Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Per Rotoworld:

"Darrelle Revis is seeking an average annual salary that exceeds $20 million per year, according to Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.
    In other words, Revis wants to be one of the highest paid players in NFL history, quarterbacks included. The Raiders signed Nnamdi Asomugha to a record three-year, $45.3 million deal last offseason and Revis wants to blow that out of the water. As Lombardi says, "this will not be an easy contract to get done, especially anytime soon."

If he wants even a penny more than 15 mill per season (even though I think 14 is more reasonable) he can get the fuck out of here.
    Come to think about it we still have him on the team for this year and next... AFTER that he can get the fuck out of here.

Don't get me wrong, I love Revis Christ but NO ONE is worth that kind of money... maybe only an elite QB (but I mean extremely elite... like P. Manning).

Article:

1. The Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are set to begin contract talks, and the word I’m hearing is that Revis and his agent, Neil Schwartz, are looking for an average that exceeds $20 million per year — which will make the contract rather hard to do. Schwartz and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum don’t have the smoothest of relationships (that’s putting it mildly) as evidenced by the negotiation over Revis’ rookie contract. This will not be an easy contract to get done, especially anytime soon.

The Jets have several players waiting on new deals, from center Nick Mangold to offensive tackle D’Brickawshaw Ferguson. It will be a huge challenge for the Jets to get deals done for all their players, and don’t forget that quarterback Mark Sanchez signed a five-year deal last year. If he plays well, they’ll have to deal with a new deal for him in the next two years.

Winning makes doing contracts tougher.

2. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

posted this in the other thread.....20 + absolutely ridiculous

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That seems too high...wow.

4. GreenMachine

Pay the man. The best deserve it.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I can't believe people are bitching about this...

Darrelle Revis is the best defensive player in the league. He'll get a HUGE contract.

The salary cap in the NFL is probably gone.

The Jets need to pay him what he wants. I hope this guy is a Jet for his entire career. He's one of the hardest working players in this league and his performance last season showed that.

6. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Just show him the money

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that's pretty steep.....but the man has earned it....he's shut down everything he faced last year.

8. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

If we give him $20M+ a year we are going to lose at least oen VERY GOOD player. I can't believe his asking price.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I cant believe people on here think he deserves it.

ONE dominant year, and he deserves the biggest contract in the history of the NFL ?

Nobody EVER has come even remotely close to that shit

10. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

6 years 102 mil is the highest and most reasonale I'd do for Revis. 20 mil plus is fuckin insanity and I just see him being that kind of a person to just do that to the Jets. Don't get me wrong he's a Top 10 NFL player but that number is beyond reasonable.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

In the beginning players and agents always say that want numbers that are way too much. I am NOT saying Revis isn't worth 20 mil a year, but it's natural for the player to give a high ball offer in the beginning and negotiate from there.

If he was saying he only wanted 15 mil. he would probably end up with less in the end. It's the nature of negotiation.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Revis is as important to the Defense....as Sanchez is to the offense.

Nobody knows what the new salary cap is going to be....but if there isn't one...20 million a year is CHUMP CHANGE for Woody Johnson.

13. GreenMachine

Wait..Don't pay revis, so you babies can cry about how cheap Woody is...

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I don't care how many millions this guys may have.... 20 million annually is shot load of money to anybody. I think if he does sign with the Jets, we get a small "hometown" discount for 16.5-18 mil a year.

I will agree that Revis is as vital to our D as Sanchez (or any QB) is to our O. He makes our defensive scheme possible.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1. I don't think ANYONE is worth 20 mill in the current NFL.

2. Certainly not a CB or any other position except QB. Sure, he's the best at his position but it's not that 1 player on D can shut down an entire offense by himself.

Revis can make the #1 WR useless but what about the other guys, what about rushing the passer, what about the run game? If you give 20 mill to 1 guy I don't think the rest of the D can hold up (because we won't have the money to have anyone talented enough).

We've seen it last years vs the Colts... even if Revis takes a great WR out of the game there many other ways to score points.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'd say hold off on the extension and if he has another year like he did last year give him ownership in the fucking team. He had one of the best seasons ever by CB so it'll be hard to top but if it's even close he deserves everything he asks for.

What he provides us in terms of being able to blitz and shut down another team's top WR makes our D the best in the league. W/O I'd say we're in the top 10 but nowhere near the best team on that side of the ball.

17. JetsFanChicago

JetsFanChicago New Member

not a chance in hell he gets 20mil

18. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

What happens if the new salary cap is close to last years and now because Revis is making Brady/Manning money along with another QB salary with Sanchez, we lose 1-2 core players or very good/important players? We can't go back to Revis and say "hey buddy by the way I think $20M+ is too much for your position, if winning is more important you will lower your cap number." Revis won't do it. This is going to be a very TOUGH decision. Hate to say it but we definitely have to play hard ball and not give in to $20M+ for a CB.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I would like to see Revis drop his salary expectations too...because we do have other players who require new contracts.

But our Defense goes...with how Revis goes.

20 million is excessive....but i still say "pay" the man.....Revis is pretty vital, and there isn't another CB in this league that can do what he does.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

yeah...i guess we COULD penny pinch...and tell Revis to go fuck his salary demands. :rolleyes:

Hey, MAYBE....Hank Poteat is available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.