Rex really high on OLB - Corey Reamer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, May 2, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Hey... making it to TC is the first step for these guys! Good for him and potentially for us... But remember there are about 80 guys at TC!

2. franzman9

franzman9 Member

signed a 3 year deal

Jets | Cory Reamer signed
    Comment (0)
    Sun, 02 May 2010 18:39:51 -0400

The New York Jets have signed undrafted rookie free-agent LB Cory Reamer (Alabama) to a three-year contract, KFFL has learned. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl#ixzz0mq0INDXy

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Looks like we just found Larry Izzo's replacement.

Lance Laury, Cory Reamer, Jamaal Westerman, and John Conner will be busting heads next season.

4. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

And remember-since they banned the wedge on kick returns, getting individual one-on-one blocking assignments is going to be key. That's where a Conner can excel on one end, and Reamer on the other. And by the way, I believe Maualuga ran about a 4.91 as well.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Conner is also a tackling machine on special teams.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Wow, he really must have made quite an impact. Players with heart....the combine just doesn't measure that.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That contract isn't guaranteed. He got himself into training camp but he still has a long way to go to make the roster.

From everything that is out there about him, it looks like he's ready for the challenge.

8. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'm so happy for Mike Westhoff. He's gonna kill it this year.

9. gustoonarmy

Hope so, STs didn't look that good at all last year.
    Most disappointing for me were the lacklustre punt returns. Please, no more safe catches with open field ahead :mad:

10. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

The lackluster punt returns didn't bother me at all.

The kick coverage did. That Miami game was a disgrace. I hope Westy really challenges his group this year: no returns past the fifty the entire season.

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

We've got to take it down a notch on this kid. Nice enough pick-up for special teams fodder, maybe he turns into another Izzo, but again, we're talking about a linebacker who weighed in at 231 pounds at his pro day and ran somewhere close to 5.0 seconds according to some reports (I'm not sure where he ran as fast at 4.91 although I saw that Listed).

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's not going to be playing defense. If he makes the team, he'll be a special teamer.

Lance Laury weighs 237 pounds and he was one of the better special teamers in the league last season. Coy Wire is 228 pounds and he's been oen of the best special teamers in the league for quite some time.

Reamer or Satele don't have to have prototypical 3-4 linebacker size to play special teams.

13. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Electric -- I agree with pretty much everything you said; at least in the near future Reamer's big chance is at special teams. But the fact that other ST LBs are as light as Reamer doesn't overcome the fact that he's apparently very, very slow. A ST guy like Coy Wire was a lot faster than a Reamer (I think Wire ran a 4.72 at the combine, had great shuttle runs, and was even faster at his pro day, etc.) It's dandy that Ryan is saying this terrific stuff about Reamer, but I'm just going to be very skeptical about any late round pick-ups or rookie free agents until I've seen them do something in an actual game. (This applies to players like Slauson, Warren, and John Conner as well).

14. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

There's a giant difference between combine speed and game speed. At the combine, you're not wearing full pads, you're not trying to run over and run around blockers, and there's not a 200-pound guy running at you at the end. I don't buy into the combine too much, especially as it relates to special teams. For cornerbacks? Sure. Wide Receivers, even? Edge rushers? Fine. But there's more to special teams than pure speed.

15. gustoonarmy

He won't be a gunner, but sometimes its better to have guys that aren't as quick but have great vision, Izzo is a prime example of that. Over-pursuit of a PR/KR can quickly lead to 6 points as we found out.
    The quickness in the way the CS went after Reamer tells me that they were looking at him for a while, same as the other picks past and present that you've mentioned.
    Over the last few years we've had very few duds, so I'm confident in what it is they see in Reamer.

16. franzman9

franzman9 Member

Brandon Spikes ran a 5.0 fourty and he was taking in the second round....thoughts?

17. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Of course that's all true. 40 times are at best a proxy for game speed, it's not a track meet, etc., etc. But you do need to get downfield in a hurry and most players who contribute in the kicking game are a lot faster than that, so I'd wait and see rather than assume he's a special teams monster in the making.

EDIT: On the Brandon Spikes point, Spikes is about 20 pounds heavier, certainly has the size to play ILB in the NFL, was a complete and total monster in college (two time first team All-American, three time all-sec), had 307 tackles and 39 starts (compared with Reamer's 40 and 11). He may very well have been an overdraft at that point of the draft but at least he has insane production at what was probably be the best college football program in the country during his four years there.

#37 ManlyGenius, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  18. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this kid at all during training camp? Rex hasn't said a word about him which surprises me since he was so high on him in mini-camps. I thought maybe he got cut and I missed it but I think he's still here.

Any sightings?

19. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

He's still on the team, but doesn't look like he's even a practice squad guy at this point.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm confused..what was this supposed to mean?

"“He’s going to replace [defensive coordinator Mike] Pettine and there’s no question we can do that,” Ryan said. “I believe that with this young man.”"

Was that just the writer not getting something right here? The whole first few lines made no sense. I thought they were talking about a coach and then it morphed into talking about a player.