I think Gholston will be a servicable DE this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Anything you get out of Gholston this year will be more than everything we've gotten up until now.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You *hope he will be a serviceable DE this year.

Good point here. The man is 264 lbs. of solid muscle. Ellis has been playing at around 285 as a 3-4 DE...physically, he's got the tools. Problem is, he had the physical tools for OLB too. The kid just shows no passion, not as a pass rusher, and that would also seem to translate to being a trench guy. He just doesn't have IT.

Would've been nice to try this out a year ago seeing as how he'll probably need a season to adjust...and is most likely a ghost next season. Hopefully he can contribute at the very least as a road block by keeping BT and Harris free from contact. Pursuit really just isn't his thang.

3. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Really hope that Rodrique Wright is a sleeper like Pouha last season.

4. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

I wouldn't say that. he doesn't have the lateral quickness needed , and can't seem to shed blockers that well, although based on what i remember last year when pace was out...he did a good job of at least commanding double teams. again, totally different skillset

it's mostly mental i believe though, as the reaction for a linebacker is very different. Gap recognition seems to be much more important. and we all know he can't cover for shit.

at DE, at least he's already familiar with setting up at a 3 point technique and i think that's his only chance to salvage his NFL career at all.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I've had alot of beers tonight, and still I don't see shit happening with Gholston. He had best fucking improve.

6. Jetfan2k7

Jetfan2k7 New Member

Gholston couldn't get on the field when pace was suspended, if we get anything out of him now I will be shocked.

7. brothermoose

Agreed, but lateral quickness is more of a coverage/run stopper thing. He was drafted to be a passrusher...make a move and devour...and he blew chunks. It seems that he has always been laissez faire about playing football. He just got lucky and got a few guys in college that couldn't match him physically...that shit doesn't fly in the pros.

That's exactly the problem. His mind ain't there.

And how...

8. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

A little sumpin sumpin from the horse's mouth, via rotoworld:

That explains a shitload. Color me skeptical as well, but I could see Vernon Gholston excelling at getting fat with Rex Ryan's coaching.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Firstly, there really isn't any other option for him than to make this switch -- and, after our Draft, we currently don't have many other options either; we need bodies along the DL.

Secondly, as a few have stated, don't be fooled into conventional criteria of a 3-4 DE's weight: (a) Rex's D isn't conventional and (b) Gholston should be able to compensate his lack of ideal weight with his strength. I guess we shall see.

10. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Vernon Gholston is a giant vagina

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

He is way too small to play 3/4 DE. If he can add 20 pds then MAYBE. At his currrent size he will get tossed like a salad. The guy desperately needs to be traded to a 4/3 team to play DE in that scheme for him to have a snowball's chance to produce in the NFL.

12. jets_fan_in_fishtown

this made me lol very much

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I think people view weight way too numerically. I'm well aware that 3-4 DEs are usually (and necessarily) bigger, but it's not like it's a law.

If Gholston gains 10lbs instead of 20, will he then be able to successfully anchor 3-4 DE? What if he gains 17lbs? 12lbs?

My point is, weight isn't the sole determinant.

14. brothermoose

Too bad he isn't practicing what he preaches anymore...

This would appear to make sense, but I really just don't think he has the passion to be either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB, which are essentially the same position when it comes to blitzing. Coverage of the flats, another dark area for the ghost, is the major difference. Is it possible that he is overthinking as an OLB because of the added duty?

I think a good argument could be made for yes. I made the same transition in high school (not exactly the same), and found that I overthought way too much when I was standing up and trying to read plays. I missed the trenches, maybe he does too. We'll find out soon enough. He has no business near a Rex Ryan stunt defense though. He needs a nice vanilla cover-2 to ever have a chance IMO.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Yep. Although, I think maybe we get something out of him with the right motivation. Money didn't work, insults didn't work, it's time to get drastic.

Rex needs to threaten his life. Last chance, drastic times, drastic measures. Call him in and tell him that if he fails, Rex will eat him, cutting off one piece at a time. And with his lap band surgery, it'll take a long fucking time. Maybe slice off an ear and chew it just to show he's serious. I think Rex loves this team enough to do it.

16. jets_fan_in_fishtown

yeah, i dont get that either. people are so fixated when they hear a number. body composition and strength are much more a factor. now obviously a big fat strong lineman will occupy more space even if they have high bodyfat, but it can't be THAT much of a deal breaker.

The one thing gholston has going for him is that he's way stronger than most guys 20 lbs bigger than him. He's pretty much pure muscle, compared to a guy who may outweigh them by 20-25 lbs, but be a higher bodyfat percentage. The guy can squat 500 lbs+, which means he clearly has lower body strength, and got 37 reps on the bench press which is more than most O or D linemen. To give people an idea, russel okung benched 38 and that was the 2nd highest for offensive lineman. Okung weighs 310 lbs

so yeah, when people mention hes gonna get tossed around like a ragdoll etc, that's really the least of the concerns.

his technique, his fundamentals, and his mental state are what are going to decide if this guy can somewhat contribute or whether he'll be out of the nfl in a couple of years

17. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Exactly. The fact that our defense actually got better when Jenkins got injured is downright scary.

18. Jam.

Jam. Banned

If not, maybe we can get Jamarcus Russel to do it.

19. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Unlike most, I don't think Gholston's problem is his heart, as he's in absolutely amazing shape and you don't get that strong by avoiding workouts. I think his problem is that his hips are way too stiff. Thus he doesn't have enough balance to pull off any moves, and he's not quick enough to get by linemen. Not to mention our defense as a whole doesn't get too many sacks. If he was bigger, he'd be a great 3-4 de. But he's only 270lbs. Thus, he's an average to an above-average 3-4 de for us. He's not worth the 6th overall pick. At this point, I hope they give him a few shots in the DE rotation. I think moving Gholston to DE is the reason why we didn't draft a d-lineman (which kind of dissappointed me).

20. brothermoose

Ur right, but what this guy's got to say about it weighs in heavily (pun intended)...

[​IMG]