I'm not convinced ...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by truthbtold, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 New Member

I will admit that Marshall is a risk. That is what really scares me about him. I honestly don't know how he will fair in that department in Miami. With a fresh start and a lot of $ to not mess up, I do think it is possible he can stay out of trouble. I would never bet that he WILL, but I do think he will fair better than when he did in Denver with Parcells and Sparano overlooking him.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sometimes you have to take risks w/ an incredible talent like that. I think alot of his problems had to do w/ the Darent Williams murder and being out of denver will help him. Just like Cromartie and holmes this move is risky b/c the player has problems but I think he'll be fine in Miami. My one concern would be that they paid him already, at least w/ Cromartie and Holmes those guys have to prove themsleves again BUT I do think Marshall will not act up- at least in the short term.

We are going to have some fun battles w/ you guys these next few years.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

unfortunately, a player only has a lot of money at risk if they are hoping to get a contract. Marshall, at this point, has nothing to lose, he got his $27 million or how much in guaranteed money already, and that is what players aim for -- what is guaranteed. the rest of the contract is secondary. most players never see the rest of the contract.

it's hard for a club to get money back from a player once they pay it.

4. FinFan4Ever

FinFan4Ever Member

Not really...The Lions gave Charles Rogers $9 million upfront, he got into all that trouble and is out of football. Just last week a judge ordered Rogers to pay back $6 million to the Lions. I'm pretty sure the Dolphins are covering themselves and putting certain parameters in the contract in case Marshall acts up again.

5. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

CHARLES ROGERS, 68 CATCHES AND 13 TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6u5DhuGxw[/YOUTUBE]

I remember back in 03 how I really wanted a WR badly after losing Coles off that fine year he had, I was hoping either of A. Johnson or Rogers dropped to us at 4. It obviously didn't happen, but we dodged a bullet with Rogers.

It's a shame too, because I thought he'd be good. Maybe if he didn't keep breaking his clavicles and doing dumb shit off the field, he woulda came good.

6. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

As far as YAC catch is concerned I was a little more impressed with Austin than Mashall last year, but either way the Jets secondary better be ready to do some tackling if Marshall gets his hands on the ball. Thank Revis for Revis.

7. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Or just put Revis on him. That's better than triple teaming him.

8. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Well done, sir.

9. 624

624 Banned

Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall are all in a league of their own...you could make an argument for any one of them.

10. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

If you're speaking of pure physical skill set, IMO it'd be pretty unfair not to include Calvin Johnson in that group.

11. steelzeppelin

steelzeppelin Member

I bet those numbers go down now that he has to face us twice a season

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I went on record saying I didn't want Marshall on the Jets, weeks ago. All things being equal, Holmes is getting better and better but still isn't close to being as good as BM. However, he came at a much cheaper price, a price that made his cost much more than palatable given his problems.

Marshall makes the Fins better for sure. He also makes them riskier as he is a nut case that brings a brand of bullshit into the locker room as well. To my knowledge Holmes isn't a locker room cancer or a coach killer, he just kills himself. I think that is a vast difference between the two negating the discrepancy in their talent levels. We shall see though.........

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'm not convinced that he is going to be that big of a headcase with Miami. He's removed from the site of a horribly traumatic incident in his life which should help him. I'm not saying he is going to be an angel but a lot of the bullshit that he was responsible for in Denver should disappear.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They didn't get that cap space back that he ate up. fans don't care whether their team gets their money back, they want cap space to get another player or more. IF he has problems and doesn't live up to his potential it could be a diastrous deal for Miami. Again, I expect he'll be fine but you never know.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Every other team has to worry about him but with Revis we are good.

Sure he may have a big catch here and there on him but Henne is going to have to throw a perfect ball and Marshall has to be ready to battle every single catch.

This is a great addition for the phins, but they have a lot tied up in him now so that limits what they can do going forward.

They needed a lot more then a top WR, there defense still has holes.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The only one they have ever had that was better than Marshall is Paul Warfield. In a few years time Marshall can pass him as the best Miami has ever had.

17. F.I.N.S

F.I.N.S Member

I'd throw Mark Clayton in that conversation as well...

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He benefited quite a bit from Marino throwing him the ball.

Still a good point, most great receivers benefit from a great QB.

1984 was a sick year-

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yeah, but he wasn't as good as Warfield was or Marshall is.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Exactly. From a talent standpoint, he's absolutely an elite receiver and it's a great addition. From a character standpoint, I think the discussions of him as an inevitable screw up in Miami are somewhat overrated. The problem I see for Miami is that they've given him such a fat contract that it could limit their window to compete. They've gotten younger at several positions, and if all of those players pan out, they enter into the same problem we're facing of potentially not being able to sign anyone. The difference is, I don't foresee us giving that kind of money to any position other than the QB. Starting next season, they have almost $12 million per season tied up in a guy who doesn't touch the ball on every play. It's tough to keep all of your needs met when you do that. They're already having to sacrifice their run game as a result, as evidenced by the Brown trade rumors.