I think Gholston will be a servicable DE this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Jam.

Jam. Banned

What the fuck does that even mean?

2. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Maybe we can sign Jamarcus Russell after he gets cut this week and put him at DE too. He weighs nearly 290.

Then we can have to the two biggest busts on the same line. I don't think thats ever happened before!

3. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Gholston sucks as an OLB. He gets out of position too often, doesn't set the edge well and can't cover anyone when dropping back for pass defense.

But here is one thing he can do. The guy actually is very strong (which is how he got such good combine numbers) and can bull-rush decently. As a 3-4 DE, he plays inside the tackle and doesn't have to set the edge on rushing plays. All he has to do is occupy his blocker, maybe got into the backfield once in a while. Even if he can't disengage his blocker, he's not making the tackle most of the time anyway, so from a running game standpoint, he's MUCH more useful as a DE than as an OLB.

On passing downs, he'll go one-on-one (yea, like anyone's going to double-team him). Sure, he'll get shut out most of the time, but that's a lot better than being out of position on pass defense. Heck, he can pick up a sack once in a while since our secondary will make the QB hold the ball a while. He'd be half-useful on zone-blitzes as long as his responsibility is the full-back or something.

Let's just put it this way. He can't be worse at DE than at OLB, and there's a decent upside to his play at DE.

4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I'm rootin for him...
    Truth is, when you rewatch games and he's on the field the guy can get a push,
    the bad news is that's all he does. No Spin, No Swim just a bull rush.
    We should get Klecko in here to work w/Him.

5. 624

624 Banned

Haha, my exact thoughs Jam.

WTF does that mean?

6. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I love how we talk about him like he's a special needs kid... :shit:

7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

I still don't get this whole fascination with numbers. when people say this they really don't have an understanding of body composition and relative strength. Just because you outweigh a guy by 15 or 20 lbs does not mean you are stronger than him and can generate more force. The reason people use weight when talkign about position is because it's a relative barometer, but there was a zillion other variables. It has nothing to do with gholston, its just basic physiology and also physics.

If you take the average 3-4 DE (who frequently tend to carry a fair amount of bodyfat) and strip most of the bodyfat off them, a lot of these guys would weigh the same as Gholston or even less at a similar bodyfat. Factor in that even for his size, gholston is incredibly strong. Strong or stronger than most of these guys. So the only difference is fat more or less. Heah, ok you may take up slightly more space physically because of the additional fat, and the opposing lineman has slightly less overall weight to push back but that can be counterattacked with the right amount of force.and guess what? if you're explosively fast for that initial burst at your size and strong you can generate a great amount of force.

Now, i'm not saying this is going to translate into success whatsoever. I'm simply talking about the common over generalized assumption that a player must meet specific weight to be a certain position... without taking into account other factors of what comprises that weight. Not only that, but clearly he has an opportunity to put on some pounds to gain additional mass before the season.

As far as 3-4 DE's on the smaller side, Kyle Vanden Bosch is not that heavy.
    our boy ellis is not the trimmest specimen and hes 280-285. Justin Smith also isnt that huge.

If gholston gets up to 275 ish the physical part wont be much of an issue. its the other stuff

8. skipper

skipper Member

I must be really dumb too because I always loose my car in the mall parking lots! I seldom think its stolen, though. I know I'm dumb.

9. Trifco

Trifco New Member

by any chance do you weight around 280?

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

What he's good at is shoving an offensive lineman backward for a little while, never disengaging and making a play, and then hoping the runner runs into him.

That skillset actually isn't that horrible at defensive end. So there's no reason he can't be a backup there. But clearly the staff has given up on him as a pass rusher. I do think they believe he can be useful as a defensive end in this scheme in a rotational role. At least that's what they've said so far with their lack of action in upgrading the position or trying to resign Douglas.

We'll learn more of their faith in Gholston in the coming months to see who else they bring in at defensive end. Mike Devito is better than Gholston at DE, and if they bring in another legit player at DE, that moves Gholston to 4th on the depth chart.

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Kyle Vanden Bosch was a 4/3 DE. Ellis is 285+ as is Smith. Weight is not everything but it plays a role. 280 is a small 3/4 DE 270 is a DE in a 4/3 or OLB. If it didn't make that much of a difference teams would be drafting 3/4 DE that weigh less than 280, but they don't. He is much better suited for a 4/3.

#91 supersonic, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  12. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Still, it's not like we never play 4/3.

And he's not any 270 player, he's one hell of athletic 270 player, which is why some people thought he was worthy that much a couple of years ago; well, he wasn't, but his athletic frame still makes him an extraordinary (as in "not ordinary") 270 player.

13. JetsFan#1

JetsFan#1 Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Your right, he is not any 270 player. He is a 264 player.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So NFLN just told me he was the one who initiated talks with Ryan about EDIT: restructuring his deal because he hasn't lived up to expectations.I didn't hear it correctly... my mad.

But, with moving his position.... he's scared. No confidence in himself, nothing. He can't play football. He's just a big guy, that's it.

I want this girl off the team.

#95 NDmick, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Eithe

ND, agreed: enough with the 'special project' approach. Jack up his course load at DE and flat out throw him to the wolves--sink or swim Vernon. Find out once and for all if he's a Gladiator or a Gladys.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

fuck sink or swim at this point.

He's afraid of the water.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Please don't confuse muscular with athletic.

19. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

Maybe he'll line up at D end with water-wings on.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I actually typed "athlete" in one of my Gholston posts in recent memory... I then hit backspace until "athlete" was off the screen.