Some Notes On Our Newly Acquired UDFA's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Dreadmadseen, Apr 25, 2010.

1. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Ezeff and Warren sound very interesting.

2. Jam.

Jam. Banned

It's more like Warren and Coleman battle it out...

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

It's more like Coleman gets tossed out on his ass.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Warren wins.....by default

[​IMG]

5. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Here are two Cumberland Vids.

Video 1:The first play shows a nice adjustment to catch a shitty pass from Juice Williams. The second play speaks for itself.[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgIXJ0cjp0[/YOUTUBE]

Video 2: This is a selction of plays, and basically shows why he went undrafted. He looks soft.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OIWweKIMr0[/YOUTUBE]

At 6'5 255 the guy is a huge target. If they cant get the pussy out of him as far as blocking goes I would expect him to make the team. Hopefully he can develop into a decent blocker.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

I love the Warren pick , and any lineman are welcome too... Rex took getting killed by Manning to heart.

7. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

I think Warren and Lowery will both be seeing safety time.

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

^ We would have Kyle Wilson on that one, wouldn't we?

9. CatoTheElder

After reading Universal Draft's spotlight on Cumberland, I'm really excited to see the CS try to develop him. He looks like a taller version of Keller but he has the frame to add a few pounds.

Like Universal Draft, I'm actually surprised at his blocking when I watch it. He doesn't have the aggression that you want and he seems to hesitate when he's asked to block from a WR/Slot position rather than initiate contact, but his form isn't all that bad. He flashes some victories in his blocks when he's lined up at a tight end. Use this analysis with the second video in Maniac's post:
    If Devlin and Callahan can get him into a more aggressive mindset than the Jets could have something nice with this guy. He just has to get his head right and improve his concentration with his catching. It might be a good idea to subliminally slip the idea that every defender is banging his most recent ex-girlfriend while he sleeps, too.

10. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

You're not the only person I've seen write this about the blocking, but what video are you watching?!

If it's the Universal Draft video above, I don't know what you're talking about. Almost every block the kid makes in that video as a tight end is at least sustained; some are dominating.

I take it you are concerned with the blocks when he's lined up as a wide receiver? That sort-of jog up to the defender? That's pretty textbook. If you're lined up out wide and you sprint ten yards off the line to make a block, your back isn't going anywhere. Cumberland shows good patience in waiting for the DB's to commit before initiating the block.

I'm not calling Cumberland a good blocker, because all I've seen out of the kid is that one video. But anyone who thinks that video showcases a "pussy blocker" doesn't understand what they're watching.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Cumberland has a shot to make this team, but he has to make a name for himself on special teams as well. Carrying two fullbacks may take away a tight end slot.

He has to beat out Matt Mulligan. Keller and Hartsock have their spots locked down. If Cumberland shows that he can block well on special teams, he has a shot.

12. CatoTheElder

I'm not too sure about that one. Depending on how healthy Scott and Harris stay, Rex could decide to let a LB go instead since Conner is going to be filling in the same role on ST. With Westerman looking decent, Cummings might have earned himself a return trip to the practice squad if eligible.

13. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Added S Donye McKleskey to the UDFA list, tryout no signing yet.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll go into games with 5 RBs active... a good question is, was Mulligan on the team 80% for his special team play and 20% for his TE potential or was it more of a 50/50?

If Mulligan was just brought in to be a ST guy than yeah I can see Conner taking his spot but with Keller being the only TE that knows how to catch a ball I can see Mulligan being a projcet all-round TE.

the question then is... what's going to happen first, Mulligan learns how to catch or Cumberland learns how to block?

#34 Mambo9, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I mentioned that earlier when people were talking about carrying two fullbacks, but we have Lance Laury as well...and he'll take up a linebacker spot.

We're going to need some backup inside backers.

With Gholston's move to DE, that frees up at least one linebacker spot.

Conner will be a major contributor on special teams. I think he'll also have a minor role in our offense. ...maybe as an h-back or a third tight end.

Holmes won't be active for the first five weeks, so we're only going to have Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, and David Clowney. Jeff Cumberland might benefit from the lack of receivers. It's more likely that Joe McKnight will play a small role in our offense while Holmes serves his suspension.

Joe McKnight and John Conner more than likely mean the end of Danny Woodhead...thank god.

#35 Mr Electric, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Did you forget about Ben Hartsock. He's our second tight end.

John Conner will be active in every game. I'm almost sure of that. He shouldn't be looked at as a running back. He's a special teamer.

17. CatoTheElder

Why not? Are we really going to be hurt if we deactivate Clowney? At least then we get someone who produces on the field in some way.
    I noticed you edited Jeff Cumberland's name out of your post, but I actually agree with your points on both him and McKnight.

18. 624

624 Banned

Didn't Jason Taylor take up that vacant LB spot?

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Good point.

I completely forgot about Jason Taylor. ...shows how much his signing didn't bother me.

20. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

THIS.

For all the "sky is falling" threads created in the off-season, I haven't seen one "Wow, our coverage teams were uncharacteristically lousy in 2009" thread.

Enter John Conner. Conner and guys like Lance Laury, Kyle Wilson and Donovan Warren are going to return Westhoff's coverage teams to their once dominant form.

You want to talk about immediate needs that had to be addressed? That's what drafting Conner did. I'd love to see Ted Ginn go back-to-back with the squad Westy will be fielding in 2010.