The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Be careful what you wish for.
    I think if Revis does end up leaving us, there are very few DCs that will be able to use him like Rex does. Sure hes left on his own in coverage, but with the speed and pressure up front, and a great supporting cast, he may rue the day.....if it comes to that.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think he's like Deion Sanders. Just leave him out there and that's all. He can play for 4 teams and be highly successful.

That's why the Jets want him here for life. Darrell Green style.

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

We have him at 3-years $21 million, why would we reduce that to a 1-year 16 mil deal? He would sit in the FA market and go to the highest bidder, leaving the Jets with nothing in return.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's called a franchise tag..

5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

If the Jets plan on getting rid of Revis via trade after the season, why would they up his salary to $16 million this season? It doesn't make any sort of sense.

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I didn't say we should trade him.

All I'm saying is making a one year deal or even just reworking this year of his deal should be good enough. It will get him in camp and we can deal with it later. If we can't come to an agreement next offseason we could tag him (if we make it a one year) or if we just rework this years salary for him we'd be dealing with the same problem next year (if there is one)

7. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I still don't really see why the Jets would change a 3-year 21mil contract into a 1-year 16 million contract. Revis wants a long term deal with a lot of guaranteed money and a big signing bonus. He will not be happy until he gets that.

The Jets have nearly all of the leverage in this negotiation. If they decide to give him a 1-year deal, and essentially voiding the last 2 years of his current contract, they lost all their leverage.

It will also set an ugly precedent. Like Revis, Mangold and Harris are making peanuts this season. If Revis gets a 1-year fix, don't you think Mangold and Harris are going to be upset and ask for the same thing?

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Which we need to keep Mangold.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

To be fair Revis turned on us first.

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

No they don't...they have none of the PR on their side (fans or media) and Revis is the most valuable player on the team. He's the difference between potentially being a Super Bowl team or not. Plus they got rid of some of their own leverage by promising to rip up the contract. Offering $3 million instead of $1 million for this year isn't exactly gonna cut it.

Eventually Revis is going to win, you don't give up $20 million guaranteed to come crawling back. It's just a matter of whether he gets his money from the Jets late in camp, after an 0-2 start (a la Emmitt the one year with the Cowboys) or gets Keyshawned off the team and gets his contract from someone else.

#550 NYJFan10, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Have you seen the fans in this thread? I'm pretty sure they lean mostly in favor of the Jets on this one.

The Jets have the leverage. Revis has no where to go. He either suits up and plays for 3 seasons, or his NFL career is essentially over.

Now I think they Jets and Revis will reach an agreement before the season starts, but if they don't, the Jets still have Revis for 3 seasons.

#551 Steve032, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  12. NYJFan10

Message boards aren't indiciative of the general public. Plus most callers on WFAN seem to be siding with Revis and not management (not that they're always indiciative of the public either), and Revis got cheered during that one practice he was on the field.

13. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I can't argue with any of the points you have just made. I think the fan support is mostly split. I think Revis deserves a nice contract, as he certainly has earned it, but asking for $15+ million a season just to feed his ego is definitely a little ridiculous.

14. NYJFan10

I don't disagree that Revis is being greedy (and that dizziness stunt during minicamp took away any sympathy I had for him)...but the Leon thing, the Sean Gilbert thing and all of Joe Haden's guaranteed money are emboldening him that much more.

Plus everything the Jets have done has been to win this year, be the biggest show in town and sell the seats in their new stadium. They don't do any of that without Revis, well most of the seats are probably sold since Woody started doing major discounting of the prices.

15. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

The Jets did approach Revis on working out a new contract. That is true. Maybe not the best move by the FO, but they did. I can see the point that they wanted to reward Revis, and wanted to make him happy, and a happy Jet, for a long time. I don't recall anywhere that Mike T promised Revis that he would be the highest CB in the league. Just because Mike T and Rex said that he was the best CB, doesn't mean he's going to be the highest paid.

I just think the Revis camp is handling this all wrong. First, with the demands of the contract of 16 mil, and then by holding out. I tend to lose a lot of respect for those who hold out. Mangold, on the other hand, gained more respect from me. He was a man about it. He expressed his concerns in a professional manner, showed up to minicamps, and showed up to training camp on time. That is how you show a team that you are commited, and the team will show their commitment a lot easier with a nice contract.

I want the Jets to forget about Revis now, and give Mangold and Harris what they deserve. Be loyal to those that are in TC right now.

16. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

I swear this situation is so stupid. Revis is letting the absolute WRONG people giving him advice

with a supporting cast of Uncle Gilbert, Ty Law, Geiger the freeloader, and his agent, this is not going to end well at all.

The atheletes with the entourage, and the ones without. The strange thing is, Crabtree and Dez Bryant had identical agents and situations, but completely different outcomes. Dez Bryant didn't demand to be paid as much as Demaryius Thomas thats for sure. One compromised his rookie year, and his team's season, while the other showed up 45 minutes before training camp began.

What do families eat in the Revis household? Exquisite Steaks and Fine wine?

Listen Revis is my favorite player, but I'm not delusional enough to see his actions and comments are stupid as hell and quite laughable.

17. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

I was listening to 1050 this morning and Woody Johnson said he would meet Revis anywhere he wants to get a deal done...just one on one

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think when the owner is being very open to sitting down to hammer out a deal as the player you have no choice but to sit. I expect them to all get together and come up with a short term fix over the next 36 hours.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I expect it to get done sooner rather than later but I think the Jets are playing the PR game right now. They want to meet revis by himself w/o his agent and that's not happening.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Manish will be on Sirius NFL Radio @ 8:15 AM to talk about Revis situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.