Leon Washington traded.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Keithnyj, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Just play to the best of his ability and not worry about being an heir. He is going to a winning football team with a lot of talent. There should be no pressure on the kid to be spectacular.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

LT is old, Leon, coming off a serious injury, Greene, injury prone......the Colts game should be enough to remind you how much our running game needs very decent back up.
    Shocked me at first, but an intelligent move.

3. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

Maybe because this front office, which has shown an uncanny ability to judge talent, thought there was more value in drafting another position than picking up a perceived need whose talent was severely suspect?

Just a thought.

Drafting players strictly from the basis of need is a recipe for mediocrity.

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Did we really just trade Leon Washington for a fucking 5th round pick ?

5. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was posted, but Leon Washington's wife basically listed one of the reason's why we traded her husband, especially after his injury.

NJ.com "Washington's wife, Charity, tweeted: "Good Luck paying the 20 people due contracts @ the end of the season. Lol. Thank You Jesus for getting us out of here."

6. rcali2524

rcali2524 New Member

Leon was a fan favorite and he played great for us. That being said he is coming back from a significant injury that requires extensive rehab and who knows if he will be the same back. Good thing we dont have to find out if he is or isnt. Couldnt of picked a better place to ship him off even if he does regain his old explosive form. He is on the other side of the country in the NFC West. I wish all the best for him. That being said we addressed 2 needs with this move.

1) Joe Mcknight- is his replacement. He is just as explosive if not more of a home run threat. Time will tell. He is not coming off an injury, he is younger and he played with Sanchez before. I can see Shotty using him as a dual threat for Sanchez. He will make a great receiver out of the backfield and a big play threat every time he touches the ball.

2) John Conner -We have a fullback waiting in the wings to take over for T-rich as this is going to be his last year. I dont know much about this guy but the more i read the more i like. A typical fullback smash you in the mouth, block my ass off and be a great lead blocker in the hole type of guy. Exactly what we have in Tony now. What a great way to mentor a rookie fullback with similar traits as the best in the business but to be coached up by the best in the business.

We will be fine guys. I loved leon just as much as the next die hard fan but i have faith in the organization and the moves we've made. If everything pans out the way Rex and Mr. T planned it out over the past 2 months, oh what a great season we are in for fellas.

7. rcali2524

rcali2524 New Member

Leon was a fan favorite and he played great for us. That being said he is coming back from a significant injury that requires extensive rehab and who knows if he will be the same back. Good thing we dont have to find out if he is or isnt. Couldnt of picked a better place to ship him off even if he does regain his old explosive form. He is on the other side of the country in the NFC West. I wish all the best for him. That being said we addressed 2 needs with this move.

1) Joe Mcknight- is his replacement. He is just as explosive if not more of a home run threat. Time will tell. He is not coming off an injury, he is younger and he played with Sanchez before. I can see Shotty using him as a dual threat for Sanchez. He will make a great receiver out of the backfield and a big play threat every time he touches the ball.

2) John Conner -We have a fullback waiting in the wings to take over for T-rich as this is going to be his last year. I dont know much about this guy but the more i read the more i like. A typical fullback smash you in the mouth, block my ass off and be a great lead blocker in the hole type of guy. Exactly what we have in Tony now. What a great way to mentor a rookie fullback with similar traits as the best in the business but to be coached up by the best in the business.

We will be fine guys. I loved leon just as much as the next die hard fan but i have faith in the organization and the moves we've made. If everything pans out the way Rex and Mr. T planned it out over the past 2 months, oh what a great season we are in for fellas. :jets:

8. Cribb

Cribb New Member

I would have preferred to see Leon on the roster this year. However, if you piece a few things together it can't be all that shocking.

1. No one knows how he will bounce back from the gruesome leg injury
    2. His agent is a complete tool and has unrealistic expectations about his client
    3. He spent his rehabilitation and training down in Florida rather than working with the Jets staff
    4. He skipped voluntary workouts last season
    5. He was likely going to split at the end of the season

This was a fairly deep draft this year and players in round 5 can play. So I suppose at least the team got something for him. Although it would have been fun to see how he rebounds this year.

