Strategy for Selling Tickets: Stubhub, etc.?

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Digetydog, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

Although I am excited to finally be a season ticket holder, I cannot attend all the games this year. In particular, I know I cannot attend any of the night games, the thanksgiving game, and probably the Pats game (baby is due that week). A friend is using the Giants tickets and we are using the Redskins tickets so pre-season is not a problem.

Currently, I have my tickets on Stubhub with intentionally unreasonable prices. This has allowed me to see the current sales. I have also watched prices on the Ticketmaster site touted by the Jets. Now that the season is upon us, I have few questions.

1. It seems that the pricing on the Ticket Exchange is higher than that on Stubhub. Do people actually pay a premium over Stubhub to buy from them? Should I list my tickets on both sites?

2. When do people really start buying on Stubhub? I could sell my tickets right now to the Ravens & Pats as a slight profit. Since I expect they will have the most demand, I want to get them priced right.

3. I have a yellow parking pass. Should I include it in the price of the tickets or should I try selling it separately?

4. Thanksgiving Game: I grew up in Dallas and the Thanksgiving Game was always popular with Dallas fans. I went once as a kid and it was fun. What are your thoughts on the popularity of a night game at the New Meadowlands? (With the parents coming to visit, there is no way my wife will let me leave her alone with my mom and the baby!)

Thanks in advance.

Note: I am not a scapler and generally hoping to come close to breaking even (including pro-rata PSL cost) on the games I cannot attend. Ne

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Get your priorities straight. What's more important, a new baby or the Pats game? Tell your wife to make other arrangements.

3. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

hey old man check your pm's.........

4. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

can you send me a pm message, i am also interested in the best way in going about this?

5. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

Jets ticket exchange has less traffic than stub hub but you can do both. But if you do both watch your emails closely, last thing you want is for them to sell on both on same day while you are not around.

Price them at $100 more than the average ticket price and put the absolute lowest price you would take for them as your bottom price and do declining price

6. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Dude if you want to sell me the Cincinnati Thanksgiving Game I will buy them from you for face, or a tad over face. If your seats are in the LLEZ, which I think they are, it should be $265 for 2 tickets + the parking pass.. I'll give you $280.

7. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

Scalpers and sites like seatgeeks use Bollinger Bands to price my tickets

Bollinger bands consist of a center line and two price channels (bands) above and below it. The center line is an exponential moving average; the price channels are the standard deviations of the ticket being studied. The bands will expand and contract as the price action of a ticket becomes volatile (expansion) or becomes bound into a tight trading pattern. A ticket may trade for long periods in a trend, albeit with some volatility from time to time. To better see the trend, traders use the moving average to filter the price action. This way, traders can gather important information about how the market is trading. For example, after a sharp rise or fall in the trend, the market may consolidate, trading in a narrow fashion and criss-crossing above and below the moving average. To better monitor this behavior, traders use the price channels, which encompass the trading activity around the trend.

When tickets prices continually touch the upper Bollinger band, the prices are thought to be overbought; conversely, when they continually touch the lower band, prices are thought to be oversold, triggering a buy signal.

When using Bollinger bands, designate the upper and lower bands as price targets. If the price deflects off the lower band and crosses above the 20-day average (the middle line), the upper band comes to represent the upper price target. In a strong uptrend, prices usually fluctuate between the upper band and the 20-day moving average. When that happens, a crossing below the 20-day moving average warns of a trend reversal to the downside.

Lazy SOBs like me use declining price on stubhub.

8. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

Although I am a finance major, that made my head hurt.

You wouldn't happen to know why there are plenty of seats on Ticket Exchange in the 100's and 300's, but none in the 200's would you? From what I can tell, we cannot post our tickets there until we either get them in hand or they get uploaded by the Jets.

#8 Digetydog, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

One PSL guy offering another PSL guy less than face on the ticket price and parking and not willing to pay for any portion of the PSL paid. An omen of things to come?

This is priceless.

10. MurrellMartin

Maybe I worded it in a way that confused you...

