Jets spoke with Laveranues Coles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JfaulkNYJ, May 1, 2010.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yeah cut the 24 year old guy for the 32 year old guy (33 this season) with concussion problems.

Odds are next year if or when we lose either Holmes/Edwards Clowney is going to be competing for that #3 WR roster spot with a rookie.

Im not against bringing in Coles, but its really gonna depend on who we cut from the bottom of the depth chart. Brad Smith ? Clowney ? Just sounds like cutting a young guy to bring in an old injury riddled one to me.

We were fine last year with just Cotch/Keller/Edwards I dont see why we cant go 4 fricken weeks with just them, especially since now we have 2 backs who can catch (vs 0 last year) or even 3 if you add in Connor.

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

we need home field advantage in the playoffs. the 4 weeks is huge.

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Not to mention we play everyone in our division in those first 4 weeks.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You act like Clowney is irreplaceable. We can find someone as good if not better than him without too much trouble.

Coles is a clear upgrade over Clowney or Smith at WR and it would be a smart football decision to bring him in IMO.

5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I could be off by a year here, but didn't Coles have his last 2 years of his contract with the Jets guaranteed (2009 and 2010 for $13 million). I know we made an agreement with him so we wouldn't have to pay him, now it looks like Coles made a bad move.

If the last 2 years of Coles' contract were 2008 and 2009, disregard this post

6. Drew

Drew Active Member

I'm all for this. Will help while Santonio is gone, and when he's back, christ.. you have 4 great receivers out there. This is a no-brainer.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I would like the Jets to bring Coles back. He was always reliable on the field. The concussions are a concern but I think he can be a valuable no. 3 until Holmes gets back

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He had worse hands than Edwards last season and 13 drops in 2008. He doesn't have the hands anymore.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I just think looking at the big picture that id rather have a healthy young guy instead of an old injury riddled one.

People are going oh noes Holmes isnt playing how we can we win. We beat the Pats last year without Braylon, without Holmes, with a QB in the 2nd game of his career and a defense that had far more holes in it than it currently does. We were 30 minutes from the superbowl and that was with having Clowney as our #3 guy.

We are fine we dont need a 3rd WR to win. We are a ground and pound team, gonna run the ball first and run it some more.

Not to mention the Fins and Bills are garbage. If we cant beat them with 2 WRs then we dont deserve to make the playoffs let alone get to the Superbowl.

And oh just for the hell of it we went the first 4 weeks with having Cotchery as our only WR last year. This year well hafta make it 4 weeks without having a stud as our #3, well be fine.

And I doubt Coles is gonna be interested in taking a role where hes almost guaranteed to never see the field after week 4 except for hail marys. Which also means hed be paid accordingly, aka shit.

10. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Laverneous is washed up... move on, nothing to see here...

11. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Awesome.

Paging Dr. Filler.

12. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Clowney has done nothing but win over the fans. I need results in regular season when it counts. We can easily find someone in the late rounds to replace clowney

13. CatoTheElder

We could probably find someone in this rookie mini-camp to replace Clowney.

14. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

i'd welcome LC back with open arms.

15. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Coles is done, injuries and age has finally caught up with him.

We have some receivers in the wings that will get a shot. I want to see what Aundre Allison and Marcus Henry will do in campm along with the Clown. This is year #3 so time for them to step up.

I also think McKnight was drafted to fill in as a slot receiver early on.

16. CatoTheElder

McKnight might not be ready for the start of the season. It seems like he's going the same route as Leon and Greene.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

What makes you say that? I think McKnight should be good to go (limited role and played in a pro style offense in college)

18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

better then the clown. i'd rather have him drop passes than never get thrown to.

19. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

2nd. agreed. I think he still has some left in the tank, but we also have some other guys that need a shot too. Coles was here, left us for big $$$, came back again, and left again. Enough.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

As a #3 I was iffy on Coles, as a #4 it's a no brainer imo