Darren Sharper wants to be a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanatic389, Apr 13, 2010.

1. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

Darren Sharper: Jets Might be One Free Safety Away from Getting a Super Bowl Ring

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2010/4/14/1422792/darren-sharper-jets-might-be-one

man. this guy really wants to be a Jet. i'm not opposed at all, I don't think Brodney Pool is the answer.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Neither are a long term option. Still, Sharper may be the best stop-gap option this team has ever seen at any position given how much talent is currently on this team.

3. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

man how fuckin good does it feel to say that? two years ago, we were coming off a 4-12 season with one of the worst offensive lines i've ever seen and kellen clemens as our starting quarterback.

4. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I'll take Sharper as a stop gap any day long as they bring in a young mid to late round guy to start learning from him now.

i think Sharper would feast in a def like ours.

that being said picking him up would be the final touch to an insane offseason as is.

i doubt it happens, i think he might just be trying to milk more money out of NO. plus any player with real passion has to admit how nice it would be to play for a staff like ours.

the organization has done a 180 and i fuckin love it.

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If Sharper wants to take a really low salary (which is all we can give him right now), or wait until July 22nd, I'd take him in a second, no doubt about it. Sharper could make this defense one of the best in history. I'm not even exaggerating there, the talent and coaching combination would be downright scary.

The only thing that kept this defense from being truly elite last year was a lack of forcing turnovers and scoring on those turnovers. A ballhawking safety (or a dynamo pass rusher) are ways to do that. Sharper has the most games with 50+ return yards in NFL history and 75+ return yards in NFL history. He had 9 picks last year in 14 games. He is 34 years old, and it's difficult to ask him to repeat a 9 INT year, but he would be perfect for this defense.

The ball is entirely in his court. If he wants to be a Jet, he has to either take a pay cut or wait. It's that simple, assuming we want him.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Oh man... This is so true.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

What's to stop us from offering him a really low salary right now, and promising to raise it after the 22nd?

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You said it Mack. Adding Sharper to the mix would make this team/defense one for the history books.
    WOW!!!

9. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

The dude interviewing him is really annoying as is the chick cackling away in the background.

That being said, I think he wants to be a Jet and why wouldn't he?

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Not quite sure. Don't think the NFL would like that. Plus, ask Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles about what happens when Tanny "promises" to raise their contracts.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'm fairly certain the bonus money would count as part of the yearly salary which would put us in violation of the F8 rules.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If it becomes "cool" to be a Jet, then Tomlinson and Favre won't be the only big names the Jets acquired in the offseason.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

who says he doesn't understand what the Jets are able to pay? what are the odds that you do, but an actual player in the NFL who wants to be on the team does not?

not to mention the fact that he can wait another month or so and make more money, so he is able to play for the Jets and not have to squeeze into that salary allotment. are you honestly saying you'd rather not have him than have to wait until July to sign him and would rather he fuck off? I mean, that's what you've said. or am I mistaking what "take the discount or fuck off means," as if it is the only option he has?

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Whatever. I really don't care about Darren Sharper and his desires, and would rather find out if Brodney Poole can be the long-term answer than roll out the red carpet for Sharper and let him decide if he wants to sign the dotted line.

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm all for Poole too but I want a championship. If Sharper gets this team that much closer so be it. I've been a fan since the early 80's and quite honestly I've never seen a Jets teams with this much talent. One more guy that gives us a chance to score a defensive TD when he's on the field gives this team just one more weapon.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed, and I'm not against signing him, I just don't give a shit if we don't.

Apparently JetBlue is upset that I won't care if he doesn't sign.

17. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Just wondering. I know Darren Sharper is a UFA, so is there any way the Saints can lock him up before July 22nd (that's the date right?) by franchising him or something? Basically I'm wondering if there's any way that Darren Sharper can "force" his way onto the Jets by waiting until we can sign UFAs freely.

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

1st off this guy ^ just needs to give his gotham green away and go be Pats fan or something with the others guys that dont know poop about football

sharper is play maker and a ball hawk just like its been mentioned several times on here that ability to turn a turnover into points was the only thing that seperated the 2009 D from being elite

and I personaly could see 2-3 GOOD more years come out of sharper so I say why not sign him, is it the only component left to be accounted for no (DE,OLB,QB) but I dont agree with the comfort level of alot of fans on here that are ok with Pool or Smith taking over this year

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Man if somehow Sharper ends up being a Jet then...wow....just wow...no words

Obviously I'm aware it's likely a pipe dream but still

20. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I'm really worried about Pool's migraines and concussion issues.