The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well if Revis isn't there wouldn't somebody have to play left CB?

2. HOI

HOI Active Member

From Cimini..."Sanchez just scratched his balls...could be a sign of penicillin resistant gonorrhea?"

3. skeleton_frames

Cromartie might cover those guys, but heaven help us if he has to tackle them. LOL.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

It's still his fucking job. Would you take less than what you feel you are worth to continue with your company without trying to get a raise? This is how the business side of the NFL works. Do not throw the "he's a millionaire" bullshit around. They're all millionaires because they're basically destroying their bodies for your entertainment. You just come off as sounding jealous and petty, which you are.
    And all of those are valid concerns for Woody. However, if he wants to own a championship calibre team, he's going to have to pay for championship calibre players.

Investing in new training facilities for the players and a new stadium to attract more fans will help grow the business but nothing sells NFL tickets and merchandise quite as well as Vince Lombardi Trophies. If he is not willing to keep his top players on his team, then he is not going to make the profit he wants to.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah, since Revis plays left the plan was to put Cro at right and rotate Dwight and Kyle at the LCB.

So Cro can get used to playing his position, RCB. That's why it's odd.

6. CatoTheElder

My thoughts exactly. This very well could be a lengthy holdout, but putting Cro at the #1 spot makes sense because he is the #1 CB in camp right now.

Lowery getting in on the rotation makes sense because he's a veteran and earned the playing time over Wilson due to his tenure alone. The fact that Wilson is a rookie also means the CS has to take steps to make sure that he isn't overburdened right out of the gate. He still has a lot to learn.

This would be happening regardless of wether Revis was holding out for another day or for the entirety of TC. It isn't an indicator either way, just logical coaching.

7. MadBacker Prime

That was the point I was making all along. (the bolded part)

Since Cro is RCB, if it was a short fix he would have left KW and DL over their.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If all Revis wants is 3 years, $30 million, it does set a bad precedent for players who want raises with nothing back from the team, but we can always use the uncapped year excuse, throw him an extra $9 million this year, which he'd be worth, and then he's under contract and happy for three more years, and we can worry about every other upcoming free agent that we have in the meantime.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

LCB vs RCB is overrated anyway. The Jets moved Revis around a decent amount last year, and if they do that, Cromartie and Wilson will be moving around, too. I think Rex and co. want them to be comfortable wherever they're asked to play.

10. Salz

Salz New Member

Destroying their bodies for our entertainment? Really? You think they make a lot of sacrifices? I'm as big an advocate for players as anyone out there when they're fighting with owners, but lets not glorify them to much. Their on the job for a half a calendar year and get a ridiculous amount of perks.

11. Salz

Salz New Member

What Revis is doing is indefensible. You don't hold out for a new contract when you have three years remaining. That is wrong, period. The little bitch held out two weeks of training camp when he was a rookie too. He has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen. Listen, he has a right to be cocky. He's the best CB in football, maybe ever. But there's still a right way of going about things. He deserves to be the highest paid CB in the league, but he's under contract for 3 more years... a contract HE HELD OUT TO SIGN. I don't want my 24 jersey anymore. Now I have to spend another 80 dollars.

12. MadBacker Prime

Replicas suck.

lol

13. Jets Fan from NE

I don't like the fact that if a player gets hurt he gets cut. If the NFL made contracts like MLB things like this would not happen (as much.) I think both sides teams and players get too greedy. This time you have to say Revis is MORE greedy than the Jets. He had ONE, 1, I said one great year. He'll probably have more but let him prove himself over time. With 3 years left on his contract I think the Jets should let him sit out 3 years. Then what kind of player would he be. People say trade him. Unless we get a Peyton Manning caliber player (after all that's the kind of $$ he wants.) Let him take a 3 year vacation, and then give him a job selling popcorn and hot dogs.

14. CatoTheElder

Well here's a level-headed, well thought out argument. I'm just going to assume that you won't bother thinking about the sentences following this one so you don't need to bother reading them. Wouldn't want to give you a migraine now, would we?

He doesn't have three years remaining because the Jets haven't bought back the last two yet. As the deal stands, those years are voided and he's on the last year of the deal. The fans are the only ones treating the 2011 and 2012 years of that deal as a forgone conclusion. Until they buy the contract back, those years are not there.

And getting a new deal in place would actually help the Jets financially since the new terms Revis is seeking, 3 years/$30 million would drop Revis' cap number in those last two years by $2 million and $5 million respectively. It's this year's $1 million price tag and the lack of money guaranteed against injury that is the sticking point. If they can patch $9 million onto this year by moving around the other seven and throwing a few more onto it, then they'll be golden.

The problem on management's side is that Woody is balking at the idea of paying guarantees. La Canfora wouldn't have mentioned that fact if the Jets were completely unable to pay him like that. The front office is not getting the green light from ownership. I'm not saying that Woody should be shoveling money at whoever asks for it, but not paying Revis right now is a mistake that could cost the Jets dearly.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Both sides have cards to play. But let's face it - without Revis going into Opening Day, I have far less confidence this team will win it all.

And that is not a good thing.

16. CatoTheElder

Guaranteeing a whole contract for an NFL player is a bad investment, period, regardless of who you're guaranteeing. With the damage players take in this league, it would be a horrible business decision that could ruin teams, but I agree that the players deserve more security.

The CBA should allow and the owners should be more willing to let teams bump the amount of guaranteed money in players' contracts. It's a blood sport, plain and simple, and with the money that the owners rake in the players deserve more.

17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's see how much swagger Darrelle has after he watches the Jets go 4-0 from his house in Bumfuck, Pennsylvania

18. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

CORTLAND, N.Y.—The New York Jets are exploring an idea that would send All-pro cornerback Darrelle Revis to the Washington Redskins for Albert Haynesworth an inside source says

Banned

#398 Vilmalover51, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Link???????

20. CatoTheElder

Way to ruin my fucking week. Source?

Why would we be trading our best defensive player for a guy who refuses(after four straight failed attempts to pass a conditioning test, there's really no other explanation) to get into camp and play a 3-4 defense so he can come here and play a 3-4 defense?

It's not just the idea of trading away my favorite player that gets to me with this rumor. Sometimes Tannebaum's "leave not stone unturned" approach really just seems like he has nothing better to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.