Gholston is a load now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He won't be playing in space or in coverage and won't have much read and reacting to do which is where his issues mainly were. If Rex is right and Gholston is stronger and is mainting his ground at the point of attack then he can be a very effective 3-4 DE.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Basically, Mangini fell in love with his straight line speed and his ability to pick up heavy objects. The story of him scolding Gholston by waving around his Combine numbers during practice is sickening. Everyone believed that he was going to play OLB if he went to a 3-4 team. In fact, as far as I can remember, there weren't too many people talking about him going to a 4-3 team to begin with.

Because of his sack record at Ohio State, everyone projected him as a pass rusher. Any talk of him playing DE in a 3-4 would have gotten you laughed out of the room.
    With everything that he has shown thus far, playing football would be playing out of position

3. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

His is a load all right, a load of shit.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

And that's a stupid fucking post how? Because he was invited to train with some MMA fighters in the off-season to help better his football career? Maybe I went a little overboard to say that he would get his ass kicked our whatever, but the fact of the matter is he's been paid a shit ton of money to do absolutely nothing for our team, you think some of that money could of helped us get Revis/Mangold/Harris re-signed? At least one of them? He's a POS and I stand by that statement until he actually does something on the field, a pass deflection, more help on defense, I don't care about stats DO SOMETHING to prove your contract

I really hope your not protecting him. Because if you are, your the one with the stupid fucking post

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No argument there.

If Gholston can actually develop some moves to go with his 'pretend I'm a tree' brand of hand-fighting, he may turn into something at 3-4 DE. Oh yeah, and if he can find a heart somewhere.

6. RF917

RF917 New Member

Its good to see him moved back to defensive end. But Im not sure 3-4 defensive end is really his "natural" position. He was a 4-3 end in college. Its not the same. But it is closer than linebacker.

7. IATA

IATA Trolls

I want you to get a dictionary and tell me that you used the right words, because I think you just used big words that sounded impressive.

*edit*
    And you edited it. GJ.

8. 101GangGreen101

I misspelled perception wrong and put down "perspiration" my mistake sue me, we've all had typos before

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

10. IATA

IATA Trolls

Like I said, you edited it out. Tell me if you were reading and someone started talking about their sweat of someone, you wouldn't laugh?

And I think you were out of line hoping he gets his ass kicked, but that's my opinion and you have yours. He chose to do his own program, which works for him because he's stronger now. He needed to get strogner because he's undersized for the position. I would like to see him improve his footwork and agility next year, but you can't fault a guy for doing his own program.

11. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

He's very strong, fast, and athletic. Nobody questions that, I don't think. He's also in way over his head in the NFL. I doubt anyone questions that anymore, either. He's a total bust as far as being an NFL player.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

it's a start, did he say if he gained any weight?

13. CatoTheElder

No he's not, he's stiffer than morning wood. That is the thing that bothers me the most. With all of his strength and his speed, he's still going to get knocked around on the DLine once tackles figure out that he cannot turn his body to adjust to the block.

His footwork is still horrible and he his flexibility is almost completely absent. Adjust your blocking so you can hit him from the side and he can be moved really easily.

14. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

In the 3-4 defense, which the jets primarily play (with blitzers galore), the DEs have two gap responsibility (the gap between the guard and tackle and the sealing the end after the tackle). Their primary job is not to go after the quarterback. The pressure is supposed to come from blitzing OLBs.

The 3-4 DE is expected to read the play of the offense and figure out which gap he has to seal. Its not nearly as much of a read and react position as OLB, but still requires some reading of the offense.

15. IATA

IATA Trolls

He deff needs to work on his agility, but I understand why he chose to focus on strength this year. He's an undersized DL, so he needed to get stronger to be able to push guys around. Hopefully he takes the opportunity to work on the agility next year with Leberfield or whoever.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He can't play football at the professional level.

17. 101GangGreen101

You got a point, I changed my post just now, I didn't want to come off as an asshole for my own mistake ... I would laugh actually not going to lie ... you got me there

I mean what has the guy tried so far? Lawrence Taylor (Fail for both of them in the end ones going to jail the other still sucked) I just want some progression from him anything small, I care about sacks, tackles, ETC as much as the next guy but to see some improvement from him would be amazing on his part. And to be honest I would be absolutely satisfied if he showed that he's actually learned something. I thought the MMA training could of helped him out in the toughness department as well as other assets that could help his game.

But if he's so sure of himself and his program then I can't knock on him especially if he's doing whatever it takes to win. If he had an impact on our defense, VG could turn us from very good to elite, his development means that much to the Jets.

He better watch his back though, people are beginning to rave about Westerman again (http://twitter.com/rodboone/status/20142059407)

If he's going to stay as a DE for the rest of his career or his tenure with the Jets I would love to see him shadow the Big Cat, he could learn so much from him

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Forget it then, he's finished.

19. CatoTheElder

He didn't just focus on his strength this season, he's always had it. That's been one of the biggest problems. He has basically been a body builder that Jim Tressel decided to let play on his team and Mangini campaigned for the Jets to draft.

He's been able to move OLine around since he's been in the league, provided he can get the right position on him. The problem is that he cannot create the right position. Working on his agility for DE would have been far easier than working on his agility for OLB.

Then again, I have no proof that he didn't do it(absence of evidence not the evidence of absence blah blah blah go fuck yourself Mr. Cheney). It may may very well turn out that he had been working on it all offseason and just didn't want to hang out with Jay Glazer over the Summer. However, until I see otherwise, all I have to go on is the past two years of his play in the league which convinced me that the competition he was most prepared for was winning the nickname of "Cactus" away from Bryan Thomas.

He also needs to learn how to play football. You can still literally see the question mark forming above his head after the QB says, "hike," during every play. It's like a guard from Medal Gear Solid spotting the box under which Snake is hiding.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

does switching positions help with chasing qb's???
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6f4rLJ-ipw[/YOUTUBE]