Gholston is a load now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 2, 2010.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

All its going to take is a sack or a couple of hurries in pre-season, followed by some Pats on the back from team mates, and his confidence will rocket.
    His character seems similar to that of Harris, quiet, just wish he played like him.
    I really hope he does finally succeed.

2. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Said it last year but I think the guy will be a decent run stuffer at DE.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

when he played last year, he got most of his reps with his hand on the ground at DE ... im not buying that this "position switch" is going to help much

heres to hoping that im wrong ... but thats a rare occurance

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I hope he succeeds as much as anyone but confidence isn't the issue. He isn't lost in the game because he isn't confident, it's because he can't get it down mentally. He's not getting pushed around or coming up short trying to get to the QB because he lacks confidence, it's because he's too stiff to get off of his blocks.

He had a sack in the preseason, two in fact. One was just negated due to a bullshit roughing call. He got the pats on the back. He still hasn't done it. I would love nothing more than for him to turn it around and become the beast he was drafted to be, but the signs are pointing to a miracle facilitating that far more than hard work and a confidence boost.
    The only problem with that is that we could have gotten a decent, rotational run stuffer at DE for much cheaper than the 6th overall pick and his massive contract. If that is all he becomes, his tenure with the Jets is a failure.

5. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Absolutely Cato, I had somewhat high hopes for the guy when he was drafted, but it became more and more obvious as the games went by that he just doesn't have "it." He hasn't had a sack in his career yet. This just adds more fuel to the fire toward the school of thought that combine numbers are worthless.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Even just that clip on the last page, where he had a clear path the the QB and got called for a helmet-to-helmet hit. It's like he has no football skills or savvy at all, just a workout guy who could dominate inferior athletes in college. That doesn't work in the pros.

7. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Oh yeah, I remember that helmet-to-helmet, that pretty much sums up his entire career as a Jet. But you can bet your bottom dollar, if/when we release him, there will be some team who is drooling over the measurables and willing to give him a nice deal.

8. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

I agree that he is totally overpaid for what his role will be i.e run stuffer

Rex touched on this to a certain extent by syaing he will play in the nfl for a long time , i.e when he reaches $2-3 mil per year people will always sign him as his strength can make him a good rotational DE

9. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Rex has to say that, his confidence is already low, if Rex we're to say anything but that it would pretty much be the nail in the coffin. Last year as a rotational defensive end he was nothing special, sure not special enough to command $3 million a season, unless it's the Redskins paying.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Cleveland.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

until Gholston proves he can play football at this level...he can go fuck himself.

God forgot to put the "effort" chromosome in his DNA.

12. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Of course, that could also mean he doesn't like to take showers regularly.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

fixed it sir. :)

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha...thanks.

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if his smaller frame can take the pounding as a two gap down lineman than I think he can be good simply cause of his power and explosion off the snap.

asking him to be a LB'er was a mistake.

i didnt really want him on the team and held hope hed pan out due to his raw athleticism.

that being said Gholston prolly wouldve been a pretty damn good 4-3 DE on a team with a solid 3 technique DT.

thats just my opinion. we'll see. he definitely seems to lack that fire it takes to be a real "football player" and not just an athlete

16. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I agree. Sadly, I don't believe that the Ghost has signed his last NFL contract...

17. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

The best load ended up on the couch.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

This is going to be Gholstons last shot to make it with the Jets. Hopefully he takes advantage of it and succeeds at DE.

19. Inafalcs

Inafalcs Member

New York Jets nyjets

EA: DE V. Gholston just batted a Sanchez pass down at the line.

HERE WE GO BABY

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i just saw the tweet too.

did somebody teach Gholston how to play defense this offseason?