9. GrifinMil

GrifinMil Member

I was ok with Jones gone, couldn't care less about Rhodes, not too pleased with Faneca
    going but man I am really sad about Washington. I keep thinking about that ovation he got in Times Square during the rally last year. Had to be the largest for anyone on that
    platform. Plus I just saw him on an interview talking about how happy he was to be re-signed. We were 30 minutes away from The Super Bowl, now there's a pretty significant
    new chemistry. Hope to hell it works.

10. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

LOL... bitter much??? no one is going to pay them this year... he only gets paid if he survives and entire season, his agent is now someone else's problem. Weather its here or there, he's playing for a contract... and God had nothing to do with it... Alvin Keels did it

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

absolutely ridiculous. We have away Leon for nothing and replaced him w/ someone half as good in Joe McKnight.

I love this regime but I am absolutely disgusted w/ what they did to leon. It boggles my mind a player as good as Leon we gave away for nothing. They couldn't even get a 5th, they had to throw in a 7th w/ leon. Congrats Seattle, You fleeced us and I hope you flip him to NE ort Miami so he can torment us for years.

12. nyjunc

Nope, we also threw in a 7th round pick w/ leon to get that 5th round pick.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Are you fucking kidding me? You support the team, not the player. Fuck sake man, these dudes are in the smallest % to play pro ball and make $0000+.
    Leon, great guy, loved the Jets, but this is business, and who knows what McKnight will do. We might not even need him. Who knows what Leon will be like after his injury.
    Fuck, Junc, love you man, but get real.

14. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

LOL, you guys are over valuing Leon SO MUCH. He's a RB, coming off a BROKEN LEG. And Let's be honest....we have a KR, we have a PR, we have RB's. He also wasn't going to be on the team after this season. I know you all liked him and he was good player, but jeez. It's not like he's Curtis Martin.

15. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

Joe McKnight is half as good as Leon Washington? Jesus... what do you base this stuff on? Are you a professional scout? Do you think you're a better talent evaluator than what the Jets have?

Some of you seriously overrate the talent on this team, Washington was a nice player, but my God do a bunch of you lack perspective.

How will we ever replace a fourth round draft pick, who was strictly a 3rd down back coming off of a broken leg?

Does no one remember how awful our running game was last year after Washington went down?

Oh, the humanity.

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I don't think the FO/CS ever valued Leon as a legit option at the RB position. Good for a couple of carries here or there but not very useful in the type of system we used last year. They gave it a shot and tried to up his carries last season and he got injured. A freak injury for sure, but an injury no less. McKnight projects better as a #2 RB in the event of an injury to Greene or Tomlinson or down the line after LT departs.

It sucks to see Leon go but this was not a really devastating move from a football standpoint.

17. nyjunc

What leon does or doesn't do is irelevant, what McKnight does or doesn't do is irrelevant. We gave away a valuable player for nothing.

This is a business and it's bad business what the jets did w/ leon and I'm pissed.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Fuck her... she can thank Alvin Keels for screwing her husband. He had the potential to be a well paid guy on a team contending for a SB in the largest media market in the world, instead he'll be a forgotten nobody on a team nobody gives a shit about.

As for what we just did.... I'm scratching my head, I've got no problem with us trading Leon but I take issue with us trying to screw him and us ending up with a practice sqaud guy that probably wasn't going to get drafted in Connor.

#78 Barry the Baptist, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  19. nyjunc

I watched the guy play enough to know.

Some of us overrated our talent but some of us overrate unproven draft picks. I swear some supposed Jet fans love draft day more than game day.

who cares where leon was picked? He played like a 1st round pick in his time here and we gave him away for nothing. If we were going to get rid of him at least get something and to get a 5th and give up a 7th isn't worth it.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Joe McKnight is a much better pure running back than Leon Washington was. I love Leon. He was explosive for us, and I sure as hell wanted to get more for him if we lost him. That's certainly no reason to malign a very good RB, though.

Let's also not discount Leon and his agent's own role in this. He had an opportunity to re-sign and get his contract in place BEFORE we had to worry about all of our other young players. They didn't do so. Someone had to be sent off in order to make it easier to keep players, and he made the choice easier.

As far as flipping him to NE and Miami "so he can torment us"? What the hell?