The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I think the Jets have more leverage than Revis does, hes under contract for 3 years and has alot to lose by holding out. Last year we had a #1 corner on one side and a rotating door on the other. If Wilson is as good as advertised, between him and Cromartie, we could have both sides of the field covered very nicely. I thought losing Jenkins last year would crush our defense....wrong. Rex will make adjustments. We may not be the #1 rated pass defense without Revis, but if we are in the top 5. I think we'll be OK. We should be able to get a few more points per game out of the Offense to make up the difference. I want Revis here, no question...but when I here a price tag around 100m on one player? I'll pass, now if they do a 3yr deal worth 30-35m, count me in. That wont break us.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I don't think they are going to come with a long term solution, but I do think they will come up with a short term solution that gives Revis more money up front and will keep him happy over the next 3 years or at least until the CBA gets re-done where they can work out a long term deal.

3. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

It really doesn't matter how much leverage the Jets have. Whether they have unlimited leverage or just some, it won't make a damn difference. Because unfortunately Revis and his camp won't rest until he is the highest paid cornerback.

Asomugha, Joe Haden is the standard to them; he and his entourage won't rest until he tops that. Freeloader Geiger and Uncle Gilbert will have none of it. Actually Geiger probably couldn't care less, and is just happy to be in his presence.

He might even hold out all of the preseason games and play nba 2k10 on his 60 inch while trying to figure out how to feed his family in the long term.

Or you know what? Hell the Jets might just do it. They just might pay the dude a $17 million per year contract. All will be well in Jets land.

Right?

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That sounds all well and good if you're Woody Johnson and you're trying to convince fans of your dedication to getting a deal done, but he CAN'T sit down one-on-one with the player unless Revis fires his agent first.

5. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

Revis can talk to Woody one-on-one, and can work out a deal without his agent. His agent will get paid either way. The agent will more than likely advise Revis not do to the meeting without him/them present though. But in the end, the agent works for Revis, not the other way around.

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's a good call junc, Woody seems to want to get it done but I don't really see much comprimise on the part of Revis. The whole I want to make more then Aso is unbelievebly stupid and selfish. Is Revis the best CB in the game? He was last year but that doesn't mean he will this year. I think and hope he will but things can change, teams can try to change the way they approach him and unfortunately rules change to create offense. If Revis goes back is he willing to give that extra money back? Of course not, nobody would.

People can knock Woody for being cheap (which I don't think he is) but when he says that they can't give him 16 million and continue to do what they need to do I believe him. We need revis but I don't think we need him bad enough to tie up the franchise from being competitive either.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Why can he not? Revis is signed for 3 years still so it's not like they're writing up a contract.

8. Sundayjack

It's a violation of the CBA.

I'll double check if I get a chance later this morning, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I thought someone did this recently though? Ricky Williams maybe?

10. Sundayjack

I want to say Deion Branch. I seem to recall where the team tried to make contact with the player directly without the agent and were slapped backward by the NFLPA.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I think Woody wants to meet with Revis 1-on-1 just to get an understanding of the numbers that could be agreed upon. If I was Revis' agent, I wouldn't want Revis to sign a contract without the agent being there, just as I wouldn't want Woody Johnson structuring a deal without Tannenbaum there.

12. jaybny

jaybny Banned

after Tanny saying that Revis's rookie contract was the most intense negotiations he ever had.. i dont have any faith in a deal. Revis is no longer a Jet .. deal w it.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Bart Scott backs Darrelle Revis in holdout from Jets as Woody Johnson and Mike Tannen

As much as I like Barts gob, he really should learn to curb his opinions every now and again - bull in a china shop.
    BTW , Love the TShirt :up:

14. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, the prudent thing to do would clearly be to change his 3 years under contract to one.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

And what other mechanism exists for the screwed over fan to express displeasure? I'm supposed to cheer this selfish ass after he may be putting the most promising season for this team in 40 years in jeopardy, by being absolutley unreasonable? Yea, I know he doesn't give a crap if we boo or cheer, as he has made it quite obvious that this team or its fans are meaningles to him, but at least it will make me feel good, for a few minutes anyway.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm at the point now where I just want to know when this will be resolved....no more speculation, no more shit-flinging between the 2 sides, no more idiotic posters jumping off the Revis bandwagon, no more GeigerGeiger, no more "PAY THE MAN" bullshit......just let me know when he's back on the field.

The squabble is getting old...enough already.

#576 MBGreen, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I can't understand why some of you are saying that Revis is a goner?
    Rex called Revis the best player in the NFL and the most important piece to this defense. Do you think he'd really let this guy wear another uni?

I think we should all just take a break from this Revis talk and realize that this will be worked out and we have a great season ahead to look forward to.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As a show of good faith, the Jets could offer to add one year at $15-16 mil to the end of the current deal but I doubt the Revis camp would go for it.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Due to what Revis now demands it is virtually impossible for the Jets to meet them.

The reallocation rule puts any guaranteed money against the 2009 cap, which we now only have $300 grand in cap space.

That is why Brick's deal was structured the way it was, he chose the skill incentives and got a insurance policy to protect against injury.

Revis will not do that, he wants guaranteed money now. He has already lost his buyout options that were on his current contract so if this is not done by the 10th he has no reason to come play for 1 million and risk injury. As stated before the Leon injury and the way the Jets handled Leon really shook some players up.

Leon and Darrelle were close, at least according to reporters and Leon's wife. (who I had the lovely opportunity to argue with via twitter)

20. Sundayjack

Here's a crazy idea - he adjusts his demands or he honors the contract with three years remaining.

His leverage is squishy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.