Slauson or Ducasse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by the99, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Who?

1. Vlad Ducasse

94 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Matt Slauson

85 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. I like beer

63 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know, maybe it was when he was subbing for Mangold and pushed the D-Line backwards ;)

2. vinny57

vinny57 New Member

Turner

I'm wondering why no one is mentioning Turner to compete for the starting guard spot?

3. Ten

Ten Active Member

The ideal scenario is that Matt Slauson wins and becomes a good starter,allowing for Ducasse to become the future right tackle.

#23 Ten, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

this.

tanny/rex knew last year the fanny was on his way out, and they've been working on his replacement ever since.

Slauson has had a full year of training and work, most certainly geared towards fanny's position.

Vlad, on the other hand, is just a wide-eyed kid hoping to run someone over.

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Yep, sign me up for this.

However, I doubt it will happen. If Slauson had the potential to be a long-term starter, there would never have been a need to draft Ducasse.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Yes there would, to be the next Right Tackle. Like the poster you quoted said, they took Slauson to replace Faneca after a year, and now they took Big Dook to take over for Woody in 2011.

7. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

So why is there any question as to who starts at LG? If Slauson had the look of a starter, why not just name him the starter and give Vlad a year (which he probably needs) to sit and learn behind Woody?

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Exactly! The only thing I know is that in 2011 I want Slauson at LG and Ducasse at RT.

That said I wouldn't be opposed to Ducasse playing this year at LG and moving next year to RT... will a year playing at guard help him become more comfortable with NFL speed?
    I think the best option is if Slauson starts this year at LG and Ducasse plays as the 6th OL in jumbo packages...

Personally if Callahan recruited Slauson and then pushed Tanny to get him in the draft he has my vote of confidence...

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

yup, this.

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Don't think that ever happened man.

11. Green Hurricane

I honestly don't feel like it'll be that much of a battle. Provided that Slauson has shown ability to play then he'll be the man no matter how good Ducasse may look. Every other pick in this draft had an eye on replacing a key player in 2011, KDub for Cromartie, McKnight for LDT, and Conner for TRich, so I can't imagine that the most raw prospect selected would be the one taken to start immediately.

12. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Why do we not give enough credit to the guys playing on our OLine already?

Moore and Woody have been 1st class players and locker room citizens. I am against jettisoning them. Yes youth is good. My 27 y.o self could easily out think my 36 y.o. self when it came to solving a problem. But my 36 y.o. self has the answer already because of the experience. Let the younger guys play as depth for the OLine while learning until the team is in a position to draft additional depth.

Too much emphasis on youth and not enough on experience makes for an Adrian Clarke moment...

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Without having seen Ducasse play one down yet, I cannot answer the question.

14. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

This.

(filibuster)

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think McKnight replaces Leon... LdT is more of a complete player as he can run inbetween the tackles too...

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

It would be Sssssslaunson or Ducasse-

And it's whoever wins in camp, just like every other position.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Ducasse will be given a shot to compete for the job, but he's raw and the Jets run a zone blocking hybrid now - that's not something that a wet-behind-the-ears small school prospect is going to be able to just jump into and execute out of the gate. Hell, it took the Jets' seasoned O-line over a most to iron the wrinkles out of that scheme.

I think Slauson will be named starter for week 1.

18. Green Hurricane

Initially he'll be taking over Leon's role, but I think the end game for the Jets is to have a two back system with Greene and McKnight, with Conner working as the FB and a short yardage type.

McKnight isn't the type of back that is limited to catching passes and running outside, that's just what he was most successful at when he was at USC. He's got size and a frame to add some weight without losing much in terms of his ridiculous athleticism. I think he can absolutely be an effective inside runner in time if he gets bigger/stronger because he can get to top speed in a step or two and hit the holes fast. Plus, I like his vision to cut back in the hole and try for big plays, but they have to coach him that it won't work as much in the NFL.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

If McKnight can develop into the number two back, that would be huge.

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Whoever wins the job. Ducasse's future is at RT, but lots of tackles started their career on the inside.