The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jets1988

jets1988 Member

Wow we can sign K.Wilson to a 5 Yr deal but we can't get Revis a restructured contract. Just pay him already.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Even if we could do that, what's to stop Revis from turning around the next year and demanding more money just like he's doing now?

3. 624

624 Banned

I remember telling you this before, there are rules preventing such large jumps in salary from year to year.

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Everyone, meet the slippery slope fallacy!

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I have an idea! no agent would ever go for it...

Why not simply put a clause in the contract stating that upon signing, the player would not be allowed to hold out in an effort to force the team to restructure a contract with more than 1 year remaining on the deal.

Should a player default on that clause, he must repay the previous years salary to the team, or forfeit any remaining signing bonus/guaranteed money in the deal, whichever of the 2 is more money.

Now of course no agent would ever buy it, but then again, I never thought an agent would allow a deal to have guaranteed money that was only half guaranteed. So you never know with Tanny.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

If Revis does show up to play, he should be resoundly booed by Jet fans. His selfishness is beyond just settting himself up - he is being unreasonable, by any standard. Fuck him

7. ........

........ Trolls

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

Because that's what people do, like I said. The worst part for him is, I'm guessing he's only doing what he was told was in his best interest.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Welcome to the new NFL which definetly means "Not for long". I don't see this ending well for the Jets or Revis as any contract offer not taking a new CBA/Cap into consideration would be financial suicide for any team to do. It does appear though that Revis is thinking about Leon Washington and saying fck the jets, I'm getting all I can, while I can.

I had a feeling that the LW contract situation would come back to haunt us one day.

Lockout 2011..

9. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I don't trust anymore.

10. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

We should boo him when he starts to do what we want him to do. That's brilliant. You sir, are a credit to Wahoo's everywhere.

11. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Jets FO needs to get this done and move on to Mangold and Harris.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

The situation isn't that much different.

Hey I'm not signing that 6 year deal unless you pay me more up front, I'm holding out until you give me more money. Hey, it's year 4 and I'm only getting $1 million, I'm holding out again for more money up front.

Uh yea, you already got paid that extra money you held out for because of the 6 year deal. So you got your part of the deal but want to dismiss the part that made that money possible.

Sure he earned a big contract, but let's not pretend like he's 100% in the right here and let's not pretend like we can just trust him to uphold his end of a deal after he's been given his compensation.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Now you're just being ridiculous.

"He held out once before so clearly it's just as likely he'll do it again this season!"

Give me a fucking break. How about the fact that he would already have the injury guarantees that he asked for, which is why he turned down the previous offer in the first place.

#255 CatoTheElder, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  16. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm not being ridiculous at all. I explained quite clearly why the situations would be similar. Thanks for your nice strawman argument though, it's very difficult to see through. And for the record, he's now holding out for his second time - so it's not "once before" as the words you tried putting in my mouth indicated. You should have went with "He held out twice before so clearly it's just as likely he'll do it again this season!", it would have been a bit more accurate.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The Jet fans and media did this to Revis, Revis isn't doing this to himself. It sounds like I am defending Revis, but it's kind of farfetched to have thought he wasn't going to holdout (even if it's just for a short time period).

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Darrelle Revis Holdout Thread

Sean Gilbert who once held out an entire season is intimately involved with Revis deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/01/sean-gilbert-intimately-involved-in-darrelle-revis-holdout/?related=1

He'd be retarded to hold out all year but if it goes past the 10th he might as well it seems.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont blame him one bit. the jets front office doesnt give a flying fuck about any of these guys. they are nothing more than tools to tannenbaum.

people said this and that and the other about lw last year and what a jerk he was and then talked shit when he got hurt.... right after they fell all over themselves a year before. this is exactly what the jets and our fanbase deserves. bunch of fucking turncoat douchebags that we are.

you reap what you sow.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

As some were saying this is a business and a players body and talents are a finite product. They are not a sticky note, windows or Coke. Revis is not going to have royalties in perpetuity. I can kind of understand. That said:

I cannot get over the fact that his agent has been part and parcel to pretty much every negative contract dispute the Jets have had. This is his m.o. It sucks but there is a entire bucket load of culpability on Revis's management team. They have a history of bad faith negotiations.

Leon Washington situation is a load of crap because he was offered a very fair contract, turned it down and presto, his gamble turned into a bag of shit. That is on him and his agent.

So yeah if I was Revis, even though it is a load of crap, I would use that LW situation till I was blue in the face. Which is what he is doing.

Both sides are posturing and it is pretty fucking annoying. However, I am not going to take sides because they all could have and should have done a better job getting something worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.