Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Bahahahaha.

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

i acknowledged that he is great, but maybe you are giving him too much credit. how did rex do it without a revis on his team in the past? how did the 85 bears do it without anything close to a revis, or any two players earning todays equivalent to 20 million per year? i'm not bitching, i'm just saying before we give him 15-20% of our allotted money for players, we better be damn sure he can cover the rest of our troubles with personel before others are let go. we are close to a superbowl on defense, and not too far behind on offense......it would suck to not be able to win the big one soon. i hate to say it but the patriots would let him walk if he asked for that kind of money, and they consistently win even when great players walk.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

In Rex's defense good corners are equivalent to having an MVP Quarterback.

Above in conjunction with being the best in the league = Revis cashes out.

I'd say 16.5/yr loaded with incentives.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Damn, I was hoping that Revis didn't get greedy after that season. We can't afford to pay him $20, we'd have to lose a big player. Think about Mangold, Harris and D'Brick who will all get big contracts too.

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think Revis is a guy that we need to keep until he is 30. Not for 20 million a year, but he won't get that.

He is worthy of being the highest paid defensive player in history right now. He brings talent and work ethic and barring injury he can be as good a corner as the league has seen since Deion.

When you look at what he does, which is essentially take away half the field in the passing game and you look at the potential for our team to take away the rest of the passing game with Cro and Wilson, this seems like an important step toward building a championship team.

The only thing I think is sort of shitty about this is that if he is going after reputability salary-wise, it shows me he's not the sort of team first type guy that the Pats had when they won their championships with players who would take lower salaries to make room for more talent on the payroll.

6. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Did anyone consider that maybe this is just part of the negotiation process? The Jets lowball him, and he comes in with an very high number then they meet in the middle. This is how negotiations typically work. It is way to early to get worried and start talking about a trade.

8. 624

624 Banned

Turn off your computer!

9. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

those teams one because they had great pass rushers... we dont have that now which is why a shut down corner like revis is that much more important... pay the man... just not 20 mil... 16.5 sounds good to me... give him the satisfaction of the highest payed defender and lock him down for years to come

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

QBs don't get 20 mil a year.

I'll give him 16. Plenty more than Nnamdi.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Who the fuck is his agent? Alvin Keels? What the hell?

Nobody deserves 20mil a year... NOBODY! I'd be more comfortable with like 12-14, for a longer period; like 6-7 years.

12. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Revis and his agent really have no negotiation leverage. We own Revis outright for the next three seasons. Then he becomes a RFA.

If he were ever to become an RFA he would obviously get the highest tender possible. Further, we can franchise him. So Revis can want 20, 50, or 100M annually. What we choose to give him will be an entirely different matter.

Regardless, he will be a Jet for the next 3 seasons minimum unless he is traded for 2 #1s or something stupid like that. It is a good situation. Feel free to shine Tanny's ball sack for hanging tough and getting Revis for six years.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Who knows if this is even true. Wouldn't be the first time Lombardi was wrong about the Jets, right?

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is an interesting point (well, not the ball sack part, but the getting him for six years part). This is based on Cimini's blog from August 17, 2007, discussing Revis' original contract (http://www.thejetsblog.com/2007/08/17/details-out-on-darrelle-revis-contract/).

Obviously Revis' contract will void after this year; that's why he and his agent are talking about this now, even though he signed a supposed 6-year contract. If they don't sign a new extension before next season, the Jets will buy back years 5 and 6 for at most $20 million. They can then franchise him for around the same amount of money he'll be getting in year 6. Thus, the Jets are in perfect position here - they have him for 4 more years at around $40 million if they do nothing at all.

I really don't see how any teams are going to be able to sign more than 1 or 2 of their best players until they know what the CBA is going to look like, so these demands strike me as meaningless posturing for the moment. Since the Jets are much more "on the clock" with other potential free agents like Mangold and Harris, I'd be very surprised if the Jets move on this anytime soon.

15. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I say between $14-$15 million should be the most and if he won't do it for that we have two other CBs on this team which we can move forward with and be just fine.

Revis would go from hero to zero with every Jets fan if he holds out to get any where near $20 million.

Make him finish out his rookie contract and let him hope nothing bad happens in 2011, the last year of the deal.

16. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

who knows if this is true.

but if it is, he can GTFO and we'll all hate him. Provided there is a cap, he'd fuckin cripple this time with his greed. lets how he feels to get paid an overinflated contract and go play with a bunch of losers on a crappy team

Revis making more than peyton manning, tom brady, or drew brees? GTFO 2x.

As important as he is, not worth aborting this entire team for that. a corner back is only 1 position on a team, in which there are multiple other players with the same position. There is only 1 QB, which is incredibly instrumental in every phase of the offense.

If revis decides to be a super douche, which is going to be hard as a few have stated due to the buy back option, his lose can be offset by having 2 pretty good corners and beefing up the pass rush. If you have better pash rushers at the OLB position(think james harrison), you don't need to throw your corners on an island everytime while rushing 5-6 to generate pressure.

losing revis would not be the end of the world.

In the end, i think this is merely posturing (again, if this even true), and we'll 99% chance keep Revis. That's how these things always go. lowball offer, outrageous demand...meet somewhere in the middle.

al davis contracts should never be used as the barometer for anything. he offers players crazy money to offset the fact that Oakland is where decent players go to fade into oblivion. Give him Namdi money(but not more) and call it a day

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Don't hate Revis for starting off with numbers Al Davis basically gave Nnamdi Asomugha in the final year of his deal.

18. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen Member

you guys need to stop arguing over how valuable revis is to the team or whatnot. thats not really worth discussing because we all know it.

but whats worth asking is, if the Jets offer anything less, will he feel insulted and holdout to oblivion?

his holdout could affect kyle wilson, yeah he'd get more reps, but hed lose mentorship

19. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

honestly, I love revis with all my heart, but no single player is worth that money, a shame...

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He's not going to hold out.

He has two more years on his contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.