I think Gholston will be a servicable DE this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

It's about time they finally aborted this idea of playing linebacker for him.

He's a freak of nature physically and can easily put on 20-25 lbs on his frame, assuming he hasn't put on mass already. Him at 285ish is a lot different than another guy who doesn't have the body composition at 300+, so that's not a concern because his raw strength should compensate for that. most DE's are not 7% bodyfat ish or anywhere close. So the size issue is not a concern. The one thing gholston can actually do somewhat well is bullrush anyways.

He'll never meet the expectations nor his draft position, but i think he can contribute this year and perhaps beyond. it's where his instincts are based and I really believe it'll alleviate the pressure off him. I always believed it's not gholston's fault he was drafted as early as he was or the expectations that were placed on him. It was just a stupid pick, period. Had he been drafted in the 3rd round no one would be complaining.
    and it's not for his lack of dedication, because everyone says that he works hard. He just doesn't "get it" and has made a horrible transition to LB.

Dare I say...and i would put money on this.
    hold your breath....

he finally gets a sack this year, despite not being at a position that accumulates sacks in this defense

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

i cant believe you created a vernon gholston thread.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

pass the booze around....don't hog it.

4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I think anyone on this forum has about the same chance to succeed at DE as Gholston does this year.

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

haven't seen one in awhile. it was due

no, but seriously...rex brought that up in the press conference today and it is relevant.

what's funny is i used the word "serviceable" and already getting semi flamed for that mildly optimistic idea. we'll see.

6. jetsandtheunder

I hope you're fucking right

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Don't hold your breath.

Gholston is on life support....last chance.

8. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Rex seemed confident in the presser today, but he is pretty undersized in stature and heart. Don't count on it but I'm thinking it will be a better switch for him.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

the reason gholston is being moved to the line is because they have to try something to get any sort of value out of him, i am about 100% sure that no one in the NFL would trade a 7th for the guy right now he has been that abysmal.

as the others have said this is gholstons last chance to try and make anyone think he deserves to be a player in the NFL. If he can't figure this out when we cut him next february, he will be out of the league for good, and all those extra millions he could make would go right with it.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Truthfully I think Gholston would need another year before he can be any use @ DE. Takes a while to put on the weight and get used to the changes.

Then again no idea to tell how long hes known he would be playing DE this year

11. Jam.

Jam. Banned

If you're talking about base 3-4 DE...then I disagree. However, if you're talking about DE in nickel and dime formations, I would tend to agree with you. There could be a chance he could accumulate a coverage sack.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I don't.

Fills.

13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I guess that explains why we didn't draft a D-lineman, sort of. Could be just an excuse though. I hope they're right.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

my god i hope you're right

15. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I think Rodrique Wright and Rex's scheme itself are the reasons a DL wasn't drafted.

16. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i will say one thing. using a player - no matter how skilled - makes a huge difference in performance. it's cliche, but the mental part of the game is nearly as important as the physical. i don't have faith in gholston, but a 'change of scenery' at least is a crack in the door with a little light shining.

17. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Miami = Cocaine = This thread.

18. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i agree. the scheme managed to slow down the qb enough to make a decent pass rusher like pace look even better. i think the scheme buys the defense an extra second. which is huge. only the top top qbs will be able to stand up to it. so we're already at an advantage in that respect. makes elite pass rushers less of a priority and can mask some deficiencies.

19. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I'm glad we've left the whole "trying to fit a square peg in a round hole" mentality. Now we've moved on to triangles...

#19 Vorrecht, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  20. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I refuse to show hope for Vernon because he's screwed us so many times before. HOWEVER, I will say that he would potentially be the type of player that could make the switch to a 34 end. He has the strength, and he has the frame, and he might be able to one day be serviceable there.

That said, a healthy Rodrique Wright provides a better, more legitimate option.