Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

worst case scenario: revis stays with the jets for 5 years, but a ridiculous price.
    best case scenario: revis stays with the jets, but for 10mil a year 5 years.

by the way fuck you al davis for this bullshit.

2. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Exactly. I heard them talking about this on mike and mike the other day. They throw out a huge number early in negotiations then work it down to a reasonable amount, so people say "wow we got him for a discount.".

Revis isn't going anywhere he alone lets Rex do what we were able to do last year on D.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Make him play out the rookie deal. Franchise him. Twice. You already own him for four years (plus any sit outs) no matter what he wants.
    and players have a shelf life.

Since you are voiding 2 years on his rookie deal, you make 2 deals.

You pay him 40 million SB, and he gets 2 new years, and you get six beyond that.

Six years * 20 Mil =120,000,000, but you are spreading it over 8.

Uncapped year, SB should be irrelevant, that leaves 8 years at 80 mil, (plus 5 apiece in SB Money)

Everyone goes home happy.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The best Ravens defenses succeeded by putting their best players in position to succeed. Kind of like Rex put Revis in during the 2009 season.

I heard the same thing and it made sense.

I don't think Revis is going to get anything near what his turdball agent is asking, and I'm not surprised that he is trying to negotiate through the media, after the same guy pulled the same crap with Kendall and Baker. He was my main concern when we drafted Revis.

He is taking his cue from the Scott Boras School Of Agentry. Float a completely ridiculous number for months, and when the Jets sign the guy for a Tanny-esque reasonable contract of, say, about 13-14mil per season, it looks like they got a bargain.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

See above. I got him at 15 per, for 8 years.

The nice thing about that is it's high now, will be close to average towards the middle of the deal, and reasonable at the end as long as
    no debilitating injury ruins his career. Though beyond the SB, you structure the latter half to be high in salary, low in guarantees.

6. Jonky

Jonky Banned

I'm curious about the corrolation between those posters complaining about PSL's/Parking fees and those that have no problems throwing $20 mil annually at Revis (plus whatever Mangold, Harris and DBrick ask for). My guess would be the same people that have no problem spending Woody's money are the same ones whining about how much they shell out. I'll go one step further; I bet few if any of them have ever run a successful business. NFL franchises are a business.

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Do these players or agents ever learn? When has playing hardball with Tanny EVER worked out in favor of the player? Revis is going nowhere for 3 years, or more. Years 5 and 6 of his contract are pretty sweet, it just so happens that year 4 seems low. If they work with Tanny, and Revis can duplicate what he did this year, he'll retire a VERY wealthy Jet.

Or he can blow out his knee and be watching football on his couch in 2011, unemployed. Or does he really want to join Leon in Seattle?

8. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

Atleast someone on here knows whats going on, sometimes i think you guys just need something to bitch about!

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

It's the offseason, we need something to talk about.

10. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

no, i hear ya man...its just the out rageous things people say like "just let him leave" and "he isn't worth the money" and things like that...he wont make 20mil a year, but like the other guy said your asking price is always higher then what you'll take...

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's the same small-minded group of fans that always gets personally offended during contract talks between a football team and a football player. They are the people that have to attach their personal worth to a franchise.

#171 abyzmul, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I think some of us are just disappointed that this got leaked to the press. He could start negotiations at 30mil per year for all I care, behind closed doors.

13. Abovetherim

Abovetherim New Member

The team wont be elitie in the future if Revis signs a contract like this. I dont think any athlete living right now is worth 20 million per year. If the Jets make the Super Bowl Revis is technically making 1 Million per game.

Will Revis be part of the immortal defensive players in NFL history? If he does what he did last year the answer is yes.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't care who gets paid how much, but if any of Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Edwards or Holmes leave then Tanny should go with them. :)

EDIT: Unless they turn to crap on the field or go to jail.

15. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Sorry, I love Revis, but if he can't clone himself and play the other CB, FS, and SS positions, then even if he shuts down every WR for the next 5 years we still can get burned in the passing game.

Only a QB is worth that kind of $$$.

16. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

[​IMG]

17. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I don't think starting your price out at 20 million is considered playing hardball. This is the first step of negotiations, Revis throws out a high number, Tannenbaum throws out a low number, and they find a middle ground somewhere in between. I don't think Revis will sign for 20 mill a year, unless Mike T. finds a way to circumvent some of it from the any future salary caps

18. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Leaking that your client may hold out of training camp if he doesn't get 20mil per is the definition of playing hardball.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Not happening. Jets gave up the rights to franchise him after his rookie deal. But in the process, Jets have the option to buy 2 more years out of him.

Basically, if we don't pay him what he wants, we'll lose him for nothing.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If Mike T gives him such a huge deal, it will include a lot of incentives. You can't just get paid $20mil a yr and be sitting on the bench injured. It has to include a lot of incentives such as playing time, ints, all-pro caliber seasons, playoff, super bowl etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.