2 tickets = $240 .. (they're $120 each x2 = $240)
    Parking pass = $25

= $265

I'm willing to give $15 over face value, actually.

Its Thanksgiving and TONS of Jets fans are bitching about the date of this game and how they can't attend. I don't think he would be getting a better offer on StubHub/TicketMaster.

11. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

don't know but tons of them on stubhub. All I know is Mezz Cub EW is already going below face when you count in the psl.

12. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

Best way is for you to send me the tickets and I sell them for you. Then on opening day I will pay you. Just stand by big number 50 by main entrance at 6:30pm and keep yelling, rowonejetfan, come out come out whereever your are.

13. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

As I have posted in other places, anyone buying PSL's for "profit" is an idiot. Any profit, if any, will come from playoff tickets and/or winning the super bowl lottery. The more spent on PSL's and FV of tickets, the more risk you have.

We bought tickets and the PSL to go to the games. Unfortunately, we cannot go to certain games - namely Monday/Sunday Night Football Games - and Thankgiving night games.

When we bought our tickets, we chose Mezz A b/c of price. Had LLEZ been $4K instead of $5K, we would have bought seats there. With the change in prices, we are sitting (roughly) in the seats we liked for $1,500 less than we were willing to pay.

My Sales Results and/or easy sales.
    1. Pre-Season Games - we are going to one game (Redskins) and have sold one for FV. Small loss.
    3. Ravens Game - Expect to make a small profit after Stubhub Fees.
    4. Pats Game - Expect very small profit after Stubhub Fees. Maybe break even.
    5. Vikings Game - Break Even to Small Loss
    6. Other Sunday Day Games - Will go to most of them. If we can't go and have to sell a game, a small loss won't be the end of the world. Bills game is biggest risk this year.
    7. Thanksgiving is just an odd game. In Dallas, it is usually against a name opponent and in demand. Who knows how New York fans will feel about going? If I lived near the stadium, I would definitely want to go.

In future years, we expect to lose some money on preseason games. MNF and SNF will continue to be a problem; however, they are usually good games and our losses should be reasonable. The only way we think we will ever make money off the PSL is if the Jets make the Superbowl and we win the ticket lottery.

14. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

The thanksgiving game will be in demand, its a primetime game, all the college kids are back and they will see. The stadium will definetly sell out. Obviously the LLEZ is going to be more expensive then UD. We are paying for the privilege of better seats.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yea that. I'm a college kid, and it one of the few times I have a chance to attend a game this season so i'm probably going to go.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The Thanksgiving game will be the smallest crowd of the year, you will be able to buy tickets outside before the game like you would a pre-season game. Sorry, Jet fans are from Long Island can not travel to NJ with all the traffic, they will stay home for that one. I am going but I live 10 miles away and love getting out of cleaning up, just eat and go

17. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

not at all this is a primetime game on thanksgiving. the detroit lions sellout, the jets most certainly will. it will not even be close to the smallest crowd of the year. there will be like all games tickets available outside the stadium obviously

#17 Hennessy2710, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  18. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

After further review and the comments by poster, we have decided to hold onto our tickets until closer to the game. If the tickets can be big sellers in Dallas and Detroit, they can be big sellers in NY/NJ.

With a total exposure of $265.00 ($120*2) + PSL Cost, it's not like we are risking a huge amount of money. Why not see how demand plays out as the season progresses?

With no work on Friday for most office workers, I think back to my days as a single guy living on the UES. After Thanksgiving was over, it would have been really cool to hop a train to see live football.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I love how Jet fans that live on LI think all Jet fans live there.

Thousands and Thousands live in Jersey, NYC, and Orange and Rockland County.

The Thanksgiving day game will be packed, it's a night game so all eating and family shit can be done prior. I think that might be one of the most fun Jet games of the year.

20. MurrellMartin

Really? Do you look at he crowd on Thanksgiving at the Lions game? When they pan the stadium 1/2 the place is empty, if not more.