Brett Favre to Retire*

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 3, 2010.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

per ESPN right now.

Brett Favre began to inform Vikings officials Monday night he will not return for his 20th season, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and Jay Glazer of FOX.

Favre reportedly told teammates and coaches that his ankle has not responded and he doesn't plan to play this year. Favre is expected to issue a press release later Tuesday and the team hopes he changes his mind. Keep in mind it's early August, which gives Favre plenty of time to change gears once the Vikings have begged enough. In the meantime, you'll want to avoid drafting Favre early and downgrade Vikings wideouts. It's too risky not too. Aug. 3 - 10:39 am et

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/03/report-favre-tells-vikings-hes-not-returning/

Many of you scoffed at our report of uneasiness in Mankato regarding the Brett Favre situation.

Scoff no more.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that Favre began telling team officials on Monday night that he will not return for another season. The disclosure comes on the heels of an observation from Zulgad that team "ownership and power brokers" held a meeting at practice that "looked very intense."

Zulgad also reports that Favre plans to issue a press release later today. Apparently, Favre's injured ankle "has not responded" after surgery and rehab.

Jay Glazer of FOX also reports that Favre has begun communicating the message to teammates.

We've been insisting that, before Favre returns, he needs to persuade everyone that he won't return. Just like he did last year.

#1 The Dark Knight, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

hahaha

i...smell...bullshit!!!

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I just don't see him retiring, but if he in fact does retire Green Bay will run away with the division

4. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

EDIT: Just kidding, guess this is legit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5433551

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Minnesota is loaded around the QB so I think they can still be very good, I don't think it was reasonable to expect the 2009 version of Favre again anyway.

6. The Dark Knight

Haha true, Favre might feel better by next week or by Week 1 of the season.

7. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

lets be realistic...their ceiling without favre is what it was before he came...maybe good enough to make the playoffs but they'll be bounced in the 1st round

8. ........

........ Trolls

They'll need a new #3 QB. Propose a trade immediately. Kellen Clemens for two pairs of Viking horns and an autographed photo of Fran Tarkenton.

9. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

i hope not, i just drafted him last night.

10. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

lol that sucks. I wouldn't worry until you hear something from Minnesota or Favre himself.

11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Didn't see that coming, thought for sure he'd be back. I think that will give the Packers the nod in that division.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I'm taking this with a grain of salt because last year around this time he told everyone he retired. Then like 2 weeks later their were mumblings about him coming back. Then we all kow the rest.

Altho if this is true, then our schedule just got a lot easier.

13. TonyM2015

TonyM2015 New Member

lets get this deal done now!!! Tanny do ittttttttt

14. TonyM2015

TonyM2015 New Member

If tanny gets this done, we can use this as trade bait! I like this proposal!

15. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure whether it is, but it does reek of a planted story. ESPN shifts responsibility over to the Minnesota Star-Tribune, who is acting on an anonymous source. Given that it's Favre, you have to be suspicious that he's trying to set the sporting world up again.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

aarggh.... i wanted to see the Jets paste Favre from the stands in week 5......now i'm flying out for Tarvaris Jackson?!!......FML.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Without Favre they are 8-8 or 9-7 at best. They were 10-6 the year before they got Favre but their division was weak (an 0-16 Lions team and a 6-10 Packers team). Now the other three teams in the division are all much improved, plus their out of division opponents are tough (AFC East and NFC East).

18. The Dark Knight

I thought of that too. Monday Night Football just got a lot less exciting, but much easier for the Jets. And as others have said, the Packers become the front runner in the NFC North.

Favre is a very important player though, even in fantasy. Most likely Adrian Peterson would become the most important fantasy player and WR's like Rice would go down in fantasy.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Sidney Rice's fantasy stock just dropped like a 3rd testicle.

20. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I noticed that too (secondhand attributed source) and thought, "hmm." Normally no big deal, but in this case, quite possibly a smoke screen.