Leon Washington traded.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Keithnyj, Apr 24, 2010.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

So you're comparing a guy who scores 4 tds a year and is coming off a broken leg to a guy who shuts down receivers like it's going out of style....? The 50th best RB in the league vs the best CB in the league? Are you seriously making this argument?

2. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

AFC Championship game, Cromartie, Holmes...They make some bad moves.

3. ........

........ Trolls

He IS versatile. When McKnight came out of high school, he was regarded as the next Reggie Bush. He was regarded as a surefire #1 overall pick at one point. He never lived up to those expectations, because he's NOT Reggie Bush. He's versatile, but not like Bush. However, he's been a better pure running back than Bush was. Given that Bush is better than Leon, I'd say it's not a stretch to suggest that McKnight is, too. He's a guy we can pair with Greene for years.

Revis' agent won't act like Keels, nor will there be reason to. Revis will get paid like he deserves, just as Leon could have been paid what he deserves. The difference is, Revis' contract is going to be a fat one. The FO will have no problem with that. They just didn't want to overpay Leon at the sacrifice of another more integral player.

Favre, Gholston...whoppers of bad deals.

Leon, Feely? No. And you know I like both players quite a bit. I just don't agree with you that their value was high enough to HAVE to keep them. Besides, Feely's departure brought us a pass rusher we desperately needed.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Yes he did, he just never had enough touches. He was a threat to score from anywhere on the field, the man w/ opurt putrid OL in 2007 averaged 5.0 YPC. if leon was a feature back he'd easily surpass 1,000 yds every year. Imagine if the Giants did the same thing to Tiki?

What does the difficult financial offseason coming up have to do w/ this year? if that's the case don't bring in old players like LT and Taylor. Leon could have played this year for us and we could have let him go next year w/o paying him big $.

There aren't prgamtaic reasons, we let Jones go who would have signed for the same amount LT signed, we let feely go for little $, we let Leon go for nothing. If it was cap related or play related I'd understand but it's not.

I didn't bring it up, to say we made the title game w/o Leon so we didn't need him is foolish.

of course not, he's only ther best kicker we have ever had but now we have a younger, cheaper kicker who couldn't kick PATs last year.

5. nyjunc

OK, if Cotch's agent does the same thign do we ship him out of town? happier?

I respect you Ignatius but you aren't really talking about HS reputation are you?

Leon has been better than Bush in the NFL so if Mcknight isn't as good as Bush wouldn't that tell us he's not as good as leon?

so when Taylor does his usual disappearance in big games and Folk misses a 35 yd FG to win a game what will we be saying about that move?

6. ........

........ Trolls

Like I said, I didn't like the value we got in return, but I understand. At this point, there is no guarantee that Leon was going to play for us this year. He's still hurt at this point.

However, the BEST case scenario would have been for him to have a huge year for us this season, depart, and net us a higher compensatory pick. I don't see that happening since he was going to be 3rd on the depth chart, but I suppose it would have been possible.

LT and Taylor are on short term contracts. There is no reason why they HAVE to impact our future contract negotiations.

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

uuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhh... Really?? Going to get cheese and wine and tissues... this is gonna be long and drawn out

8. nyjunc

I'd rather him play for us this year and lose him w/ no pick than to give him away for nothing this year which is what we did.

9. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

If we resign Edwards and Holmes....absolutely.

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Two things come into play with Leon, should have signed the contract that was on offer. If he didn't break his leg, maybe hes still a Jet and this conversation is moot.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

hahah I love the junc meltdown.

12. ........

........ Trolls

I'm only bringing up HS reputation to give you an idea of why a guy so talented could have gone in the 4th round. McKnight slipped in part because he has never been the guy he was touted to be coming out of high school. I've heard it repeatedly leading up to the draft from scouts and analysts. People STILL carry over unrealistic expectations. He's a DIFFERENT back than people wanted him to be, but he's also a BETTER back in some ways. He was great value for that spot for us.

Again, McKnight is a better pure running back than Bush who was brought in along with several other top RBs. He's been the best of the best committee college football has likely ever seen, but it has limited his playing time because of Carroll's philosophy when it comes to his backs.

As far as Folk, I have a lot of faith in Chris Sailer. I've had experience with a couple of his kicking prospects, one of whom is at Stanford, another at UCLA. He's a great coach, and he's been working to correct the injury-based mechanics problems that Folk had. If he fails, I'll admit I was wrong. I just don't think he will.

13. ........

........ Trolls

We gave him away for the best FB in the draft. We may not like the value (and I'm torn), but it was certainly more than "nothing".

I have an authentic Leon jersey hanging in the closet right now. It kills me to see him gone, but I get it.

14. gustoonarmy

I actually think this will work out better for Leon, who lets face it, we all love.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

NThis I'm not happy about. We gave LW away.

16. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

Same ole' junc I see, can't reason with him. He'll just beat you down with paragraph after paragraph of twisted logic. Better to nod politely and back away slowly.

17. gustoonarmy

Thought crossed my mind too , dammit!

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I have a bootleg Leon jersey, it doesn't hurt as much!

19. gustoonarmy

I appreciate people with strong views, right or wrong. Isn't that what footballs about?

20. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

yeah I know... love the passion... but man oh man!!!!!