Leon Washington traded.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Keithnyj, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

im gutted as of this moment, just logged on to see how the draft went today and did not think we would have traded Leon. Before last season my two favourites players were Rhodes and Washington and now they are both gone. I know Leon had to recover from an injury and everything but if he gets back to where he was we are going to look stupid for what we traded him for.

Gutted!!!

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

By the way, as much as I don't like Alvin the Shitmunk, anyone who is trying to bash Leon today can go fuck themselves with a hard rake.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The comment that I commented on was discussing leon not taking the deal LAST YEAR.

You guys have to read all the posts, the original ones and the ones I respond to. we were discussing LAST YEAR before the injury.

AGAIN, using that flawed line of thinking we should have traded Kris Jenkins for a pick.

yeah, a guy that averages almost 5 YPC for his career is clearly nopthing more than a 4th rd talent b/c that's where he was drafted.

4. I'm totally against drafting solely for need. I'm a firm believer in the BPA approach. But I also think you go BPA and hope that the needs match up.

I've kind of taken a step back and am now ok w/ the moves. I wanted this to be a "best player available lets build some serious depth kind" of draft. The F.O went with a draft for value and replace some aging or depleting players with some young guys with alot of upside(and will be alot cheaper).

As for the DL...somebody made a great point that we usually only dress 4-5 d-liners a game anyway. And Rex mentioning Pioitua and Gholston now taking on some of that load..I'm willing to grit my teeth till next draft.

We got younger, arguably more talented and saved some money at the same time.Considering which,the fact that we're still an elite team..and it's hard to argue objectively

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

someone remind me again what role Leon was going to play on this team? fact is he was a luxury, not a necessity, who was going to be gone next year anyways, and the team's success this season was going to barely ride on him, if it depended on him at all. we had a glut at RB, we have KR's, all of whom aren't coming off injuries.

could we have used him? of course. but what part of our game is going to miss him? I can't think of it.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

This is news to me

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

No, not because he might get injured.
    His deal was on the table waaay before his injury, but that deal has nothing (maybe) to do wit why he was traded.
    We will need a healthy option than can fill for Greene (injury prone so far), LT, (miles).
    Yes its still a gamble going with a rookie, but so is Leon, but a far more expensive one.
    We now have alot of holes covered that Leon would have filled. Surplus to requirements.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I don't seem to recall Leon having that much success last year before the injury, I loved Leon but my whoel stance is that the guy can barely run still and the injury took place in what October?

9. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

You talk in circles - a walking contradiction... go have beer

10. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

He actually would of been used nicely as a PR/KR and IMO most importantly what Sanchez was missing was good dump offs for yards from a lighting RB and screen passes whenever he was in trouble, thats definitely something the Jets will miss and Sanchez would of needed.

LT and McKnight can be those type of screen play guys now but that's what Leon would of also been on our offense next year.

11. gustoonarmy

This from Mayock ([​IMG])

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

The Leon trade isn't a bad one. That is a very serious injury. He wasn't gonna have a big role on the team and the FB they took is very good. The Faneca release bothers me.

13. gustoonarmy

The Jets will not miss Leon, sorry. All of what you've mentioned is covered.

14. Tre ko

Tre ko New Member

Leon is my boy and the whole nine yards, but he was the one who hired Alvin Keels. Instead of taking the $5 million and pushing for $6 million, he now has $1.8, and a new team.

The Jets traded up to pick Joe McKnight in the same fourth round they had gotten Leon in. McKnight is not as explosive as leon and he's had nagging injuries. Leon has had a compound fracture and nothing significant before this injury.

Players pull the "my agents said" card when they don't want to be held accountable for the decisions they make. Keels works for Leon; Leon had decisions to make and he did not. His indecsion, became his decision.

I have spoken to Leon's high school running backs coach today and he said Leon did not even see this coming.

15. Green Lantern 80

I loved watching Leon too. He made the game exciting...but how many running backs who play the game like he does come back from an injury like that? If he is only running a straight line, were we to take the risk that he would make a full return to last year's form by preseason? I guess we had to choose the new kid as there was less risk with him. I will miss watching Leon though. Good luck little man. Please tell your wife to shut up.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Why? Everyone's trying to blame his agent for this one when he hired that fucking clown.

This guy got greedy and things didn't work out for him, so we told him to back his bags.

He was a pretty good player here, but the Tomlinson signing pushed him down the depth chart and the Joe McKnight selection pushed him out the door.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I wish LEON well--we all love him at least most of us---but this is a business and sometimes it sux-----------many of us thought he might be traded after signing his tender-------and once they drafted the kid from USC and traded picks to do it--well my point is I do not believe LEON was totally blindsided by this--good luck 29 thanks for everything

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

This.

filler

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so, you are agreeing with me that he is not leaving a void, thus there isn't much to be concerned about in regards to his departure.

he's a very good player, and I'm willing to bet the team valued him and made him an appropriate offer based on his expected role on the team. he did not accept it, obviously because he felt he was being underused and thus under valued. that's fine, and because so he was never going to be happy on the Jets. he doesn't want to be a 3rd option, dump off back and KR, as the Jets considered him as and wanted to pay him as. he wants to be a RB and get paid for it. that was never going to happen on the Jets so they had to move him for whatever they could get. the shame is that he was injured and we couldn't get more.

both Leon and the Jets took a risk and both lost in it as far as compensation.

20. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

I like the picks of McKnight and Connor based on the reports we have at hand.

While at first I was not happy with the Leon and a 7th trade, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a wide difference of opinion between Leon's doctors and the Jets team doctors despite what has been reported.

Did Leon stay away because his progress and outlook was less than the Jets were expecting? It's been evident that Keels looks out primarily for himself but that is a choice Leon made. But with his wife's comments it also appears Keels isn't the only one overvaluing Leon. I like Leon as a player but if you aren't the feature back then you can't expect to be paid as the feature back based upon what another team decides to pay a player on their team. If that were the case there would be a hell of a lot of quarterbacks making Eli Manning's money.