Anyone worried about team chemistry?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Apr 26, 2010.

1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I was alright with the release of Thomas Jones because I felt that LT could do better behind our O-line. Leon got greedy and we weren't able to lock him up long term so I understand why we traded him. The only offseason move I disapprove of is releasing Faneca.

These three players were not only leaders on the team, but well liked in the locker room. The team chemistry last year was great, and one anonymous Jets player said that most teams wish they had one the Jets had. That same player said he was worried for this coming year, as we seem to be hiring "one-year mercenaries."

I admit, Faneca is terrible at pass blocking, but we are a run-first team and he's great at run blocking. Plus, we don't have someone who can step in and perform better pass-blocking than him. I don't understand why we tried to save money from Faneca in an uncapped year and in a year when we've made so many moves people are labeling it Super Bowl or bust. We are messing with an o-line that has 35 straight starts and was #1 in run blocking.

Anyone else worried about team chemistry this year? Also, Faneca's agent said he wasn't offered to take a pay cut to stay with the team, which I think is a scumbag move by the Jets Front Office. Curious about what your opinions are on this. Thanks.

Oh and sorry for the long post guys.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?id=5133084

#1 JETS1116, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm worried about team geometry.

3. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I'm worried about team biology.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The Faneca issue has been discussed over and over in the Faneca threads.

I am not too worried about team chemistry, I think the team will be fine. Eventually, guys like Mangold, Brick, Sanchez, Edwards, Harris, Revis, those guys have to start assuming a leadership role.

5. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I think Ducasse and Wilson will fill in well for the guys that are gone. Wilson brings that healthy swagger to the team and Ducasse seems like a real easy going dude.

6. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

if we win it doesnt matter.

7. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Breaking it down by unit. Sanchez needs to take control of the weapons at his disposal and make it clear that he decides where the ball's gonna go. LT is the eldest of the running backs and he should act as a mentor for them. Faneca was weak and Mangold (a team captain, right?) should be the one and only leader of that offensive line.

On defense, we didn't lose any leadership. As long as Scott is around we should be good to go there as he acts as Rex's voice on the field. Jenkins, Leonhard, and Revis are a few other good character guys who should help out with the chemistry as well.

8. Sanchez All Day

Sanchez All Day New Member

I am definitely a little worried about team chemistry

But fuck it we can't do anything about it lol

9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think Sanchez can become a speak up guy this year, and if he plays well it will carry some weight. It is too bad that we have lost Faneca and TJ's leadership as they were both guys that take respect with them anywhere they go.

We have brought in a couple guys on offense who have reputations that are worth worrying about and right now I am not sure I see an offensive starter who we know is outspoken. I know Woody, Mangold and Brick are mature guys with good heads and they will help the O-line gel. Cotchery is a family man and should provide some maturity among the WRs and Braylon seemed to take a pretty positive role last season (but does this only happen when Braylon is happy?) I am not so much concerned with personalities as I am with the collective mindset of the team. If everyone commits themselves form the get-go, I don't see chemistry being a problem because despite differences, everyone wants the same thing.

On D the only questionable guy is Cromartie and by all accounts his issue is his libido, not his quality as a teammate. I think the D will be just plain better all around....

10. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen New Member

the loss of TJ and Faneca definitely will have an impact on the locker room there is no question about that. we really have to just wait and see about this.

oh yeah, feely too

11. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

Good post, I was worried about the same thing when all the moves went down. The locker room was described as "like a funeral" today by Damien Woody. I realize ultimately its a business and winning cures all, but I still think giving a long-term extension in the next few weeks to one of our homegrown guys (Mangold,Brick,Harris) would go a long way to restoring the players faith in our FO. The Patriots make these harsh cuts all the time, but at least the players had bought in to the program by then and they had a recent SB to back it up.

12. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Remember that scene in the great football movie "Necessary Roughness" where in order to toughen up the TSU Armadillos, the coaches set up a practice game against inmates from the Texas State Penetentiary?

I want the Jets to be the inmates...

[​IMG]

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People leave, others step up

Revis, Mangold, Harris, Scott, Sanchez, Jenkins are all capable leaders in the locker room, and I personally think Sanchez and Revis will have huge impacts when it comes to team chemistry, the more I think about it the more i'm not as worried

But winning cures all ailments

14. Abovetherim

Abovetherim New Member

First off everyone is over analyzing the Alan Faneca situation.

Yes the players who have been brought in this off-season have had problems in the lockeroom/past ex: Cromartie, Holmes, Taylor. It is safe to think that these pickups all know that the Jets are the team that have the best chance to win a Lombardi Trophy this season.

Guys like Jason Taylor, LT are veterans who realize that this might be there only shot at winning the Super Bowl. I think the lockeroom is one of the topics we should least worry about. I think all the new guys picked up are serious about being with the organization and its goals. This is New York we are talking about, a City where if you say something the wrong way you are pointed at as if you are a bad guy.

#14 Abovetherim, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  15. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

You do make a good point abovethe rim. I think its more the Leon trade that bothers me than the Faneca release. Leon was a mid-round pick, came in and worked and played his ass off, and was well liked and respected by everyone. I feel bad he never got his payday over the guy who spent his best years with the Steelers and got a HUGE payday to be a 2 year rental.

16. skipper

skipper Member

There is turnover on every pro team every year. Some losers go, some leaders go. If the team wins, the problems don't show. If they lose the problems show. On the other hand if the team loses, problems would pop up wether the leaders left or not. We have good guys that will step up. We had leaders on the team before TJ and Faneca signed up and we'll have leaders after they leave. This is just a tempest in a teapot noted by media types that need something to write about.

17. Abovetherim

Abovetherim New Member

I feel that we will get a good idea on who the Jets leaders really are when HBO covers them on Hard-Knocks. To my knowledge none of us have ever stepped foot inside a full Jets Lockeroom before/after a game. I am sure there are leaders in the lockeroom that we have no idea about or never thought of.

18. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I completely understand why their is concern. I think most of the guys on the team are mature enough to understand whats going on. As long as we win it probably wont matter

Also when a lot of these guys get big pay day's their wont be any of this concern

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

fyp.......................

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

What I am really worried about is team meteorology.