I think Gholston will be a servicable DE this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mystikol

mystikol New Member

This post is a win :rofl:

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

DEs aren't a glory position in Rex's defense but they do require football sense and yeah he doesn't have that

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I expect to see improvement from Gholston at DE. Perhaps even him saving his job.

People will boo him for at least half the season because he won't play much, and won't seem to make an impact when he does. However, I expect we'll see him in obvious passing downs early in the year while he learns his role. He'll be terrible at run coverage, since he can't adjust.

He'll do good in pass-protection though. Even early. The thing is, he won't get sacks, which is what everyone will be expecting and complaining he isn't doing. What he'll be doing though is the same thing he did last year when moved up to the line. Bull-rush straight ahead, and push overmatched OLinemen backward, collapsing the pocket, and letting the LBs do the work to get to the QB.

I don't expect Gholston to get a sack until the second half of the year. However, by that point, I'm predicting he'll be demanding double-teams, which will open space for whoever is behind him to come flying through without a touch.

The guy is strong. He just doesn't have football moves or a good enough knowledge of a position apart from "run straight ahead." Yeah, he's a bust based on his draft slot and what he was drafted for. It's time to get over it. Rex knows where he'll get the most from Ghost. I just wish he'd have done it sooner. I was saying this all last year. (And I was also tweeting throughout the draft that I felt Rex was ignoring end because he was going to move Gholston there.)

One last note: the contract renegotiation turns it into an incentive based one. So Gholston has little choice but to perform at this point. Otherwise he doesn't even get to keep his payday.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Can't help but think of the skiing scene from "Better off dead" with John Cusack.

"Just go straight, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I great would it be if he turned out to be a beast at DE??

It's not like he can contribute less, so his contributions can only go up.

Maybe they put him there because he has a higher chance of injury.

6. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

lmao people pointing out that he doesn't weigh enough has nothing to do with them thinking that he isn't big enough to push the other lineman

it has to do with the offensive lineman only having to push 270 pounds versus having to push 300+ pounds

and that's not a "slight" difference...

its about the opposition, not gholston

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

4 weeks.

20 Papers.

That's two dollars.....plus tip.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Gholston will get at least 6 sacks as a DE this year, as long a he sees significant playing time.

(I said this on another thread)
    I was watching the Tenn game where they had him in there, and alot of the time he was hard to handle...

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I would love to know how you came up with that since he still cannot disengage with his blockers and getting sacks is the last thing he is supposed to do in this defense right now. His job is to tie up blockers, if he's getting behind them then he's already doing a shitty job.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I think 6 sacks is asking a lot of him. I'll be happy if he gets to the QB a couple times, but spends a lot of time with a double-team. The more OLinemen he has grabbing him, the more effective he'll be.

I'd much prefer he get a double-team and see someone like Pace come around his side to obliterate Tommi Boi. Also, I'd like to continue to see him collapse the pocket, as he's been able to do when he's been put on the LoS in the past.

Something people don't seem to realize when talking about his weight is that it's harder to push 250lbs of muscle backward than it is 275lbs of fat. A guy like Gholston is going to be hard to hold back because he'll be stronger than the guy trying to stop him. Physically, he's got the tools to be a great football player. He just lacks the instinct. Give him a simple instruction like "run straight ahead, and let no one stop you" is exactly what he needs.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Fantasyland is about 900+ miles south of NYC in the middle of Florida..home of the mouse with the big ears.

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Fantasy Island is also there I believe.

I prefer the island.

13. JW69

JW69 New Member

14. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

The Ghost and DE

Last I heard Gholston was moving to the DL. Are we expecting Gholston to put on about 30-40 pounds to play DE? Should he? He is obviously too small for 3-4 DE. And I believe putting on 30 pounds has to be the only option at this point. Anyone Agree?

15. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

16. NYSPORTSNUCCA

NYSPORTSNUCCA Banned

Hi..............................................................

17. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Well I was holding out hope for this guy but I read a tweet today from jay that said gholston has decided against mma training. Oh well I guess your guy were right about him...and I was wroo ...wrrr....wrnnggg!

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Bruce Smith wasn't 300 lb monster, was he?

Ghost may be able to play DE in 3-4, if Rex can find a way to.

*But I think Jets current personnel fits traditional 3-4 better, and Ghost's role will be in line of sub packages where he can line up as a 4-3 DE on passing downs.*

19. rutgers45

rutgers45 New Member

Money aside, I'd be happy if he replaced the production of Marques Douglas.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

To be honest, I think he's fine where's he's at.

Shaun Ellis is 284...

Vernon Gholston is 264... The difference is that he's 264 of solid muscle.

Sure, he could put on some weight, but it wouldn't matter too much. At least not enough to warrant putting on 30lbs of fat, making him slower than he already is...