is if he gets more money this year.

Think of it with Revis's best interests in mind. Here are 3 scenarios:
    1. He sits out this year. Jets have to trade him next year or pay him $$$. His value will still be very high, 1 year out of the league and his value won't have dropped that much, plus no risk of injury or dropoff in performance.
    2. He plays for $1M. He has anopther top season. Jets will have to pay him next year. Great. But how likely is it he will have another season like the last?
    3. He plays for $1M and gets hurt or has a significant dropoff in performance. i.e. he no longer looks like the top corner in the league. Next year the jets go, meh, we have cro and wilson, we don't need to pay Revis.

There is too much downside risk to coming back and playing for $1M. He will sittout till the Jets step up and pay him some real garaunteed money this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.