Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franzman9

franzman9 Member

I honestly believe we should trade him away for two first round picks if he wants 20 mil plus each year.

That number is rediculous and if we sign him for that much we will never be able to sign Mangold, harris, holmes or edwards. Screw it, lets cut our ties and get as much for him as we can.

2. RMorin

RMorin Member

I first want to say that this is absolutely a negotiating tactic. He will not get anywhere near that contract.

With that being said, 20+ a season is just too much for any non-QB. Take yourself out of being a Jet fan for a second. Darelle Revis is one of the top two CBs in the league. He is one of the top 5 defensive players in the league. The Jets would definitely be worse without him. However his presence alone probably only contributes an additional 1, maybe 2 victories per season. We have a great defense all the way around, it is not just Revis out there. Take Revis out and replace him with another CB and our passing defense gets hurt, but we still have a top 8 defense in the league. Contrast this, try to imagine what would happen if you were take Peyton Manning out and put Curtis Painter in? Oh wait ...
    You simply can't use 1/7 of your salary cap on one defensive player.

Which brings me to my next point. For everyone saying "There is no salary cap" that is only for this year and there will absolutely be one in future years. The only people in the media saying it will not come back are the players union, because that is in their vested interest to say so.
    This is very important: the NFL owners, not the players union, voted to terminate the current CBA three years early. Do you think that the owners would have voted for something that is going to cost them more money?
    The impetuous to a new CBA is creating higher salary caps (wanted by the player unions), setting league minimum in spendings for teams (wanted by the players union), and creating caps on rookie contracts (wanted by owners, with a surprising number of players on board as well). The issue is not whether there will be a salary cap, instead how it will look. To this end saying "pay him XX a season no matter what" is ridiculous. This is going to be a long contract with a lot of guaranteed money, and no one player (non-top 3 QB) is worth that large of a chunk of the salary cap.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Revis is only 1 maybe 2 wins a year ?

Without Revis the jets dont even have a shot at being a playoff contender let alone a shot at the superbowl.

Seriously look at our defense. We have 1 safety who is a massive risk and his talent is unsure of. We have another safety who has a great heart but lacks physical tools. Our OLBs are mediocre at best. And our defensive line is sufficient at best.

The only strengths of our defense are our ILBs which are excellent, then our cornerbacks. You take Revis out of the picture and our defense completely falls apart.

Suddenly well struggle with man coverages, wideouts will have an easier time getting open, and our blitz packages become pretty much useless

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I disagree with everything you said. The scheme is the strength of our defense, it generates pressure and puts players in spots that play to their strengths. Revis is obviously a beast and makes us better, but to say we wouldn't even be a playoff contender without him? Ridiculous. :drunk: RR has coordinated defenses with less talent than ours to top 5 rankings because the scheme is proven.

As for the contract situatuon, 20 million is a fuckload of money for one guy. I see a nasty negotiation process looming.

#84 Jake, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

The scheme working relies COMPLETELY on our corners. You dont have someone who can cover the other teams #1 target and the scheme is meaningless.

With Cromartie being a massive ? and Wilson being a rookie there is no reason to believe that we would be a playoffs contender with them holding things down.

I dont think Revis is worth 20 million dollars a year by a long shot, but I do think without a top 10 corner our defense would struggle mightily.

The Ravens dont have corners but have far better pass rushers/defensive line than us that helps their scheme. Without revis we wouldnt have either.

#85 dcm1602, May 16, 2010
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Revis should have a look at what happened to Leon Washington before making such outrageous demands.

Hopefully Wilson and Cromartie step up.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed. Having Revis makes our defense very effective. However, RR has coordinated defenses using Fabian Washington, Samari Rolle and other scrubs to top 5 rankings in the NFL. The pressure helps the CBs out just like the CBs help the pressure out. It's a perfect storm.

8. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I want revis to be a jet for life. I want revis to get his money too. 20 million+ is unreasonable though. I think he'll wind up making 14 million a season with a huge guarantee this year similar to the Kolb deal.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yeah but when he had scrubs he also had the best MLB in football, a top 3 defensive line, nasty olbs pass rushing and then they also had a top 2 safety in Ed Reed back there. . Who do we have on our team that even comes close to Suggs ? Ngata ? Pryce (in his prime)? The Ravens defensive line was fricken beastly.

So yeah they didnt have the corners but they have everything else. All we got without our corners are ILBs, and thats not a game changer vs the pass.

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Tanny will work something out, and it won't average to be more than 20mil a season.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You just said the scheme relies COMPLETELY on CBs.

We have an outstanding LB corps. Jenkins and Ellis are just as good as Ngata and Pryce..... We have the talent all over this defense. We lack a pure passrusher, but the scheme is built to generate pressure.

We'll have to agree to disagree

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

So because it is "fucking football" it is ok that the price of attending an event numbers in the hundreds of dollars to go?

13. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

I'm hoping Kyle Wilson really steps up.

Honestly though, Revis is the only guy in the NFL who can shut down whoever he faces completely. He can set his own price. He's one-of-a-kind right now.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd say Asomugha is on his level. Aso gave up something like 150 total yards in 2008.

And I think that Revis should get a contract similar to Aso's.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

With the only difference that Aso's only reason to stay in Oakland is money...

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I love big jenks and Ellis but they arent no Pryce and Ngata. The Ravens defensive line was responsible for one of the greatest run defenses in the history of the nfl.

And cmon you wanna compare Pace to Suggs ? Leonhard to Reed ?

Im not bashing our defense, but OUR defense gets its strength from its corners. The Ravens gets theirs elsewhere.

17. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

jackbower hit it spot on. The first rule in negotiating is to always ask for more than you actually want - that way there is room to go down to what you really want. I can guarantee you Revis won't be signing a contract for $20 million per year - anywhere.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Where did I compare Pace to Suggs? I said we lack a pure passrusher.

When healthy, Jenkins is arguably the most dominant NT in the NFL. I absolutely think he is equal to Ngata, if not better. If he recovers from the ACL, he is an All-Pro.

Pryce and Ellis are spinning images of each other. Aging DEs who have played in the 34 and 43, solid vs run and decent but not game changing passrushing. Both have had 11 sacks in the past two seasons.

I never compared Reed and Leonhard. And I'd take our ILBs over Baltimore's ILBs. Also, if Wilson and Cromartie were our starting CBs I'd still take them over Foxworth/Carr. I think our defense is absolutely loaded with talent and we'd be fine, yes FINE, without Revis.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying we should let Revis walk. I think it's stupid to say we'd miss the playoffs without Revis, though.

#98 Jake, May 16, 2010
  19. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

I would be embarrassed if I were Revis... He was always so humble, I just hope he doesn't turn out to be just another stuck up prick like 95% of the other monsters the media creates... What the fuck could someone possibly do with 20 millions dollars... let alone $20 million a year.

20. nastynice

nastynice New Member

yea, but who's gonna give up TWO first rounders so they can pay a cb 20 mill a year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.