Don't count Wes Welker out of Jets/Pats week 2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyIommi, Jun 8, 2010.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

theres no way hes ready by week 1 or 2 ... this man is all about cuts and tore two ligaments in that knee

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Who cares if he plays week 2 or not.

Odds of him being able to burn a healthy Cromartie ? Im going with 0%

3. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Did you watch the video? He was running routes very well near full speed and cutting on the knee. I think he'll be good to go in 3 months.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Is he running in a straight line as well as Leon??

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Not saying he's going to determine the outcome singlehandedly, but it is something worth noting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291122017

Week 11, '09

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Even if he's only at 90% it'll all even out because he gives 110% all the time anyway.

7. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

lol, are we supposed to be afraid of Wes Welker or something. lol @ sojf

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Kyle wilson will be tested early.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

Lowery will never be able to cover welker. we should have cut him and kept strickland. lowery isnt good.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think Kyle Wilson has the athletic ability to keep him in check.

Receivers like that, a dink and dunk are impossible to completely stop but he can be contained.

I'm not comparing them because they're white, just because they're alike. Wayne and Wes are similar in that regard, great route runners with great YAC.

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lowrey for 16 games > Strickland for 8 games

How did the Jets let this guy slip from the fins to the Pats? God dammit. And then they draft Edelmann who's almost as good. Comon WoodCOCK - get your act together!

12. All Gas No Shake

nah i didnt watch, but i do remember meriman going through some off-season activities with torn ligaments a few years ago ... shit changed once the real games came around

but maybe hes like dejaun blair and doesnt need knee ligaments, who knows, i just dont think its possible. especially after he had to wait a month to have the surgery

13. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I just don't see Wilson being up to the task by week 2. Belichick would plan the whole game around Welker vs. Wilson, and probably take him to school.

I almost feel as though Revis/Welker Cro/Moss would be our best matchup. Moss has slowed a bit in recent years. At this point, I'd consider Welker (if 100%) a bigger threat than Moss.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I would use the same gameplan Manini used in the second Pats game 2 years ago, Revis shutting down Welker, and Ty Law jamming Moss all game with safety help over top. Now obviously it would be Cro and Pool with Cro at the jam... Hell I would love to see Cro and Wilson doubling up Moss on certain plays, hows that for a mindfuck Bellicheck?

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Ummm who exactly besides Moss are we worrying about? Cromartie on Welker, or better yet Cromartie on Moss and Revis on Welker.

16. All Gas No Shake

strickland couldnt, and has never been able to, stay healthy ... lowery struggles at times but he played pretty well last year. especially considering it was his second year in the league

17. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rex has balls, I wouldn't be surprised if he has Wilson on Welker in the slot the whole game. Revis would shut down Moss and Cro would cover Holt, test the rookie early. They are teaching this guy one thing primarily - the nickel corner position. He is going to play the screen-busting slot blanket hat Rex had envisioned for David Strickland before the injuries. I'm going to love to see this kid battle Welker early in the season.

For all of his faults, Mangini had Revis covering Moss a number of times in his first game in the NFL with hardly any training camp preparation and Brady was throwing away from Revis for most of the game. That impressed me immediately.

#38 abyzmul, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  19. WhiteShoeWillis

I see Lowery as slightly above Drew Coleman level and that's only because he's useful when he's in zone coverage. Rex plays mostly man coverage and so Lowery is mostly useless. I'd take 8 games of Strickland over 16 games of Lowery.

20. Pats4Ever

Pats4Ever New Member

I'm glad that the Jets have the Pats offense all figured out already....

Jets won't know what they have in their new pieces until they play a few games....Wilson and Cro are 2 new pieces that have to be on the same page.
    Assuming Moss will be shut down, especially in a contract year, is dangerous.

Patriots have 2 young TE's that are highly regarded. Also add Edelman and Tory Holt into the mix. Brady will find the open reciever, he's not a rookie QB.

Nobody knows what Tate and Price bring to the offense, but they were high picks so one must assume they will be pretty decent at some point. ( unless another Chad Jackson emerges):shit: